ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to DocDrew

to DocDrew

Re: [ALL] workaround for over limit of cap line issues

said by DocDrew:

said by ikyuaoki:

With TCP disabled nagle, i gets lower latency where i am gaming, however that disabled TCP nagle does not produced any inefficient issues for me. silly window problem is not happening anymore where i did tested with disabled TCP window settings that i was getting around 20Mbits downstream that does not affected me at all.

BTW, what do you mean exactly by "disabled TCP window settings"? TCP window settings are a set size or set to auto/OS controlled. A setting of "disabled" doesn't make sense. What does a current "tweak" test show? Can you post a screenshot?

that TCP window settings is autotuninglevel set that found in the netsh command sets in windows vista, 7 and 8

that netsh context tcp settings lists below here.

autotuninglevel - One of the following values:
disabled: Fix the receive window at its default
value.
highlyrestricted: Allow the receive window to
grow beyond its default value, but do so
very conservatively.
restricted: Allow the receive window to grow
beyond its default value, but limit such
growth in some scenarios.
normal: Allow the receive window to grow to
accomodate almost all scenarios.
experimental: Allow the receive window to grow
to accomodate extreme scenarios.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

So what is the fixed TCP receive window size you are running at?

Seems your download speed dropped 8 Mbps when you turned off autotuning TCP window settings.

That still doesn't answer the question amount of bandwidth used. The whole premise of this thread was that you said changing these settings LOWERED a persons bandwidth usage.

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

yes what i said that changing to a slower speeds custom settings from the windows default settings would lower the bandwidth rate and that may be able to reduces the meter count on clocks.

the two words are different that is not same things.

1. bandwidth is how much measures in Mbits datarate what you are gets.

2. meter count on clocks is how much you used in data consumed each month.
ikyuaoki

ikyuaoki to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

So what is the fixed TCP receive window size you are running at?

That i am running mostly normal TCP window settings where that default normal set is up to 16MB window buffers.

EDIT: additional, I was in the WOW game online that i gets latency is around 60ms where the nagle is disabled (i set the nagle to be disabled peramently)

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to ikyuaoki

Premium Member

to ikyuaoki
Reducing a users speed doesn't mean they will reduce their data usage.

Example 1: Someone who watches Netflix 4 hours a day will transfer the same amount of data at 36 Mbps as they would at 28 Mpbs, if overhead is the same. Netflix streaming bandwidth doesn't use data as fast as either connection is capable of, so the user wouldn't see any difference.

Example 2: A user downloading 50 movies at 1.5 GB each will still transfer at least 75 GB of data at 36 Mbps as they will at 28 Mbps, if overhead is the same, but it will just take longer at the slower rate.

Your suggestions make the connection less efficient, it doesn't reduce the amount of data the user transfers.

I can see how disabling the Nagle Algorithm setting can change the average latency for small packet based connections (less waiting to fill bigger packets), but it doesn't reduce data transferred. With more packets and packet headers, it would actually increase total data transfered.

To really reduce the amount of data transferred, users have to change what they're downloading and uploading. Playing tricks with protocol options leads to minor changes in data transferred, usually leading to increases due to more overhead.

azchrisf8657
@cox.net

azchrisf8657

Anon

said by DocDrew:

Reducing a users speed doesn't mean they will reduce their data usage.

Example 1: Someone who watches Netflix 4 hours a day will transfer the same amount of data at 36 Mbps as they would at 28 Mpbs, if overhead is the same. Netflix streaming bandwidth doesn't use data as fast as either connection is capable of, so the user wouldn't see any difference.

Example 2: A user downloading 50 movies at 1.5 GB each will still transfer at least 75 GB of data at 36 Mbps as they will at 28 Mbps, if overhead is the same, but it will just take longer at the slower rate.

Your suggestions make the connection less efficient, it doesn't reduce the amount of data the user transfers.

I can see how disabling the Nagle Algorithm setting can change the average latency for small packet based connections (less waiting to fill bigger packets), but it doesn't reduce data transferred. With more packets and packet headers, it would actually increase total data transfered.

To really reduce the amount of data transferred, users have to change what they're downloading and uploading. Playing tricks with protocol options leads to minor changes in data transferred, usually leading to increases due to more overhead.

Exactly.