how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

richkut

join:2012-02-10
Cleveland, OH

Service call perhaps?

I observed on my Ultra router web page in the phone area and in the Administrative area that my backup battery is missing. Well, the backup battery IS installed, my friends, and I even removed it and reinstalled it SEVERAL times to make sure that it is making good contact. Since the 4 pins on the battery are recessed, I can't even check them with a voltmeter to see if it even has any charged left, which I assume is the problem (but maybe not?). If I ever lose my electricity, so too will I lose my phone!! Anyway, I went into my WOW online account, where there is an area to order batteries, and you guessed it--I receive an error (in red) telling me to call the toll-free number, and after 5 minutes on hold I figured that I would be holding another 30-40 minutes minimum, so I hung up! Not ever needing a service call, I realized that I do not have a phone number (other than the toll-free line) for scheduling service (again, if I even need it) in the Cleveland area, so I dug up the Supervisory Tech's business card (the lead Tech who installed my Ultra) and called the local WOW branch number in Berea. I heard a voice mail response from another Tech (of another gender), whom I left voice mail to request that she send me a new battery, but I am not sure if I even will get a response. Is this something where WOW Dan would be willing to intervene (e.g., have a battery shipped to me as an attempt to rectify this problem)? In any event, I also need a Tech Support phone number (local?). HELP!!! Thanks in advance to WOW Dan and/or any fellow subscriber for their input!!
--
Rich K
South Euclid, OH

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
I don't have another phone number other than the main customer service like at 866-496-9669. If you can send me your phone number and address in a private message, I can try and hit up someone in the Cleveland area to try and get this taken care of, but I'm not sure how quickly I will be able to do so. If you can get through to customer service, that would most likely be a quicker approach.

richkut

Cleveland, OH
While I PM'd you back to ask you to follow-up on the battery, lo and behold one of your local Cleveland area Tech Supervisors (Loretta, the person whose voice mail I left a message on last evening) called about 20 minutes ago to say that she would try to get a Tech who was in the area over to R&R the gateway phone backup battery. He just left about 10 minutes ago. All now is well. It is a shame that WOW is getting all of the bad raps due to the toll-free phone number and billing switch-over fiasco, but here is a case where (at least in the Cleveland area) customer service and support still is strong (in my honest opinion). I can only hope that this level of service will continue and spread throughout all of your service areas. Let this be a benchmark company-wide. I also thank you again on behalf of myself and my fellow subscribers for helping to fill the gaps that often can be handled more efficiently through this Forum (since we don't have any hold time). Kudos to you and the Cleveland area staff!!
--
Rich K
South Euclid, OH

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
Good that your situation was resolved, but you shouldn't need to get a local supervisor to step in for something as routine as that. You should have called the regulars number, got a human within 10 minutes, and be off the phone with a service appointment in 5 minutes. That's how it used to be, this system "upgrade" is a downgrade in every way as far as consumers are concerned.

Also think about a typical non tech person. They don't even know about local offices or numbers, they just grab their bill and call the number on it.

richkut

Cleveland, OH
said by hudiat:

Good that your situation was resolved, but you shouldn't need to get a local supervisor to step in for something as routine as that. You should have called the regulars number, got a human within 10 minutes, and be off the phone with a service appointment in 5 minutes. That's how it used to be, this system "upgrade" is a downgrade in every way as far as consumers are concerned.

Also think about a typical non tech person. They don't even know about local offices or numbers, they just grab their bill and call the number on it.

richkut

Cleveland, OH
reply to hudiat
1) I did not have time to waste on the toll-free phone line, which I was told is the only way to schedule service.
2) The install tech for my Ultra happened to be a supervisory tech and he left me his business card on which one of the office numbers is printed.
3) The voicemail/eventual call back was from a woman; she did not know the supervisory tech whose office direct line now is assigned to her.
4) Do YOU have a local Cleveland phone number to call for service, Hudiat?
5) I DO share in the frustration that the new billing upgrade is giving everyone; in fact, the tech who delivered the battery even told me that customers are taking their anger out on him, who had ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BILLING UPGRADE!!
6) I agree, too, that the average, non-technical customer feels the pinch much more than we do here.
7) I can only hope that they resolve this thing soon, as this company WAS on top of it prior to the billing upgrade. It is like a house of cards that took the wrong end of a windstorm or the proverbial domino that tipped and the whole stack fell one-by-one.
8) As with our healthcare, we too must be in charge of our WOW service needs and be proactive whenever necessary. I believe that this is why I succeeded so well in obtaining this battery in 1 day. I treated everyone in the chain with respect and thanked them a number of times. In fact, I even aclled back the female supervisor to personally thank her for the prompt service. You get more flies with honey...

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
I'm not sure how to take your post. I was just saying you had good service and now stand out as an isolated case, as opposed to 6 months ago where the service you just relieved would have been considered the norm.

Your post however seems to change tones all over the place. Sometimes you seem like you agree, but other times you seem defensive like I personally attacked you or something saying things like "Do YOU" seem to have that tone. Then other times you seem like you too think things need to change, then say something that makes you sound condescending like being in charge of our service and be proactive.

Other than just not understanding what overall tone you are trying to convey my issue is with your last statement.

No, we shouldn't have to go out of our way to take charge. We pay for a service, and when something goes wrong we should be able to call the designated number provided by wow that they tell us to call and get support. The fact that as a customer

1. We have to know a local office exists (I'm guessing the overwhelming majority of people don't)
2. Find the number
3. Call and hope someone can help (I'm sure they can most of the time)

Wow doesn't put local numbers on the bill. They want you to call the standard number and a customer should have the expectation of it working without having to do anything else.

richkut

Cleveland, OH
I agree that they should be more easily reachable. All that I am trying to convey is that in this day and age (right or wrong), we appear to be forced at every turn to take hold of our own destiny(s) rather than being able to rely on those with whom we have placed our trust. Yes, companies SHOULD cater to their customers (remember the good old days where the customer was always right?), but it just isn't that way any more. I have increasingly found that many more companies these days (ESPECIALLY independent contractors such as home repair and snow plowers) are quick to make the sale, but rarely call you back when you have a problem. This is a fact of life in today's world, one that I also despise but nevertheless attempt to circumvent by being proactive. So you see, we ARE on the same page after all, just on different lines. I would love for customer service to be job 1 (as it was years ago), and hope that WOW will be able to iron out the kinks soon. My big question to them, though, is how does upgrading a computerized billing system cause their phone lines to be jammed?
--
Rich K
South Euclid, OH