Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

filby

join:2012-11-28
Beverly Hills, CA

4 edits
reply to billaustin

Re: Simultaneous Dual band router integrated w/dsl modems exist?

billAustin, thanks for the tip to describe to tech supp...if they can grasp the concept that should work

So, to get true simul dual band, can you bridge a plain G router (non-dual band) to the dsl modem (with built in N router), and use the G router for these older devices, as well as use newer "N" devices thru the dsl modem's "N" router ? Or is it not true simul since the routers are effectively passing a signal serially (are they not?)

If this is not true Simul. dual band, then to accomplish that would it be better to disable the internal N router in the dsl modem and buy and attach (bridge) a Simul dual band router to the dsl modem? With either method, would I be able to keep TKIP on the old router/radio, but use the latest WPA2 security on the N router/radio ? I'm pretty confident this is fine with a standalone simul bad router, but not sure about the scenario in the 1st paragraph. And yes I know TKIP is ancient but I have a print server depending on it and a perfectly good non-wireless laser, neither that I want to get rid of.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Is this what you are looking for? »www.google.com/search?q=simul+du···&bih=831
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

filby

join:2012-11-28
Beverly Hills, CA

IrishShark, Simultaneous dual band, not regular dual band, but thanks anyhow.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to filby

said by filby:

If this is not true Simul. dual band, then to accomplish that would it be better to disable the internal N router in the dsl modem and buy and attach (bridge) a Simul dual band router to the dsl modem?

This is what I would recommend. Get whatever router that has all the features you need. After disabling all the routing, wireless capabilities of the DSL modem/router and putting it in transparent bridging mode, connect your super-duper router and have it do PPPoE authentication (assuming that's what your ISP uses).