spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevenm

@optonline.net

[Optimum Voice] Optimum Voice Caller ID and Verizon Wireless

I recently signed on with verizon wireless. I have Optimum voice as my home phone service. I set up my caller ID service with verizon wireless so that it would display my caller ID as "FIRST,LAST name" when I call any land line phone. And it's working with every landline phone service besides optimum. When I call any Optimum landline, it displays my caller ID as "verizon wireless". I called cablevision and they said there's no way to update their caller ID system for a cell phone. I think this is bull, but I could be wrong. Does anyone have an idea or solution for this issue?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
How along ago did you make the change? Maybe give it a little more time.

There are several databases that a telephone service provider like OV can use to match caller ID telephone numbers to names.

Some are a little faster than other in updating their databases, and some telephone service providers may not necessarily make real time queries, but instead "cache" data which could delay the update further.

A support rep would not know the details on how OV handles the caller ID name/number matching process.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to stevenm
I don't get names for VW calls to my OV, just "cell phone" or 'Verizon Wireless" and the number. I do get a name on calls from other cell providers like sprint.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to stevenm
Any call I place with my Verizon Wireless cell phone shows as "NEW JERSEY". I thought that VZW protected their customers' privacy by not releasing their names to the caller ID databases.

Is there some new option to permit your name to be shown? (If so, I don't want to use it. I like my privacy!)

Anyway, Cablevision is notoriously slow at updating their caller ID database. Give it a couple months.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to RemyM
said by RemyM:

I don't get names for VW calls to my OV, just "cell phone" or 'Verizon Wireless" and the number. I do get a name on calls from other cell providers like sprint.

Right. By default, VZW does not provide subscriber name info to the databases. You can go into your account settings on the VZW website (or call customer service) and manually select the feature that will provide that information so people you call can see your name.

stevenm

@optonline.net
reply to Bob4
log into your verizon wireless account online, go to "I WANT TO", click "MORE ACTIONS...", and click "SHARE NAME ID".

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by stevenm :

log into your verizon wireless account online, go to "I WANT TO", click "MORE ACTIONS...", and click "SHARE NAME ID".

Does not work for OV... I have an ongoing thread in the direct forum on this exact issue. My Callcentric SIP picks it up, but for whatever reason OV will not and always displays VERIZON WIRELESS.

stevenm

@optonline.net
reply to stevenm
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ
reply to stevenm
Just completed the process. After you click on More Actions look for Share Name ID under Device. You can select the account owner's name or enter a completely different name. It takes 24 hours to start.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
So I can use this to spoof the name on the Caller ID? I can say my name is Charles Dolan?

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
It did appear as if you can select any name. Not sure if anyone will check during the 24 hour waiting period. I was tempted to put something like "Answer Now". The possibilities are endless for comedians!

RickNY
Premium
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to rick0204
said by rick0204:

It takes 24 hours to start.

And you will see, on OV phones - it will never start. Yes, you can set your share name on Verizon's site -- but it will not update with OV's database provider. It will continue to say "Verizon Wireless"

On 10/21:

said by ooltech:

RickNY,

Thank you for your continued patience with this. We are looking into what else can be done to get this resolved. We will update this post again once new information is available.

//OOLTECH

On 11/9:

said by ooltech:

We apologize this is taking so long. We should have an update/resolution within the next few days.

That was the last update. I've asked again, but have yet to receive another response back. They have also called me a few times to have me test it out by calling them from my cell. They said their DB provider is assuring them the change was made -- but its definitely not making it out.

Rick

stevenm

@optonline.net
Rick, keep me posted if they answer you with a solution.

rocafellanrd

join:2009-05-04
kudos:1
reply to rick0204
said by rick0204:

Just completed the process. After you click on More Actions look for Share Name ID under Device. You can select the account owner's name or enter a completely different name. It takes 24 hours to start.

I can confirm it will display VZ Wireless or XYZ Wireless. It doesn't seem to be shared.

said by Bob4:

So I can use this to spoof the name on the Caller ID? I can say my name is Charles Dolan?

That most likely is the reason why. Why even bother dealing with more than your fair share of spoofing problems. Cut your losses and move forward.

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
reply to stevenm
24 hours later and when I call my work phone the name line has changed to the name I requested ( not the account owner's name). I called my CV home phone and the name line still says - Verizon Wireless.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
If OV is showing the name as "Verizon Wireless", they're not even looking the number up in a Caller ID database. The default string that comes from the database is "NEW JERSEY". So CV is displaying "Verizon Wireless" on their own.

I wonder if every Caller ID lookup costs them money, and this is CV's way to save a few pennies.

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
You might be correct. In the past when I called my work phone the name line would read - New York. When I called to my CV home number the name line would read - Verizon Wireless.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to stevenm
In most cases, the name changes take place quickly. This problem seems to be confined to mobile telephone numbers (Verizon in particular). Maybe the database that CV uses does not pull down the information for Verizon Wireless. I don't see any logical reason for CV to consciously decide to ignore information for Verizon Wireless if it is present in their database.

EO50

join:2005-01-23
united state
reply to stevenm
I've had this issue for at least 7 years. I don't get anyone's information is they calling from Verizon Wireless. Tried updating it on their website and it never shows up on Optimum Voice.

RickNY
Premium
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

The default string that comes from the database is "NEW JERSEY".

Please elaborate -- what is "the" database? There are multiple CID name database services available. Which is why some providers will show the name, some providers will show "NEW YORK" (because those providers can't find a corresponding number in the database they use - so they just classify it by area code), and some providers will use the same database that Verizon uses.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
My understanding is that Verizon Wireless by default puts the state name into the data released to the Caller ID database companies.

Maybe I'm wrong and Verizon Wireless doesn't release any data at all by default.

In any event, it appears that OV isn't even performing the lookup, or the database they use doesn't have any Verizon Wireless information at all.

But I'm glad my name doesn't show up when I make calls on my cell phone.

On a related note, we had someone working for us who got convicted of a Federal crime. They way he got caught is that he used an AT&T (I think) cell phone, and the person he called got suspicious when the name on the Caller ID didn't match the alias he gave them. Oops! He lucked out and only got 6 months of home confinement. But he might have gotten away with it if he used Verizon Wireless.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

Verizon Wireless, by default, puts nothing in the caller ID databases.
Caller ID databases either put "Verizon Wireless" in by default if a number is assigned to VZW, or in some cases, the city/state based on the area code and exchange.

As a Verizon Wireless subscriber, you can elect to populate the name field. That information is picked up by some databases, but not others. Obviously Cablevision subscribes to a database that does not provide this information.

RickNY
Premium
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by limegrass69:

Verizon Wireless, by default, puts nothing in the caller ID databases.

According to VZW, they actually default to "WIRELESS CALLER" in whatever database they are publishing to.

I prefer my name to show up, as I use my house phone and cell phone for business purposes, and many people are reluctant to answer a call where no name shows up. I will often use my cell phone to call the people I do work for when I am on the way to their home or place of business. I don't actively give my cell number out to the people I do work for, but I don't hide it from them either.

3. Do I have to select a name for my Share Name ID?

No, by default “Wireless Caller” is displayed instead of your name when you call a device enabled with Caller ID. If you do not make any changes, “Wireless Caller” will continue to be used.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

I see "Verizon Wireles" (no second "s" on wireless) on most calls from them.

RickNY
Premium
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by limegrass69:

I see "Verizon Wireles" (no second "s" on wireless) on most calls from them.

That is what I see on OV. On a Verizon POTS line I see "Wireless Caller" or the Share Name if set (including my own). On my CallCentric SIP line, I see "NY Wireless Call", OR the Verizon Share Name ID if the caller set it (including my own name)

My parents down in Tampa see my share name ID on Brighthouse. Not sure what they see from someone that hasn't set it.

My cell phone number has been on Sprint, then AT&T, and then Verizon. While on Sprint & AT&T, my OV line displayed the name. As soon as I ported from AT&T to Verizon, it started saying "Verizon Wireles", even though I set the share name.