Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Cartel

Re: [BC] My games suck because of high ping, what can I do about

Let this be a waring for someone considering Telus.
People want me to post screen-shots of my ping in games?

Just fix it already.

People on here asking for your telephone number to help but do nothing and I wonder if they are even real employees.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21

1 recommendation

said by Cartel:

Just fix it already.

People on here asking for your telephone number to help but do nothing and I wonder if they are even real employees.

Is that a serious question ? We volunteer our free time to help user. It certainly not in our job description to action any request we received. I don't even receive any financial compensation or accolade. I am not seeking any either. I do this because I am in a position when I can help.

I game a lot online and I don't believe anyone can really tell the difference between an 15ms ping and 40ms ping response during gameplay. TELUS prefer your connection to be stable first. There is tweak we can do to help but we are not in any obligation whatsoever to guarantee any ping rate. This is the last of our concern. I would be more worry about packet loss and other factor that has a greater effect on your connection.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to Cartel
You should be happy that a TELUS employee acknowledged the problem and provided some information. With other ISP's I have had less helpful support too. And I completely agree with Symtex. First stability then latency.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
said by jtl999:

You should be happy that a TELUS employee acknowledged the problem and provided some information. With other ISP's I have had less helpful support too. And I completely agree with Symtex. First stability then latency.

I'd be happy if the employee followed up on his promise "private message me your number, and I can put you on these profiles"

I did that 3 weeks ago.

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada
Remember that the person you asked for isn't the only on here that works for TELUS.
And just like everyone who works, sometimes other stuff has to come first.
If you needed your ping fixed quicker than 3 weeks ago, you could have just called TELUS...

However, I'm back in the office on Tuesday. If you want, PM me your number, and I can take a look at your line. However, given what you're on, we can't turn water into wine.

I see that you're on a 6Mb/s profile (as per your Actiontec stats.) Since I haven't talked to you yet and don't have your info, I'm not sure if you can get faster speeds.

Initially for my 50Mb/s install, I was put on a 32ms delay profile. After changing that to a 5ms delay profile, my ping did lower a bit, but stability wasn't quite as good and speed wasn't as high. And in all honesty, even after settling on the 16ms profile, it didn't overly change my ping, better or worse.

To answer your other questions though:

I have a pots splitter in the wall here would that make a difference?
POTS splitter > microfilters.

Maybe it should be mounted in the utility room?
What? Your gateway? Your POTS splitter?

Maybe I need a seperate line for the DSL?
A POTS splitter already does this. The line that your modem/gateway plugs into is only for DSL. Plugging a phone into it will give you no dial tone. It's solely for internet.

I'm also only 450M from the phone building
This will not necessarily reduce your pings. It may increase your bandwidth allotment.

OP will surely deliver...
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.