Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cowboyro

Re: CT30 and 3M50 Remote Thermostats.

said by cowboyro:

said by dennismurphy:

Enjoying the remote access - lets me save a bunch of energy when I'm not home.

[Slightly O/T] Don't ALL programmable thermostats do exactly the same?

Not really. All /remotely programmable/ thermostats do the same.

For instance - when I'm away, I can set the house to, say, 60 degrees. But when I'm 45 minutes away from home, I can tell the heat to come on so the house is comfortable when I walk in the door.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to set the house to 60 when I leave - the Wife Adoption Factor wouldn't allow it.

That's value. So yeah, a programmable t-stat does some good. A remotely programmable one does better. And if I'm going to replace it with a wifi-enabled one anyway, I may as well get something that looks good, and my wife will understand easily.

Frankly, most t-stat interfaces are AWFUL. My previous Honeywell 5+2 programmable included. What I found is that - even though I had a program set, if we wanted to change the temp, we'd do so, press HOLD, and then forget to change it later. No longer an issue.

In the Grand Scheme of Things, I piss away a lot more than what the Nest cost on other silly crap. This one's useful and a conversation piece; I'd say I get more value from it than most of the useless junk I buy.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

said by dennismurphy See Profile
Frankly, most t-stat interfaces are AWFUL. My previous Honeywell 5+2 programmable included. What I found is that - even though I had a program set, if we wanted to change the temp, we'd do so, press HOLD, and then forget to change it later.

:

In most 5+2 thermostats, if you don't press hold, but press up or down, then the temperature setting that you put in reverts to the program temperature at the next programmed time.