Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru

Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

I was reading the Comcast IPv6 site: »www.comcast6.net/

And I do not understand this because there's no clear information on HOW to use IPv6 with Comcast.

1) How do you know if your area has IPv6?
2) If your area does have it, and you have the correct modem and an IPv6 device, how do you use it? Just plug it in?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by joako:

You can try configuring for it and see if it works. Or you can look around the forum some. One of the Comcast folks who posts here can take your cable modem MAC address and check to see if IPv6 has been deployed on your local equipment. See: »Re: [IPv6] My router doesn't work over IPv6
said by joako:

2) If your area does have it, and you have the correct modem and an IPv6 device, how do you use it? Just plug it in?

What I did here for native IPv6 on my m0n0wall router is this:

On the router WAN interface set IPV6 mode to DHCP.

On the router LAN interface set IPv6 mode to DHCP-PD,
Set IPv6 Prefix Delegation to 0/64,
Enable IPv6 Router Advertisements with Managed Flag.

Your computer(s) must have their IPv6 stack enabled and set to receive router advertisements. How this is done varies with OS.

The nomenclature will vary from router to router, but should be similar enough to be able to get it right.

If native IPv6 is not deployed in your area yet, you can still use IPv6 with a Tunnel Broker such as Hurricane Electric or maybe an IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel using a Comcast gateway if they are still enabled in your area.

A Hurricane Electric tunneled IPv6 setup has the benefit of static IPv6 address assignments, but it is tied to your IPv4 address which may be dynamic. If it changes you will have to update that endpoint at Hurricane. There are automated tools that can do this for you, they too vary with OS.

Good luck.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Is a router required? Wouldn't a Windows 7 PC with default settings work with IPv6?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I suppose so, but I don't know all the details of how.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Well, I did try tcpdump'ing for ipv6 traffic, but did not see an RA packets. But that doesn't surprise me since the Netgear doesn't have any IPv6 info in it's network information page.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:

And I do not understand this because there's no clear information on HOW to use IPv6 with Comcast.

What would you like to see to help out with this?
said by joako:

Take a device what supports DHCPv6 and plug it into the cable modem to see if you get an IPv6 address. IE Windows Vista, Windows 7, or the latest version of Mac OS.

Or ping me via PM with your cable modem HFC\RF MAC address and I will check on this for you.
said by joako:

If you use IE Windows Vista, Windows 7, or the latest version of Mac OS directly behind the cable modem you would be good to go.

If you have a router you will need to check for DHCPv6-PD support and enable it. Do you have a router?