uniqs
share rss forum feed

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to Chubbysumo

Re: Time-Warner for the Win!

said by Chubbysumo:

Legally, I dont think google can datamine your personal connection, as it could be considered illegal wiretapping, and they would probably not take that risk.

Umm, they read your e-mails.....

said by Chubbysumo:

Most ISPs just maintain a log of what modem has what IP, and whos account that modem is linked too, and they only store those for a few weeks to a few months at a time because those little points of data for 10000 customers, all with dynamic IPs, yea, that gets a bit huge.

It's not that much data at all:

DATETIME - 8 bytes
IPADDRESS - 16 bytes (actually only 4 for IPV4, but why not future proof it for IPV6)
CUSTOMERNO - indeterminate, call it 8 bytes to make the total a round number of 32, though an efficient table design could get away with a 4 byte value, since that would allow for >4 billion references to a customer table.

In reality IP addresses don't change that often, but let's say they change once a day, for ten million customers:

10,000,000 x 32 = 305.17 megabytes

That's nothing in this day and age. A terabyte would give you nearly ten years worth of logging, and likely more than that, since I'm being conservative with my numbers here.
Expand your moderator at work

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Crookshanks

Re: Time-Warner for the Win!

They only read your Emails if your dumb enough to use their email service, and at that, even that is currently illegal in the USA. Your email are considered private until they are 180 days old, or unopened, or in the face of any government agent or official.

Im sure its more than 305MB/day if it were logged, and hardware to do so isnt free, thus, why ISPs probably have smaller HDDs and just simply log the most recent few. Keep in mind, those logs would likely show general chatter between the CMTS and the modem as well, and then anything else they are set up to log. We all know corporations are excellent at wasting money by inefficiencies.