spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

outage2012

@embarqhsd.net

Major centurylink outage on Nov 28 2012: changes needed

There was a widespread outage affecting customers in at least seven states: North Carolina, Texas, Florida, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, and Pennsylvania. Another forum thread discussed the outage while it was in progress: »[Embarq] Mid-MO Outage?

After I waited on hold for 75 minutes, a CenturyLink support representative told me that a fiber optic cable had been cut, causing the outage.

As far as I know, CenturyLink did not post any information about the outage on their website, or their Twitter accounts (@centurylink and @centurylinkhelps).

In the future, widespread outages should be dealt with differently by the team at CenturyLink. Does CenturyLInk have a webpage where they post current system status?

Also, does anyone impacted by the outage plan to ask for a discount on their next billing statement?

jojosuburban

join:2003-04-18
Prairie City, IA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I live in central Iowa about 20 miles east of Des Moines. We had no outage here. My service has been solid as a rock during the past 24 hours.

I agree that it would be nice if service providers, be it phone, cable or internet, would post updates on there web sites or at least facebook or twitter them. But I used to be a Mediacom customer and they never did anything to notify there customer either.

AMW

@embarqhsd.net
reply to outage2012
What happen to telecommunication 99.9999% ("six nines") availability. Centurylink (Embarq) is the most troublesome company I ever work with. Constant outage and calls into the 877-290-5458 number either you was cut off or it was busy.

Crusty

join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
reply to outage2012
said by outage2012 :

Does CenturyLInk have a webpage where they post current system status?

Also, does anyone impacted by the outage plan to ask for a discount on their next billing statement?

No.

No. They typically won't give it for one, what they would refer to, "minor" event. Surprised they got it fixed as fast as they did. In my 8yr experience with them in Tx, it's usually at least a couple days before the net is brought back up.

Technicholas
Premium
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA
reply to jojosuburban
Centurylink has been having problems with the gateway that serves the major Des Moines area for the past week been extremely slow.... I have complained but have not got any result.

Crusty

join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
It's not just Des Moines area. I live in Tx and was affected majority of the evening last night.

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN
reply to outage2012
Add Indiana to that list. It's about the 3rd or 4th time in the last couple weeks.

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16
Indeed, it's been a problem in Indiana lately.

outage2012_

@embarqhsd.net
reply to outage2012
CenturyLink posted information about the Nov. 28 2012 outage on their main twitter account (@CenturyLink) at 9am on Nov. 29.

»twitter.com/CenturyLink/status/2···39379200

The information provided is inadequate, tardy, and unhelpful.

EmoHobo

So par for the course when it comes to Century Link.

Edit: From the sound of it, they bought dirt cheap equipment that didn't work well and we suffered for it.

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to outage2012_
Why is this info inadequate. Do you think it's within your right as a customer to know ALL the details? Tardy since they didnt post it at midnight? So you expect them to post a tweet at that time when most are sleeping? Unhelpful how? Im honestly shocked that they apologized Is your service still down? If it's back up then why are you complaining? Shit breaks, they had it up within hours of finding the problem. What more do you want? I'm guessing you were dissatisfied prior to this outage.

GetMoney

reply to EmoHobo
So Emohobo how do you know they bought cheap equipment? You never cease to surprise with the cheap shots. Maybe you can work for CTL to fix all the problems you say they have.

EmoHobo

Prior to the outages, I've had no problems with them after they fixed the poor wiring in my area and the cheap equipment comes from them being infamous for letting their backbone degrade to the point of having these issues. On top of overselling areas and have less then adequate upkeep in areas where they are oversold has lead to lots of unhappy customers.

I moved to them a year ago and signed up for an 8 Meg down and 1 meg up plan, a few months later they moved me down to a 1.5 meg down and .25 up network a little time after they fixed the wiring in my area and I was fine with that as they changed what I was paying to adjust for this even though I was in a contract.

So the whole thing about cheap equipment may not be 100% provable, but I had Comcast prior to them for nearly a decade with little to no issues, but then again different companies I'm sure have different policies and you can't prevent everything from breaking suddenly, however this has been an ongoing problem for about half a month. It seems like the issue finally came to a climax though last night and hopefully they have taken care of it once and for all.

GetMoney

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to outage2012
Another reply to the anonymous OP here. 2 answers you are seemingly seeking.

1. No news agency would have reported this since it was a complete data loss and not a loss of dial tone/911 service

2. CenturyLink nor many MAJOR ISPs have twitter accounts that announce outages. That way their competitiors can poach potential customers very easily.

And prepared to be shocked, but CTL does have an event reporting website here: www.centurylinkservices.net/events

Greta

@myvzw.com
reply to outage2012
My Internet with Century Link went out around 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 28. As of 11:13 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 29, it has not returned. I am in the PR business and am a news writer. I know that two media outlets checked into this story earlier today and did nothing on it because obviously Century Link didn't tell them the truth. I am mad as hell because Century Link should have been upfront with a recording on their tech line telling us the issue. At 10 p.m. on Nov. 28, I recordings during several calls telling me the wait to talk with someon exceeded 10 minutes. That was a flag on the play. Something was amiss. I poked around with the menu and finally got a recording telling me there had been an outage for my area code, 336, and that by 2 a.m. on Thursday it would be repaired. Wrong. At 3 a.m. on Thursday, I got the same response. Finally, around 5 a.m. on Thursday, I got a live person who told me there was a major outage which affected "at least all of North Carolina." She couldn't tell me much more than that. No reason why, how long - but that my bill would be adjusted. As of 9 a.m. this morning, I still had no Internet service and I got the same recordings. Fast forward to tonight at 11:15 p.m., and I am still without service and getting the same recordings. Folks, it's been 26 hours and all I want is a little honesty. I just want to know what happened. There's little I can do to fix it. I just want to know, that's all. - Asheboro, N.C.

sestrada

join:2012-11-05
>> all I want is a little honesty. I just want to know what happened. There's little I can do to fix it. I just want to know, that's all.

Usually when I call they blame it on my modem.

Signing up here is a lot better:

»www.centurylinkservices.net/Cent···uide.pdf

»www.centurylinkservices.net/events/eric.php

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to jojosuburban
When sandy went Thorough town I know cox posted outages on their Facebook page.

NW Missouri

@embarqhsd.net
reply to outage2012
I have a couple of salient points to make WRT the recent outage, and to CenturyLink in general.

Recent outage:

1. No fiber was cut. Too many states were affected for this to be the cause, and...

2. As with all telcos, CenturyLink ships both voice and data via ATM over the same fiber pairs. Voice was up, IP was down.

3. When my service went down I couldn't ping my gateway which is in a Sprint datacenter in Kansas City, MO. I'm ~120 miles up I-29 on the Iowa boarder.

Given these facts, the most likely cause of the problem was a change, either accidental or deliberate, via firmware update or human error, to the ATM configuration in the DSLAMs, upstream aggregation routers, or both. As my pings were not echo'd by the gateway router, they were either not traversing the DSLAM, or they were being dropped by the upstream router. Same for every other customer who was down.

Regardless of the exact technical cause, CenturyLink will not make the details public, nor does any carrier. For a whole host of reasons, it's not in the interest of the company, its share holders, nor frankly we customers, to make this information publicly available.

WRT general service:

People have commented about crappy or cheap equipment used by CenturyLink. This may be true WRT the original company, and may be the reason for the frequent outages reported by some here. This town of ~2000 people received its first broadband internet in the form of Sprint ADSL. Sprint is known for the opposite, spending "too much" on quality infrastructure gear. I'm sure most of the Sprint/Embarq gear is still in place (to replace it for the sake of having a homogenous network would cost many tens of millions, if not over 100 million).

My service has been generally good since the acquisition of Embarq, with one exceptoin: I had one maddening outage that lasted over 8 hours, with 4 hours on the phone getting it resolved. I've been a static IP customer since 2004 with Sprint, hosting my own mail/web/etc. I upraded to the 10Mb service and CL bricked my service with the upgrade. Why? They apparently had no field in their CRM database for static IP as apparently they never offered it.

So that info was lost when they imported the Embarq database. And instead of looking first at my current profile before making changes, they simply blew it away and created a new one from their template, inadvertantly switching me to dynamic IP. I was on the phone over 5 hours, spoke to at least a dozen people before I got ahold of an ex Sprint/Embarq tech in Atlanta who understood exactly what had been fubar'd and how to fix it. Took him 2 hours due to the CL red tape and total lack of understanding of what a "static IP" is.

Ceturytel was definitely a lower quality, no frills, carrier. When I first heard of the impending Embarq merger I couldn't understand how a low ball carrier could buy a better company that offered more features, options, reliability, etc. I came to the conclusion that CenturyTel was the Wal Mart of telecom. They ended up with a phat acquisition wallet precisely because they cut costs to the bone, by offering no frills service, and less reliable service apparently due to using lower end lower cost gear, no frills FOSS webmail, etc. I just hope that some of the ethos of their acquisitions rubs off on them.