sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to unibroker

Premium Member

to unibroker

Re: adb umount problems

Did you try "fuser" (as root) to see what process was using the mount point?

# fuser /dev/whatever

If it reports a processid, then

ps -ef | grep that-process-id

to investigate what it is.

Exit the process if you have control of it. Otherise
kill -9 that-process-id
will put a bullet in its head.

Usually when I can't umount a drive its because I changed to the mount point directory in another window and forgot that I had done so.
unibroker
Premium Member
join:2010-11-12
Coeur D Alene, ID

unibroker

Premium Member

I don't know what to replace "whatever" with. I've tried a wildcard but it returns about 25, 4 digit numbers. I've tried /sdcard but get "fuser: can't stat '/dev/sdcard': No such file or directory".
unibroker

unibroker to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
I found something in the output of the adb shell that caught my eye.

root@android:/ # ls -l /mnt/sdcard
lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-11-30 12:59 sdcard -> /storage/sdcard1

The last item, "sdcard1" is how both file managers on the device now label the sdcard. What does "sdcard -> /storage/sdcard1" mean?

sempergoofy
Premium Member
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

The "sdcard -> /storage/sdcard1" means that "sdcard" is a symbolic link to
/storage/sdcard1" The letter "L" at the beginnng of the permissions confirms that.

Try "fuser /storage/sdcard1" and see what it yields. (Hopefully one or more process id numbers.)
unibroker
Premium Member
join:2010-11-12
Coeur D Alene, ID

unibroker

Premium Member

root@android:/ # fuser /storage/sdcard1
1|root@android:/ #
unibroker

unibroker to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
Apparently this is all related to Google changing the way it deals with usb connection. With the new Android 4.+ (Jellybean) they've gone to MTP which is why I couldn't see the device from nautilus in Ubuntu. When I ran a ROM based on Android 2.7 (Gingerbread) my Ubuntu nautilus could view it.

»askubuntu.com/questions/ ··· tu-12-04

The third sentence in the above link refers to a very good explanation with a comment from a google engineer as to why the switch.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

Glad you found this article. Very interesting.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to unibroker

Premium Member

to unibroker
said by unibroker:

Apparently this is all related to Google changing the way it deals with usb connection. With the new Android 4.+ (Jellybean) they've gone to MTP which is why I couldn't see the device from nautilus in Ubuntu. When I ran a ROM based on Android 2.7 (Gingerbread) my Ubuntu nautilus could view it.

»askubuntu.com/questions/ ··· tu-12-04

The third sentence in the above link refers to a very good explanation with a comment from a google engineer as to why the switch.

That is a very good read, and explains a lot of the confusion I had been having about why I could not switch off of MTP.