reply to camper
Best comment ever.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

2 recommendations

reply to camper
Okay, this farce was '640k ought to be enough for anybody'. And Bill Gates didn't say it.

Supposedly, this was at a show in 1981 where the initial intel 8088 (8/16 bit) machine was announced. The ram limit was set for 640k, although the earlier limit for 8 bit machines was 64k.

Nobody has ever found proof that Bill Gates said it, and he himself always denied it.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to camper
said by camper:

"640K of memory is all that anybody with a computer would ever need."
                                  --- Bill Gates

It's a fun quote, just a shame he never said that.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
If he actually said it Microsoft would've never advanced beyond Dos... The fact that he was the main guy should tell you he never said it.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to Metatron2008
I think that it's funny how this always comes about - person quotes this possible quote, someone else comes along and corrects, conversation continues.

I think it needs a term, kind of like "Godwin's Law" - should be the "Gates' Law"

Probably happens every few years, "nobody will need more than 'x' RAM" - "x" being equal to the max amount commonly able to be used on majority of PC's of the time, currently in the range of 16-32GB I'd say. Server side, let's go with 2TB. After all, nobody would need more than that, now would they?

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to camper
There has never been any evidence that Bill Gates really said that.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

said by camper:

--- Bill Gates

It's a fun quote, just a shame he never said that.

I sit corrected. Here is a nice discussion of the quote:
»quoteinvestigator.com/2011/09/08···-enough/

But, nonetheless, I feel the sentiment of the quote, regardless who said it, if indeed it was ever stated, holds true for this thread.

battleop

reply to camper
So 1Gb to the home today is like 1Gb of memory back when 640k was considered a lot of RAM.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to camper
said by camper:

--- Bill Gates

Except Gates never said it:
»www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1997/01/1484
»abcnews.go.com/Technology/PCWorl···=5214635
»www.computerworld.com/s/article/···_say_it_
»en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Gates···tributed
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to battleop
said by battleop:

So 1Gb to the home today is like 1Gb of memory back when 640k was considered a lot of RAM.

Networking speeds tend to jump on 10x increments. 10mbs ethernet became 100mbs, which became 1gbps, and now 10gbps is the "high speed".

google's 1gbps to the home is just the next logical speed jump. Sure, the rest of the internet has not caught up yet, but it is a chicken and egg thing.

Perhaps Netflix will provide higher quality streaming because it can now provide a higher bitrate to those customers who can handle it? maybe the whole movie could be downloaded quickly to a local device and viewed from that device so that you can actually see the movie when you fast forward?

Perhaps there will be whole new applications that we don't know of yet?

I look at google's fiber project as an in the field research project. In the back of my mind I wonder what service google will be providing in the future that takes advantage of that 1gbps of bandwidth....

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
Just in case the previous 1/2 dozen posts didn't make it clear...

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by skeechan:

Just in case the previous 1/2 dozen posts didn't make it clear...

I started the post BEFORE all those post were done. And it took awhile to get there with the links before i hit the "Post Now" button. But you don't really care. All you are doing is trolling.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

TKJunkMail
Premium
join:2005-12-09

2 recommendations

You calling someone else a troll is priceless.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to camper
The comment was short sighted and had no concept & belief in moores law at the time (as it applies to technology). In today's society, innovation is not as valued a commodity as it once was. Commoditization and moore law meet corporate greed-- and then stagnation sets in. From a PC processor to cult gorilla marketing of "I" products, to ancient copper dsl, we've seen almost 2 decades of stagnation technology, malfeasance and greed set the agenda.. along with plenty of apathy by consumers.

These last several generations who have grown up don't understand what's possible to take the next bleeding edge leaps in technology.. and the economy wont' be pleasant an environment for those who dare try. Monopolies and corrupt laws will block you at every turn. Apple suing Samsung is a modern example.

Gigabits are the future.. and all isps have plenty of deployment milestones to pass to get there... decades later, when they actually do.. those higher speed standards will be ready. Noone need worry that 10gigabit ethenet will be $500 per card...

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to camper
I think you're thinking of Ethernet standards - not consumer broadband options.

Broadband speeds are not jumping up in 10x increments - that'd be awesome, but it's not. I currently have a 30/2 connection - I don't see it jumping to 300/20 any time soon

However, connections that are not last-mile or long-distance (for our sake, let's say copper) are usually 100/1000, while fiber is used for 1gbps/10gbps

battleop

1 recommendation

reply to camper
The only problem I see right now is the "Gotta have it right now this very second no matter what it costs someone else" mentality. We are going to certainly need these speeds in the future but the build it and they will come mentality is the setup for another dotbomb type failure.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to LightS
said by LightS:

I think you're thinking of Ethernet standards - not consumer broadband options.

The thing is, there is really no technical reason for this to be the case. Google is showing just that with their fine example.

And since we're talking powers of 10, this is a great example from 1977, just so people who for some reason defend things like caps see why it's so stupid to do so for technologies that advance exponentially like Ethernet does:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to aciddrink
said by aciddrink:

Best comment ever.

Except Gates never said any such thing.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to battleop
There's evidence that he did say something like that, although probably not paraphrased. For sure he said in 1989:

"I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt like something that would last a great deal of time."

It's not unbelievable to think that in the early 80's a remark about 640k being all people should need is reasonable.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

battleop

I think there was some sort of reference being made in that design of IBM machines in that time period could not get past 640k.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to camper
Beware. All the trolls will think they have to be the first one to say the quote is wrong.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to Metatron2008
You don't know if he said it or not. James E. Fawcette, in 1985, claims he said something similar to that, presumably around 1980. Bill Gates didn't deny it until around 1996 when the quote would have made him look dumb. So at this point in time we can only say he might have said that but that he denies it.

Incidentally, Neil Armstrong also denies the official version of his first words on the moon because they made him look dumb.