spc
uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to elray

to elray

Re: Time-Warner for the Win!

As I've said before, for Google, TV service is not their bread and butter and that's not where they make their money (look at their lineup and their pricing). So they don't care if they pass up a subscriber who would have gone TV-only. That person can go TV-only with DISH and go along their merry way.

As far as low-income households go, if TWC has their way they would be paying $30-$35 per month for 'net access at 3 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up, after paying $20 per month for the first twelve. Compare this to 5/1 for $300 spread over 12 months and then nothing thereafter, and Google wins. Remember that many low-income families are paying more than $25 for phone service, even if they're on prepaid.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

Crusty

said by iansltx:

As far as low-income households go, if TWC has their way they would be paying $30-$35 per month for 'net access at 3 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up, after paying $20 per month for the first twelve. Compare this to 5/1 for $300 spread over 12 months and then nothing thereafter, and Google wins. Remember that many low-income families are paying more than $25 for phone service, even if they're on prepaid.

^This....$300 spread over equal payments over 12 months...equates to very little. I'd even argue some of the poorest households could easily afford this.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

The $300 for 5MB only is a home improvement fee to install fiber (or $25/month first year), not a service fee. If a homeowner pays the $300 then someone else moves in, the next person gets 5MB 'free' for the remaining of 7 years total.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Lowest tier TWC offers is a 3/1 tier for $20 per month(plus fees and taxes), and with their modem rental charge, im sure it comes out to about $31 to 33 per month.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Before we all bash TWC keep in mind:

They are good about letting you use your own modem
They can actually push 3Mbit to the low end users
The support isn't pure crap.

Compare to Vz or Century or Frontier
They loop at 3mbit and barely push 768 through there
The have modem fees even with your own modem (Frontier)
The actually fix stuff (Vz keeps telling me they want me on FiOS not DSL...get FioS here and i'll use it).

And TWC has a wider footprint.

Don't get me wrong I'd fork over $300 in a hearbeat for 7 years internet.