uniqs

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

1 edit

DataRiker

Premium Member

Installing two wifi routers in very large house

What is the best configuration for installing 2 wifi routers behind a cable modem?

Would it be cable modem ---> first router (DHCP enabled) ---->lan port second router (dhcp disabled)

Also can you use the same SSID and Password on both routers? So for example when the user walks from one side of a huge house to another it will automatically pick the stronger signal?

Thanks in advance for any advice
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

3 edits

jimbopalmer

If you have not purchased them, what you really want is one router and one Wireless Access Point.
If you have them already
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Use the same SSID and password
use different channels: 1, 6, and 11 make good choices.
WiFi does not include roaming in the spec, that would be proprietary to one vendor's products.

These are cheap and work for me.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· =TP-LINK

These devices also work if the link between the router and the WAP is wireless (the buzzword is universal repeater) but it is MUCH slower, at least twice as slow, often more. In this mode, everything is on one channel.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt to DataRiker

MVM

to DataRiker
Yes to both questions.

What you are doing is turning the 2nd router into an Access Point.

The client decides which AP to connect to based on signal strength determination. Roaming will be transparent.

/tom

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano to DataRiker

MVM

to DataRiker
You've got it all right.

Would it be cable modem ---> first router (DHCP enabled) ---->lan port second router (dhcp disabled)

Same SSID, same password, different channels.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

One last question, will a regular straight through cable work, or do I have to make a crossover cable?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Straight

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

ok got it thanks

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to DataRiker

MVM

to DataRiker
said by DataRiker:

will a regular straight through cable work, or do I have to make a crossover cable?

It depends - you are connecting an Enet switch port to another Enet switch port. Normally that would require a crossover cable.

However: most modern Ethernet equipment includes Auto-Mdix which automatically determines far end of the connection and swaps TX/Rx if needed allowing use of straight through cable.

Try a straight through cable - if it works you are done. If not use a crossover cable.

/tom

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
Yes, if you can ethernet wire devices together that is usually the best option. If not power line devices using either your powerlines or existing coax can be effective connecting strategies.
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Due to volumes, its usually cheaper to get a second wifi router and use it as an access point/switch.

DataRiker
Premium Member

1 edit

DataRiker

Premium Member

I'm using two netgear WNDR3800's.

It has a setting titled "USE AP MODE"

Should I use that, or do the configuration manually, or is there even a difference?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

AP mode is exactly what you looking for on the 2nd router. Just double check the DHCP server is disabled. And WAN port on 2nd router will be unused.

DataRiker
Premium Member

DataRiker

Premium Member

Do I need to set the IP address of the second router when using AP mode as in the guide?

e.g. outside of the DHCP pool range of the first?

Sorry for so many questions but I don't have a chance to experiment as I will be setting up for a friend soon. Just hoping for an informed install.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Yes, set static IP outside DHCP range .