how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ndt

join:2008-08-22
Picayune, MS

[General] Free Temporary upgrade

Did anyone else get this e-mail from AT&T ?

"We're really glad to have you as an
AT&T High Speed Internet service member!

To show you how much we appreciate your business, as a special thank you we'll be upgrading your speed for FREE for 12 months!

You don't have to do a thing. Starting on or about December 3, 2012, you'll automatically be upgraded to the next higher speed plan at no extra cost - so you can enjoy even faster Internet - but at the same price as your current plan. That means you could get up to twice the speed for the same price!*

We hope you enjoy it!

At the end of 12 months we'll automatically return you to your current speed, at your current price, or you can choose to keep the higher speed at the then - current price. (Don't worry, we'll send you a reminder!)

If you have any questions at all, you can reach us at 1.800.209.0916. Again, thank you for being an AT&T High Speed Internet member.

Sincerely,
Paul Radosevici
Director - Marketing Management "

burris
Premium
join:2000-08-22
Miami, FL
Sure sounds weird.

I wonder what's going on with them? Totally out of character.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by burris:

Sure sounds weird.

I wonder what's going on with them? Totally out of character.

Sounds to me like an excuse to kill grandfathered free static IP addresses. This is an account change, and that is all that is required to cause AT&T to drop the free grandfathered static IP address.

Also it is a meaningless gesture if the customer is already receiving the fastest service that their connection will support. If I still had my 3 mbps circuits, there would be no way that AT&T could increase the sync rate without installing an RT based DSLAM (not likely to happen). The laws of physics still apply no matter what some marketing guy declares.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
But in my case they could.

Tried 6mps a while back, and it was kind of flaky... but thought of giving it a try again, maybe Uverse development improved things... but no longer an option.

And OK I hear well take UVERSE then.... well if they would sell just the internet at a reasonable cost I would. But I am happy with Sat TV and cheap basic POTS service I have no need of their everything and the kitchen sink too bundling which is the ONLY way UVERSE is reasonable.
--

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
If I were paying full price( which I'm not ) for DSL, I could go on UVerse at no additional cost...same price as my naked DSL I now have.

With each requisite 6 month call I make to them to keep the discounted price on my DSL, they make me this offer...but at the full DSL price.

I mentioned in an earlier post that they are telling me DSL is going away and very shortly, everyone will be on UVerse with or without need for bundling.

Not a chance that we ordinary mortals will win.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
Granted, but that iss what it will take I don't in anyway the bundle or higher stand alone cost.... they kill DSL and no equivalent option might (GASP) go to cable HSI despite it horrid storm resistance.
--

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
reply to ndt
I found this on Google: »raisedonhoecakes.com/ROH/2012/11···ossible/

- Keep an eye on your bill..

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
After speaking with them on a different issue, I too, am waiting for the other shoe to drop..

inoudo

join:2002-01-19
Marietta, GA
reply to ndt
I got curious about my 3MBps DSL with grandfathered static IP account after reading your post. It turns out that I can finally upgrade to 6MBps, lose my static ip (which I don't need) and get $5 off for 6 months. Not quite as good a deal as your free offer.

If I swap DSL on my 2 telephone lines (two ATT accounts at same address biz & home) I can get 6MBps for $19.99 for 12 months. That's half price of 3MBps for a whole year!

BTW, can anyone tell me the chances of 6MBps operating on a line that has the following stats (I only have a Westell 2200 to obtain line stats- NO MAX SYNCH info available)

SN 20 db
Atten 43.5 db
DSL Rate 384kbits/s , 3552kbits/s

I get reliably 2.8 MBps on speed tests. The reliable part is why I haven't gone comcast.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by inoudo:

BTW, can anyone tell me the chances of 6MBps operating on a line that has the following stats (I only have a Westell 2200 to obtain line stats- NO MAX SYNCH info available)

SN 20 db
Atten 43.5 db
DSL Rate 384kbits/s , 3552kbits/s

I get reliably 2.8 MBps on speed tests. The reliable part is why I haven't gone comcast.

You are at the max sync rate for the 3mbps service using a standard ANSI ADSL connection, and your current SN margin might allow you to sync at a 6mbps rate if your account is changed to allow it (you won't really know until you try it).

I think the biggest problem might be with the older Westel 2200 since I don't think it will be able to use ADSL2(+). If you are physically connected to a ADSL2(+) capable DSLAM, a newer modem that can take advantage of ADSL2(+) would give you a better chance of getting a reliable 6mbps sync rate. Perhaps opening a thread in the »AT&T Direct forum and supplying your account information might let you know if your DSLAM is ADSL2(+) capable.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

ndt

Picayune, MS
reply to AMDUSER
said by AMDUSER:

I found this on Google: »raisedonhoecakes.com/ROH/2012/11···ossible/

- Keep an eye on your bill..

I will.I sure haven't noticed any increase in speed.Thanks.

inoudo

join:2002-01-19
Marietta, GA
reply to NetFixer
Thanks NetFixer.

"I think the biggest problem might be with the older Westel 2200..."

Actually the Westell is my newer modem since I'm running my original Alactel Speedtouch Home in bridged mode with a Linksys WRT54GS for home networking all of the time. The Westell is backup for support (BS/ATT used to support it, Don't know nowadays since I haven't had any problems in years).

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by inoudo:

Thanks NetFixer.

"I think the biggest problem might be with the older Westel 2200..."

Actually the Westell is my newer modem since I'm running my original Alactel Speedtouch Home in bridged mode with a Linksys WRT54GS for home networking all of the time. The Westell is backup for support (BS/ATT used to support it, Don't know nowadays since I haven't had any problems in years).

You can't really beat the reliability of the old Alcatel STH modems for standard ANSI ADSL service. I still have one that worked perfectly until I was forced to retire it when AT&T/BellSouth changed their PPPoE handshaking several years ago and made it incompatible with the router I was using at the time.

The reason I suggested a newer ADSL2(+) modem is because you appear to be at the borderline for being able to get a good reliable sync for 6 mbps service using standard ANSI ADSL. If your DSLAM supports ADSL2(+), the extended reach of that technology would improve your chances of a successful 6 mbps connection.
--

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
reply to inoudo
The 6 Meg is doable at with that line attenuation and regular G.DMT [DSL]... someone I know has it, and their downstream line attenuation is at about 47 or so. Their service was not dropping out, although it was on interleave.

nctomg

join:2008-11-16
reply to ndt
I also received this email bumping me up to the highest speed. I was already paying for the highest speed. But did get a slight increase to almost 6Mb down (from about 5Mb) but still only .4Mb up. I am curious what I was paying for and why they think they bumped me to a better plan for 12months? Any way I can get the .4Mb up speed to 1Mb or better?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by nctomg:

Any way I can get the .4Mb up speed to 1Mb or better?

1. Change ISP to one that has better upstream speeds?
2. Wait until AT&T installs a VRAD that feeds your residence?
--

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
reply to nctomg
On a good day, I can squeeze .43 up and anywhere from 5 5 to 5 7 down.

DaveinNC

join:2010-11-03
Charlotte, NC
reply to ndt
I received this e-mail earlier in the month. I subscribe to the "DSL Lite" package, the slowest, cheapest tier, nominally 0.75 mbps. My measured download speed has been running about 0.67 mbps.

A couple of days ago my measured download speed jumped to 1.32 mbps -- just about the "twice the speed" they quoted.

Guess I'll have to wait a year for the other shoe to drop, and learn what the new price will be for this.

ndt

Picayune, MS
I have the same package.I think it's the only one they made this offer to.

Mine is now 1.25 down and 0.31 up.Guess I'll get used to it and in a year have to make a decision,that is,if we have one to make.