spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skyangry

@rogers.com

Outrage(going over cap)

This is my last straw with rogers I'm literally sick to my stomach over how angry I'm with this company...Apparently even though I never going over cap...This one month when I do end up going over 67 gig, they end up charging me 100 dollars overage fee... I'm trying to cancel but apparently only my mom can even though I pay the bills(she is out of country). This is just a vent post...I feel rip off and abused, they shouldn't be allow to a run business the way they do.I also think something fishy is going on because even though I work all the time and my sister only reads manga online, we end up using 4-5 gig on days where I'm away.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
You feel ripped off because you signed up with a company that offers a capped service and you got charged for overusage?!?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
have your mom call and switch the service to you so you can cancel (or have her cancel). then consider switching to Start.ca or Teksavvy where they not only have 300GB caps for the same plans, but technically have no cap right now since they have no means to monitor a user's usage.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to skyangry
said by skyangry :

I also think something fishy is going on because even though I work all the time and my sister only reads manga online, we end up using 4-5 gig on days where I'm away.

Sounds like somebody might be stealing (piggybacking) your wireless. Probably be a good idea to check your router settings. Wi-Fi Protected Access version 2 (WPA2) is currently the best encryption method (if available)......

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to skyangry
Well, you can't cancel, but you might be able to get that $100 reduce to $50 or even $25 if you get the right person. Might be tough getting there, but just explain to them you're the current householder and bill payer.

Rogers overages are insane..and they should be bumping people up to the next tier instead of these insane overages.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by J E F F:

Well, you can't cancel, but you might be able to get that $100 reduce to $50 or even $25 if you get the right person. Might be tough getting there, but just explain to them you're the current householder and bill payer.

Rogers overages are insane..and they should be bumping people up to the next tier instead of these insane overages.

All authorized users are allowed to dispute charges, so the OP can certainly attempt to dispute the charges if he/she wishes. However, Rogers business rules dictate that cable internet overage charges are never to be credited back. They also certainly don't have any incentive to credit you back either, if you're planning on cancelling the service anyways.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
I had my overage credited back. It was $90 and I reminded them that the overage was $50 MAX. They reminded me that that changed and the overage is $100 max. I told them I never received alleged message regarding change, so they credited my account $45.

However, Rogers should jump people to the next level when this happens.

It's called "Negative billing.."
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by J E F F:

I had my overage credited back. It was $90 and I reminded them that the overage was $50 MAX. They reminded me that that changed and the overage is $100 max. I told them I never received alleged message regarding change, so they credited my account $45.

It's called "Negative billing.."

You might get a one time credit to reduce the charges to $50 with that excuse, but the notification that the maximum cap is changing was printed on everyone's invoice.

Also bumping people up to the next tier automatically would piss off a lot of people. I would hate to go over by 1GB and have to pay for the next tier instead of paying $2 for overage charges. Rogers has pretty adequate tools for customers to track their usage. If a customer DECIDES that they want to change their tier in the middle of the bill cycle they can do that and the usage will not be prorated so they can benefit from the higher usage covering the entire billing period.

batkinson001

join:2006-08-07
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to skyangry
I have had this happen for the last 5 months or so, my brother discovered netflix in addition to his downloading habits, leaving me with paying not only the normal internet bill but the overages too (the account is in my mothers' name)... I am tired of this and am looking for an alternative to rogers that only I can use (the family can keep rogers, I want my own internet that I can take with me when i move out).
--
Canadian Football League... This is OUR League!
CFL > NFL
Enjoy wasting your money Rogers...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Considering that's tied to speed as well as usage, definitely not going to happen.

Though I'm not sure why they couldn't re-arrange things to do "flex plan" usage limits like they do on wireless.

HammerofGawd

join:2012-06-30
reply to yyzlhr
"Rogers business rules dictate that cable internet overage charges are never to be credited back."

In correct: reps have the authority to do so and the reasons are flexible. Be nice to the rep and you may be surprised. But be sure it's RHSI t/s you are asking. So long as its not a pattern of over usage and there are repeated requests for credits, you can get them. But t/s will insist you figure what the root cause is.

Kane Hart

join:2012-11-17
reply to skyangry
I see some rogers ass kissing. I'm sorry I signed up for Shaw... Unlimited then it was converted to rogers unlimited then rogers kept fing everyone up from there. So no most of us did not sign up for rogers for limited use...

Funny how Technology is going backwards for rogers.

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to batkinson001
Teksavvy is always a good option. If you can't get that for some reason, try Distributel.

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Kane Hart
Not just Rogers, it's the same for the other big telcos too. Telus is halving usage caps come Februry.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to HammerofGawd
said by HammerofGawd:

"Rogers business rules dictate that cable internet overage charges are never to be credited back."

In correct: reps have the authority to do so and the reasons are flexible. Be nice to the rep and you may be surprised. But be sure it's RHSI t/s you are asking. So long as its not a pattern of over usage and there are repeated requests for credits, you can get them. But t/s will insist you figure what the root cause is.

They can disguise the credit as something else to get away with it, but overage charges are not considered a valid reason to issue credits.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
reply to skyangry
2 years ago Rogers increased their overage cap from $25 a month to $50. This year they increased it from $50 a month to $100.

If you're in an area where you can get internet access from a third party provider, there is NO reason for you to stay with Rogers.

It's internet access, there is no need to be worried about a bit of downtime and needing the support advantages they have over saving in some cases over $100 a month.

I just paid for my second full year with my provider at a cost of $48.50 a month (tax included) for 28/1 unlimited and that includes VPN access, SSH tunnel (private browsing) and online computer with 100gb of storage.

Look around for what's available in your area. Rogers is a complete and total ripoff, no matter how much you download a month.

bt

canada
said by Samgee:

If you're in an area where you can get internet access from a third party provider, there is NO reason for you to stay with Rogers.

It's internet access, there is no need to be worried about a bit of downtime and needing the support advantages they have over saving in some cases over $100 a month.

That's your value assessment. Some people will put those support advantages at a higher value than you do.

And based on monthly usage, and what retention deals you can get - in some cases Rogers is cheaper.

Samgee

canada
said by bt:

And based on monthly usage, and what retention deals you can get - in some cases Rogers is cheaper.

The thread is dealing with bandwidth caps, so I suspect monthly usage is a big factor.

I've seen the retention deals, and if you're still paying for home phone or cable with Rogers then some of the discounts placed on the internet access can be worth it, again until you go over the cap which is what the OP is complaining about.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
reply to skyangry
100 dollars now then 200 dollars. They may leave it uncapped for usage charges like cogeco. No limit for them to rip u off.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to bt
said by bt:

and what retention deals you can get

Anyone that relies on retention deals deserves to get triple raped by Rogers.

bt

canada
said by 34764170:

said by bt:

Classy.

What's your beef with someone saving money, anyways?

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
said by bt:

said by 34764170:

said by bt:

Classy.
What's your beef with someone saving money, anyways?

Someone's bitter that they don't have the negotiating skills to get a deal.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to skyangry
I'd rather deal with a company that gives decent pricing from the beginning instead of having to play stupid games. You guys probably didn't think about that because that would be too logical.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
guess what in some areas you can't get the other guys. that is all there is to it.

bt

canada
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

I'd rather deal with a company that gives decent pricing from the beginning instead of having to play stupid games.

Nothing wrong with that.

But apparently you also wish ill upon anyone who would rather play games if it means they spend less. You seem to take the thought of someone not having your exact priorities pretty personally. For some people, the bottom line is, well, the bottom line and they don't care at all about any form of corporate loyalty (or corporate spite). You probably didn't think about that because it wouldn't be emotional enough.

said by 34764170:

You guys probably didn't think about that because that would be too logical.

Perhaps you should have tried using some basic observation skills before posting that. (hint: look to the left of this post for a clue about how you're wrong in that assumption)

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

I'd rather deal with a company that gives decent pricing from the beginning instead of having to play stupid games. You guys probably didn't think about that because that would be too logical.

Teksavvy isn't available in my area, and from what I hear, they're not exactly reliable these days. Bell is not even worth consdering, because they're Bell. So I negotiate the best deal with Rogers I possibly can. In return, I get faster, more stable service than you, a cap I can manage (most months) and the price I pay for performance is the cost of the service.

Your logical arguments are hampered by a lack of information.

Samgee

canada
said by JAC70:

In return, I get faster, more stable service

Over my years with Rogers I actually had more downtime and worse congestion/throttling than I ever have in my 2+ years with Acanac. The only reason they are able to currently offer higher speeds is because they are violating the CRTC speed matching rulings.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to JAC70
said by JAC70:

Teksavvy isn't available in my area, and from what I hear, they're not exactly reliable these days. Bell is not even worth consdering, because they're Bell. So I negotiate the best deal with Rogers I possibly can. In return, I get faster, more stable service than you, a cap I can manage (most months) and the price I pay for performance is the cost of the service.

Your logical arguments are hampered by a lack of information.

Rogers is not worth considering either. They're worse than Bell. You don't have a more stable service and faster means nothing to me with such pathetic caps. Caps make the connection unusable for me.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to bt
said by bt:

Perhaps you should have tried using some basic observation skills before posting that. (hint: look to the left of this post for a clue about how you're wrong in that assumption)

My comment was about Rogers not Start you genius.

bt

canada
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

They're worse than Bell.

That's a matter of opinion.

said by 34764170:

You don't have a more stable service

Depends on the area. Some people absolutely do have a more stable service with Rogers than they would with Bell.

said by 34764170:

and faster means nothing to me with such pathetic caps. Caps make the connection unusable for me.

That's you. Don't be so foolish as to think that applies to everyone else as well. Many, many people stay comfortably under the Rogers caps without having to even try to do so. To those people, your issues with the Rogers caps mean absolutely nothing at all.

said by 34764170:

said by bt:

My comment was about Rogers not Start you genius.

I know which company your comment was about. What you missed, genius, was the point. I'm with a company that gives decent pricing from the beginning instead of having to play games. Yet according to you, I "probably didn't think about that".