spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to plencnerb

Re: Arris TM722G purchased from Best Buy?

Im my market it was killed after a year. In the entire year 3 units were sold. All the outcry about purchasing modems, then no one purchased modems lol.

flwpwr

@comcast.net

said by trythisfirst :

Im my market it was killed after a year. In the entire year 3 units were sold. All the outcry about purchasing modems, then no one purchased modems lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure it died rather quickly as there were not enough sales to justify stock space.

aabaaf1

@comcast.net

It died, because despite paying the $149 to buy it, you then HAD TO setup a PROFESSIONAL install for something most on these forums can do themselves. Screw on a few cables, and use their cell to call XFinity, to get the modem activated.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

yea cause its that easy to get phone switch routing changed, 911 data updated, hooking up alarms, backfeeding to other phone outlets, etc.....
--
I'm better than you!

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by gar187er:

yea cause its that easy to get phone switch routing changed, 911 data updated, hooking up alarms, backfeeding to other phone outlets, etc.....

It is interesting that I never had any problems doing self installs for other mainstream VoIP providers such as CallVantage and Vonage (and I personally know of many non-techs who also had no problems doing so).

The phone switch routing is changed by the number port process, and I can't imagine what part an on-site vendor installer would have to play in that.

The 911 update is done from information provided by the end user, and I also don't see what part an on-site vendor installer would play there either.

Connecting to existing in-house telco wiring is the only thing I can think of that an on-site vendor installer might need to get involved in for a typical residential VoIP installation (but as I have said, other VoIP providers have successful self installs by simply publishing simple illustrated guides to walk a customer through doing the simple steps needed to integrate a VoIP adapter's FXS interface with existing telco wiring).

Having said that, I have certainly setup many enterprise level VoIP systems, but those jobs involved major IT infrastructure changes and installing and setting up multiple (sometimes hundreds) of IP phones. That kind of job is several orders of magnitude greater than activating a single residential telephone line.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to trythisfirst

said by trythisfirst :

Right.. it doesn't make economic sense. If you could buy your own modem, which you couldn't -- only the comast approved and branded device -- maybe it would as the price would be lower.

But $149 + tax takes you almost 2 years to break even. What are the chances you still use Comcast in 2 years? And if so, then what are the chances in those 2 years you have some sort of issue and Comcast blames it on the modem?
--
PRescott7-2097