spc
uniqs
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to PogiJones

to PogiJones

"cutting the cord" on a postpaid wireless carrier

First off, I would highly advise against an individual mobile hotspot device and a long-term hotspot contract (especially with Sprint and their "4G" network with 3G speeds). Mobile hotspots are just way too expensive, and offer very limited functionality and a very poor battery life.

On the other hand, a Google Nexus 4 phone (requires no contract, goes for 299$ for 8GB, and 349$ for 16GB (more storage for pictures)), and a T-Mobile.com online exclusive 30$/month Monthly4G plan with 5GB of data at 4G speeds, together with the free wifi hotspot (thanks to the unlocked Google Nexus) would be a much better choice to implement your (awesome, might I add!) plan of cutting the cord on your postpaid wireless carrier.

Look at it this way: the price is basically the same as a hotspot service (it's actually cheaper per month; after only a modest initial investment on the unlocked phone), yet you get more data, better coverage (last I checked with their maps and reps, prepaid Sprint and AT&T had no data coverage whatsoever on I-80 in Nevada, i.e. between SLC and Sacramento), plus you even get an extra 100 minutes of extra talk time in case you're travelling and there's no (or limited) data coverage, plus a free (and unmetered!) 911 calling.

An extra benefit of Monthly4G is that you don't actually have to refill it every month right on time (they simply disable your access when you run out, but they still keep your account subscribed to the 5GB@4G@30$ plan for a couple of more months, waiting for your 30$ refill), so, if you're really trying to save, you might even skip a couple of days or weeks from having to activate another 30$ refill card.

And T-Mobile does actually seem to have their own 2G data coverage on I-80 in Nevada. »prepaid-phones.t-mobile. ··· coverage Sprint only has roaming on I-80 in Nevada, so, they're definitely aren't going to give you your 3GB of data over there, that's pretty much guaranteed!

I would strongly advise you to go with the 5GB@4G@30$ T-Mo plan and an unlocked Google Nexus 4 at 349$ (or even 299$), at 299 USD they're basically selling this phone with no profit margin. I got Google Nexus 3 16GB @ 349$ earlier this summer, and although it's clearly not as polished as an iPhone with random bugs here and there, I'm very happy with my deal and how convenient it is to have a fast mobile hotspot ready by your side. Did you know that these Nexus phones have a screen with a resolution higher than MacBooks and ThinkPads? :-) Well, almost — my 13" Aluminium MacBook is 1280x800, my 4.65" Google Nexus 3 is 1280x720. Nexus 4 is 1280x768 @ 4.7". The 349$/299$ price tag for that phone is an Everyday Steal™! By comparison, a 100+$ individual mobile hotspot device with no screen, no phone, no camera, no web-browser, no weather forecast, no SIP client, no Google Voice, no apps, yet same form factor, same battery life, plus more expensive and limited monthly service, plus possibly a long-term contract and activation, termination and overage fees, is not a good deal in my book.

Good luck!
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Another option for light users is Page Plus Cellular (MVNO on Verizon network) - $80 card gives you 2,000 minutes, doesn't expire for a year

I already said that, Joe.

But the only reason I'm writing now is to note that the 2,000 minute card to which you refer usually is not available directly from Page Plus, but it is from dealers such as Kitty Wireless and others.

That's a better value than T-Mobile's $100 for 1,000 minutes per year.

Do unused minutes roll over to the next year?
said by ConstantineM:

T-Mobile.com online exclusive 30$/month Monthly4G plan with 5GB of data at 4G speeds, together with the free wifi hotspot (thanks to the unlocked Google Nexus)

This plan also includes 100 minutes of talk time per month.

SIM and Micro SIM cards are available for $0.99 on T-Mobile's web site.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by SCADAGeo:

No, 365 days.

There's also a trivial service fee of 50 cents a month, so for the year it's actually $ 86 for the 2000 minutes.

PagePlus has lower value cards which are (such as $ 10 or $20) which cost more per minute, and which are good for 120 days.

They [do] also have data plans at pretty good rates. Again, it is advantageous to use a Page Plus dealer like Kitty, they often have options not offered by the company itself. And again, it's riding on the Verizon Wireless network.
»www.kittywireless.com/pa ··· ans.html
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear CM600

hardly

Premium Member

As an additional data point for PagePlus, I use a smartphone (Palm Pixi +) with data disabled on my account to eliminate data charges. I have all the goodies for free when Wi-Fi is available.
As an additional data point for no paid carrier, I use an Optimus T (I think an Optimus V or S would also work) without an account (911 still works). When Wi-Fi is available I have full internet connectivity along with Google Voice via GrooVe IP.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to SCADAGeo

Premium Member

to SCADAGeo
said by SCADAGeo:

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Another option for light users is Page Plus Cellular (MVNO on Verizon network) - $80 card gives you 2,000 minutes, doesn't expire for a year

I already said that, Joe.

But the only reason I'm writing now is to note that the 2,000 minute card to which you refer usually is not available directly from Page Plus, but it is from dealers such as Kitty Wireless and others.

Sorry, but PX E is incorrect - unused minutes on Page Plus roll over to the next year IF you refill before the year is up - I know this for a fact. This is a general rule for all Page Plus pay-per-minute refills - if you refill before expiration date your balance rolls over. They also have monthly plans and there is no rollover for monthly plans.

He was correct about $0.50/month fee to keep your account active.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Sorry, but PX E is incorrect - unused minutes on Page Plus roll over to the next year IF you refill before the year is up - I know this for a fact. This is a general rule for all Page Plus pay-per-minute refills....

You are correct. Sorry for the mistake.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
Thank you PX Eliezer, JoeSchmoe007, gbh2o, and hardly for the Page Plus information.