how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BroadcastGuy

join:2012-08-20
Reviews:
·TELUS

[BC] TELUS Optik TV/Internet via Fibre (GPON)

I live in a building where TELUS has Fibre-to-the-Suite, therefore (forgive my ignorance) I have the Alcatel Lucent box in my Utility Box, along with the battery backup and the Actiontec router. It looks to me that the Alcatel Lucent box is proving an ethernet connection out of port one to the Actiontec router. The Optik TV STB's are then connected to port 1/2 of the Actiontec modem/router. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Actiontec merely acting as a router because of the Alcatel Lucent box providing the connection to TELUS' network?

If so, am I able to connect the 2 STB's to the Lucent equipment either directly or through a gigabit switch and then use my ASUS RT-N56U router as my soon to be Optik 50 internet router via one of the other free ports on the Alcatel Lucent equipment?

Thanks!

xeonic
Premium
join:2011-09-03

I think your best option would be to connect a switch between your ONT (the Alcatel Lucent box) and the Actiontec. Leave your STB's connected to the Actiontec and disable it's wireless. Then connect your ASUS RT-N56U to the switch and use the RT-N56U for the rest of your network.

Only port 1 on the ONT is enabled and if you connect the STB's directly to the ONT (via a switch) they will get public IP addresses and your PVR, etc. won't work properly.

I don't know what options the RT-N56U has but it may be possible to configure it so you can connect the STB's to it and due away with the switch and Actiontec but it might be more trouble than its worth to setup.

BroadcastGuy

join:2012-08-20
Reviews:
·TELUS

That makes sense. They need to be on the same network so they can communicate with one another.

Thanks for your help. I think this will be a good setup. The RT-N56U does have an IPTV menu with Multicast options. Perhaps that's where I'd set it up to work with the STB's.

xeonic
Premium
join:2011-09-03

1 edit

No problem, I've had mine setup this way for over a year - no issues.

If you did want to try and use the RT-N56U you'd have to setup an igmpproxy, QOS and make sure your TTV multicast doesn't flood your wireless by using vlans or igmp snooping.

peonsayswhat

@telus.net

When do you think Groupon will complete its recent network changes?