n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
kudos:2
reply to horacebork

Re: voip is digital - why use an ata?

Sound is analog. There is no such thing as "digital sound".

Converting the representation of sound from analog to digital can take place anywhere you want -- from the phone in your hand, to the CO of the telephone company.
--
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms
said by n1zuk:

Sound is analog. There is no such thing as "digital sound"....

ok ok. not *that* wet behind my ears..

i suppose what i'm asking is more along the lines of: which kind of phone should i be using with my digital voip service? the ones that you plug in a cat5 or rj45 line?

maybe i'm making an assumption here: aren't there some voip adapters that have cat5 *out* to the phone?
--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

2 edits
said by horacebork:

said by n1zuk:

Sound is analog. There is no such thing as "digital sound"....

ok ok. not *that* wet behind my ears..

i suppose what i'm asking is more along the lines of: which kind of phone should i be using with my digital voip service? the ones that you plug in a cat5 or rj45 line?

maybe i'm making an assumption here: aren't there some voip adapters that have cat5 *out* to the phone?

No, IP phones plug directly into your router and each is setup directly to your provider(s). Any phone-to-phone handoff or call sharing takes place via settings with the provider.

(Edit: You can have your own pbx on site, like Asterisk, and take care of this call handling and routing yourself. In this case your provider simply is an incoming and/or outbound "route").

That is one point of simplicity with a single line analog setup with an ATA: You can transfer a call from phone to phone using conventional "hold" on phone 1 and just picking up phone 2. You can share a conversation just by picking up the second phone while a conversation is going on via phone 1.

sarahportman

join:2012-10-31
reply to n1zuk
said by n1zuk:

Sound is analog. There is no such thing as "digital sound".

He's right! I think cat5 you should use for your digital voip service.