Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

2 recommendations

reply to FF4m3

Re: Troll Sues Apple For Daring To Plug Headphones Into iPhone

Glad to hear that someone is finally hitting Apple with the same thing they have been doing to others!

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
said by Msradell:
Glad to hear that someone is finally hitting Apple with the same thing they have been doing to others!

Apple is without any doubt the absolute Patent Troll King.
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Meh... I don't believe that the key to defeating apple is to stoop to their level.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by burner50:

Meh... I don't believe that the key to defeating apple is to stoop to their level.

Maybe not, but perhaps the key to getting idiocy out of the patent system is to pile absurdity on top of absurdity, until even the patent office can see how much of the GNP is burned on this sort of crap.

(Naive, or what? )

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Only in the computer industry is it OK for you to spend money designing something new and different and then not be ableto protect it. No different than designing, say a new drug and being awarded a patent for it. Or figuring out a new way to use a drug and being awarded the patent for it.

I agree the patent office is messed up but there has to be a way to protect those that innovate and take chances.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Surface were to become successful (doubtful) and someone ripped them off and MS sued them, I'd say go ahead MS. So it's not just Apple love.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I don't think there are too many people here arguing against patentability of genuine innovations. Rather, it's the stupid-crap patents that are the problem. Where's the real innovation in 7373182, for example?

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
said by dave:

I don't think there are too many people here arguing against patentability of genuine innovations. Rather, it's the stupid-crap patents that are the problem. Where's the real innovation in 7373182, for example?

The innovation is to have both an output only AND an input-output jacks, operating independently. Neat idea. Patentable.

There are a couple of issues with the current patent system. One is the patenting of concepts or designs. The other is that patents should expire if they produce no commercial products within 3-5 years.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

1 recommendation

I say '2 jacks' is perfectly obvious to anyone practiced in the arts.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to AsherN
said by AsherN:

The innovation is to have both an output only AND an input-output jacks, operating independently. Neat idea. Patentable.

Why not patent two jacks, both providing input-output. You may use one for output only... Isn't that a neat idea? Is it patentable too? Then why not patent three jacks, all of them having input-output capabilities and, of course, user is allowed to use all of them at his will. And so forth... When have we started patenting the numbers? I guess it happened at the time, when US Patent Office has decided to make money from the number of patents it registers. The more patents are accepted, the more money they get... Yeah, that's the spirit of protecting innovators. Or may be not...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Only in the computer industry is it OK for you to spend money designing something new and different and then not be ableto protect it.

New and Different, is the problem as its usually nothing more then 'marginally improved (if that) old idea', and is that worthy of a patent? The other problem is patent aren't written up to protect an invention, they are written up to protect an idea which isn't what patents were for. Patents were designed to protect an expression of an idea, and not the idea itself as trying to claim a truly original idea is likely false as ideas aren't created in a vacuum and therefore not truly original.

When 'innovation' involves more money being spent on IP then the actual invention, one has to question the motives involved and the actual invention, hence the often well deserved title of patent troll as its rather clear that the intention was only to extort money from someone actually creating a product for public consumption (or as we have often seen to protect market share from companies who are doing about the same amount of 'innovation' as any other company in the field, for example could someone tell me the truly innovative differences between phones, for example size, shape, layout of icons, touch screens, etc aren't innovations of the last 10 years or even last 20 years so how do companies claim them as patentable today).

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

oletheos

join:2010-10-26
Springfield, MO
reply to Smokey Bear
how is apple a patent troll? trolls are people who get a patent with no business but to sue people. apple uses every single patent they sue against in actual products they sell

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
Yes, like 'rounded corners on rectangles'... Puhlease.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

oletheos

join:2010-10-26
Springfield, MO
an who have they sued for that?

and blame the patent office for giving such a stupid patent.

i do think all software patents are stupid and need to be shared, but calling apple patent trolls is just not even close to being the definition of what it means.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
said by oletheos:

You're kidding, right?
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
said by Juggernaut:

said by oletheos:

You're kidding, right?

haha
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to AsherN
said by AsherN:

The innovation is to have both an output only AND an input-output jacks, operating independently. Neat idea.

Most females of most species have had that 'feature' for millennium.
Patentable? Probably not.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
reply to itguy05
I am not aware of any pharmaceutical company suing another because both use rounded edges on their pills, are the same size and color.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to oletheos
said by oletheos:

how is apple a patent troll? trolls are people who get a patent with no business but to sue people. apple uses every single patent they sue against in actual products they sell

Apple has become the poster boy for patent trolls. Sure they make products but name a single innovation that Apple has created or I'll even make this easier, name what is innovative about any iProduct that Apple makes. Apple is simply the evolution of products and in true Sony fashion and hardly worthy of a single real patent, hence why the patent office has to go as they wouldn't know real innovation if it kicked in the doors and ripped them a new one so they simply grant a patent for anything.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool