how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BG5150

join:2008-08-14
New York, NY

DPSing in tank gear

I want to dust off my lvl 85 tank and get to 90. Questing so far has been hard, since killing stuff takes so long.

Would respec'ing to DPS work with my (85) tank gear? At least kill things faster?

I may jump into dungeons, but it's been some months since I've tanked and don't want to be a total fail right away in MoP.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
Plate tank or leather tank? Leather has it super easy; just need to swap trinkets if anything.

Shield tank? get a 2Her at least and go Arms/Ret.

In general, "yes". You can reforge out the tank-only stats if you want to (and hedge by going full bore mastery, which does something for each spec). The Strength/Agil on the gear will still be useful for doing more damage, and the damage specs will have more tools to do damage without Vengeance being counted in.

BG5150

New York, NY
reply to BG5150
Sorry.

Pally Tank.

BG5150

New York, NY
reply to BG5150
Intention is to keep the tank specs on armor (incl reforge) and just hopefully have enough of a gain in DPS via respec only to make it worthwhile.

And I could just queue as tank and respec back when lfd dings.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

If you don't care about occasionally getting kicked from LFR... knock yourself out. You just aren't going to see good numbers... at all. the dodge/parry might as well be pvp power/spirit for all you care dps wise. In fact you'd be better off just buying a set of the crafted i450 blues for your dps set.

Scenarios (for the VP) and dungeons should get you enough dps gear to build a second set.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to BG5150
said by BG5150:

I may jump into dungeons, but it's been some months since I've tanked and don't want to be a total fail right away in MoP.

In playing MOP so far, I've only seen people over-exaggerate how hard it is to tank in this expac. Stop worrying about failing and just go. All your muscle memory is correct, and the fudge zone for error is even wider now that it seems like tanking stats are hit/expertise/crit/haste on most of the tanks (tanks--at least bears--focus on resource generation to put up active mitigation).

I've even tanked LFR bosses in kitty gear when I accidentally queue'd as tank and don't feel like dropping to requeue as dps and deal with the leaver debuff. Aside from trinkets, the gear is *the* *exact* *same*.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
dovetailing a little bit... by the time you get to where tanking matters (Garalon+), you'll have a feel for what you should be doing and you'll have some gear (at least 470). Don't sweat it too much... but please... please... read some basic strats before tanking LFR.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Baddies, well gonna be bad.

BG5150

New York, NY
reply to BG5150
I don't raid much, and if I do, it's on my dps main.

So I'm not planning on joining LF R. Just LF D.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
k then maybe not a baddie

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
reply to Krisnatharok
wtb warrior using DPS stats for their tank model :\

I think we're the only ones who don't scale defensively with either crit or haste.

Bears: rage on auto-attack crits, haste for more auto-attacks
Monks: crits for elusive brew stacks (I think?), haste for energy regen
Paladins: haste for more HoPo generation
DKs: haste for faster rune regen (right?)

I guess we offensively scale with mastery (due to more crit blocks which is unique among tanks), and a bit with parry (due to more Revenge resets), but its not nearly as effective, especially on fights with slow hitters, or heavy magic damage so we're forced into using Barrier instead of Block and don't have high enrage uptime.

Maybe if we got more rage from critting Shield Slams or something. Or haste lowered our GCD so that we can get more rage from more Devastates proccing Sword and Board. I DUNNO

/gripe

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
You sound way to somilar to our Warrior tank. Like crazy similar. Lich, that really you?

Deathstalkr

join:2010-12-22
reply to BG5150
Pull more mobs = more vegence. Win. Never pull one mob unless it is well above your level or elite.

When I was working quests with my paly tank I would switch targets until they were all low so I didn't lose vengence. Seemed like all the mobs would die faster.

Further, if you want to tank just insta-q dungeons. That's what you want to do anyways.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

dovetailing a little bit... by the time you get to where tanking matters (Garalon+), you'll have a feel for what you should be doing and you'll have some gear (at least 470). Don't sweat it too much... but please... please... read some basic strats before tanking LFR.

I don't know what I was doing, but I was number five on damage and had the most opportunistic strikes of anyone in the raid, so I feel like I redeemed myself for queue fail.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to BG5150
said by BG5150:

I want to dust off my lvl 85 tank and get to 90. Questing so far has been hard, since killing stuff takes so long.

Would respec'ing to DPS work with my (85) tank gear? At least kill things faster?

Tanking has been made easier this expansion than ever before, everything is simplified all tanks get the same buffs/debuffs for questing you can go the tank way since it takes the same time to kill 10 mobs than to kill only one or if you want to practice your dps spec go that way.

I think the only one of my tanks that uses the dps spec is the DK because frost is just awesome. other than that, prot all the way.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Immer:

I don't know what I was doing, but I was number five on damage and had the most opportunistic strikes of anyone in the raid, so I feel like I redeemed myself for queue fail.

I guess I wasn't in that raid.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Nick D
I'd rather play a warrior then. Honestly, I hate what they are doing with tanks this expac. It should *always* be dodge/parry/mastery/stam for tanks. This is about as stupid as the whole Vengeance thing last expac.

/rant
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Immer:

I guess I wasn't in that raid.

Yeah. SOMEONE fell asleep and kicked me out of queue after 23 minutes, then left me hanging ...
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Oh man last night... erhm... yeah.... I ... gues...

DasGoat

@sbcglobal.net
reply to BG5150
Go ahead and run dungeons as a tank. I was worried at first but they're really easy.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
reply to Krisnatharok
you fell asleep again?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by stvnbrs:

you fell asleep again?

So after getting kicked out of the queue after 23 minutes because Jobbie is afk, I queue'd up in a heroic and am on the last boss fight when Jobbie wakes up, says he still wants to do the raid, and says "brb" for the 2 minutes it takes me to finish the heroic.

Does he show up again? no...
--

BG5150

New York, NY
reply to BG5150
I tried tanking the dungeons available and found them ok to do.

Plus, with some marginal increases in my gear, things in PvE are going down a bit quicker. (Not as fast as my dps toons, but a lot quicker than a week ago.)

So, I'll stay Prot spec'd and level through questing and dungeoneering as a tank.

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
I levelled from 85-90 as a blood DK, in tank gear. No other way to go - it wasn't THAT slow (maybe 15-20% slower per kill than my hunter, but zero downtime) and you can survive insane stuff (8-10 monsters at a time).

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by stvnbrs:

you fell asleep again?

So after getting kicked out of the queue after 23 minutes because Jobbie is afk, I queue'd up in a heroic and am on the last boss fight when Jobbie wakes up, says he still wants to do the raid, and says "brb" for the 2 minutes it takes me to finish the heroic.

Does he show up again? no...

Poopsock side effects.

Sry bro.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
late is late

WHAT IS THIS?

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
He had a tech support call on Skype.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to BG5150
If you're questing as prot and only fighting one mob at a time, you're doing it wrong. Grab several. The more that are hitting you, the more vengeance, the faster they die.

Plus hammer of cleave (I never can remember the right name) is part of your rotation, and having it hit only one is silly.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Playing a tank is all about testing your limits, seeing how much stuff you can pull before you go "oh shit" mode.

Questing, dungeons do not matter, that the life of a tank.
--

Threatco

join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB
reply to BG5150
tip:

karasang wilds. In the east town of Zhu's Watch is a quest chain, the last quest in the chain for protecting that town involves a phased quest. Within the town you will be phased from everyone else not on the quest.

The point of this is that 13 level 86 90k hp Sha Minion adds spawn around the town, they drop motes of harmony with regular frequency, and they respawn VERY fast, by the time you aoe them down, they all ready respawn.

I leveled my rogue from 85-89 over a few days just doing this. No other quests, bgs, lfd, nothing. I collected about 400 motes of harmony and made about 2000g from selling greys and greens that drop.

I am not normaly a "grind/farm" kind of guy. But this was so easy, it was a no brainer. I just put on my music, did it for a few hours a day and got a level each day. Better then I did questing on my druid Lore Master.