Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

Newzbin2 Closed Up

What are the best alternatives?

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
There are plenty. nzbmatrix is one of my favorites.

My problem with newzbin2 is well they claimed to have hacked and stolen the code from the devs of newzbin. It was impossible for me to trust them..

noclip

join:2004-04-20
Fairfax, VA
reply to gjrhine
+1 on nzbmatrix. I use binsearch (free) for raw searches. I never believed that Newzbin's entire site was actually hacked; I figured that was just a way to avoid allegations of complicity by copyright holders (didn't they also get the domain name in the beginning??).

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to gjrhine
I left newsbin2 shortly after the whole hacking fiasco. Instead I use NZBMatrix because I like the comment section and just recently was invited and paid for VIP at DOGnzb. I really like the layout of DOGnzb but sadly it is by invitation only.
--
Orange moved up to #6 and trounced Princeton. The football Orange cruised to a win over a feisty Temple and ended the season 7-5 winning our last 5 of 6. Let's go bowling!

ctrip
Islam is a Religion of Peace
Premium
join:2002-07-16
New Cumberland, PA

1 recommendation

reply to gjrhine
I had been a paid subscriber to Newzbin and more recently Newzbin2 for many years and loved it. It's no exaggeration to say that it was my most useful website, bar none. So I was very upset when I saw that Newzbin2 had closed up shop.

I just signed up for the paid VIP subscription to nzbmatrix and I must say that while it seems okay, it doesn't hold a candle to how good Newzbin2 was. At least that's my opinion so far. Hopefully it will grow on me over time.
--
Now get this
London calling, yeah, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true! - clash 1979

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think it will. One hurdle you have to get over with Matrix is it's nowhere near as glossy and finished as Newzbin but I think you'll find there are a lot of options that come with a VIP account and, like I said above, there are lots of comments. Just give it a little time.
--
Orange moved up to #6 and trounced Princeton. The football Orange cruised to a win over a feisty Temple and ended the season 7-5 winning our last 5 of 6. Let's go bowling!

scrff

join:2012-11-28
reply to gjrhine
i have a feeling this thread is going to see more activity as people look at all of the alternative indexers available.

in that regard, do members of dognzb get to invite people? is there anyone with an available invite to give to someone willing to pay the $10 fee? or, are invites from admins only because i'd really like to check out the service.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to kingdome74
I've been a VIP holder at Matrix since Newzbin got closed the first time. I still don't like it nearly as much. I found the ability to have a single clean and uniform site of both indexed and raw feeds very handy.
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

HWBB

reply to gjrhine
I am another one who is looking for alternatives....

NZBMatrix I've used once before and I think I'll go back to that, maybe look at the VIP offering...

Any other decent sites? DogNzb sounds interesting, hopefully I can get an invite someday.

Inflex

join:2002-09-05
reply to gjrhine
Blah, none of the other sites are as good. Oh well.

VokinLoksar

join:2007-07-17
reply to gjrhine
Too bad. I used Newzbin2 as well as NZBMatrix. The former was much better in many respects, especially for raw search and email notifications.

Anyone have DogNZB invites available?

Alt2992

Arrrrrg. It's a sad day. Newzbin shall be missed.

St0ry

join:2004-02-16
USA
reply to gjrhine
Sad to see them go. Loved how clean their interface was and their raw search tended to be faster than binsearch.

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to gjrhine
Be careful when posting in the comments at nzbmatrix. There was a big dust up lately because people were posting which files were getting dmca'd and what news servers still had them up. Here is the relevant topic for any new users so you don't get banned:

»nzbmatrix.com/forums.php?action= ··· id=57217

Also there has been talk in the forums that the admins might just close down the comments altogether if people don't knock it off.

nfx
The Wire
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC
kudos:1
Can't talk about an incomplete post? Seriously? There are legitimate reasons why it would be helpful to let others know what is and isn't available. Don't risk wasting bandwidth from a metered account on a post that's incomplete.

I realize NZBMatrix is trying to cover their asses, but come on, some of that is just plain stupid.

No swearing is one of their rules. What a joke. Is there a provider left out there that's left their balls untucked from between their legs?
--
nfx

browngeek

join:2010-01-14
hong kong
reply to gjrhine
Hmm, how does one get a DOGnzb invite?

nfx
The Wire
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC
kudos:1
Not by going off-topic in this thread, I would wager.
--
nfx

browngeek

join:2010-01-14
hong kong
OK, point taken.

OK, I will start of by saying, I used to use Newbin2, and it was great for linking up with Sabnzbd for auto download.

I also use NZBmatrix VIP and do find the comments section very useful. You can also do autodownload with NZBMatrix VIP, but I find it doesn't work so nicely with Sabnzbd compared to Newzbin2.

However in all reality as I download shows and movies using Sickbeard / Couch potato, I don't think it really matters to much.

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to gjrhine
raw search will be missed.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to gjrhine
This is definitely a shitty day. I've been using Newzbin for years. Nothing comes even remotely close. At least not from the non-invite only places.

If anyone is able to point me to something comparable (I already have nzb.su, nzbmatrix and nzbclub accounts. After Newzbin started to go downhill, I started looking for backups). Feel free to PM me if you have an invite you'd like to share or don't want to post the URL publicly.

Would definitely be appreciated!
--
Weeeeeee

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to gjrhine
I think what I miss most is it told me all new posts since last log on in each category. I could just browse until the end of the highlighting.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to gjrhine
It has begun!

Newsgroup header searching back in action.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to gjrhine
I used Newzbin1 for years topping up at their half price Christmas deal. I never reupped with Newzbin2, but it was handy for finding things that didn't have the same title.

Oh well, another one bites the dust.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit
reply to 90115534
said by 90115534:

It has begun!

Newsgroup header searching back in action.

You may not be far from the truth. As I was looking around at things, I happened to be poking around in the forums at Matrix. I noticed someone there had mentioned that Hunger Games is not allowed to be indexed at the Matrix.

I used that movie then to see how other sites do with it. Surprisingly, binsearch was terrible. I had better luck with a couple of others, such as nzb.su and nzbs.org.

For $10/10 years or whatever timeframe, the Matrix is fine. But the other two are far better.
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

Brywalker

@wayport.net
reply to gjrhine
Beyond broken hearted here. Been using newzbin forever and a day and I just don't feel that matrix is up to snuff. Not to mention sickbeard and newzbin were made for each other.

Bookmarks worked flawlessly to.

It's a very sad day here. Hoping something decent pops up or matrix gets a little better.

posthaste

join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL
reply to gjrhine
I used Newzbin, and then the resurrected Newzbin2, for years. In all that time, I had created dozens of Saved Searches that would automatically send e-mails for everything I was interested in.

Poof! Gone now.

I'll never be able to recreate that functionality at any other NZB site. Sad day.

Nzbmatrix is OK, but I'm looking to check out DOGnzb if anyone can PM me with an invite.
--

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to gjrhine
It will definitely be sorely missed; there is, IMO, no 100% replacement for Newzbin2. Raw and conditioned search operating alongside user submitted NZBs, watchdog, and the ever-useful post comments (which dropped greatly in volume after the Newzbin1 closing), so many excellent features.
--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to gjrhine
I barely used newzbin2. I liked NZBMatrix better. For raw searches there's a free website out there that does a great job.

newzbin2 wasn't really worth the price anymore, when you've got others than only charge 10 bones/lifetime and a pretty good free raw search out there.

posthaste

join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL
reply to gjrhine
I was complacent and relied too heavily on Newzbin2. Now, when looking for alternatives, I'm stung by running into all these private invite-only NZB sites.

Perhaps NZBs(dot)ORG and dognzb are good, but I can't get in.

Damn.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to zod5000
said by zod5000:

I barely used newzbin2. I liked NZBMatrix better. For raw searches there's a free website out there that does a great job.

newzbin2 wasn't really worth the price anymore, when you've got others than only charge 10 bones/lifetime and a pretty good free raw search out there.

What's the pretty good raw search? I used to think Binsearch was good, but it really isn't.

As for Matrix, you get what you pay for. A DMCA'd to death semi-POS.
--