join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

[WIN8] JIS Keyboard support in Windows 8

My hardware all use JIS (Japanese) keyboards and my problem is while OS X has native JIS hardware support, Windows NA installs don't. Win 7 and later have the language input and font support, but not support for the actual keyboard layout, so the @-sign for example, on the US KB is Shift+2 but on a JIS keyboard it is to the right of the P key. Lots of keys are rearranged in this fashion.

Where do you DL keyboard support from Microsoft? I googled around and only found registry hacks, but they're for Win 7 and I'm running Windows 8 in a Parallels virtual machine.

TIA

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

Figured for posterity I'd update the thread in case someone else has the problem. Being that I eat Crayons regularly it didn't occur to me to poke around with the keyboard driver itself. Built into both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are native keyboard layouts for various languages including Korean and Japanese (both 106/109 and Eisuu versions). So if you do wonder how to change the keyboard layout of the OS to match your keyboard, Windows itself will install a generic 104 key keyboard driver and may not detect your keyboard as being an alternate layout. Simply go into device manager in control panel and choose the keyboard, then change the driver to whatever layout you have. After restarting your keys should be remapped. Worked for me in both Windows 7 and Windows 8, native and in Parallels + VMWare virtual machines.