spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fataldarknes

@telus.net

[AB] Wireless speeds suddenly dip

Hello, recently (as in the last 2 days) I have noticed a significant dip in my wireless network speeds. Before this I was getting around 5.71 mbps and now today I am getting a steady 0.63 mbps. If I hook my laptop up to an ethernet cable I get my 5.71 speeds again. Nothing has changed, nothing including:
-No new devices added
-No new location
-No internal settings changed
-No router changed
-No ISP changes
-No other changes

In other words there is no difference between today and two days ago and yet I have a near halt in my wireless speeds. I have done the following to correct this:
-Restarted router
-Restarted laptop
-Shut down all other devices on the internet
-Contacted my ISP and answered a boatload of useless questions and repeated these answers in many different ways to them

Here is more information that may be of use:
Wireless Card - Killer Wireless-N 1202
Router - Siemens Gigaset SE567
ISP - TELUS

PS. Thank you for any solutions towards this problem and I apologize for the amount of sarcasm in this post but I am really frustrated with TELUS at the moment

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by fataldarknes :

PS. Thank you for any solutions towards this problem and I apologize for the amount of sarcasm in this post but I am really frustrated with TELUS at the moment

Sounds like it's an environment problem (eg. your house, or someone around you) as opposed to an issue with TELUS -- don't know why you're getting angry at TELUS. You proved that it's most likely your environment by the wired vs. unwired test.

You could try asking TELUS to get you an Actiontec V1000H to replace your current modem, which is end of life. This may improve your situation as the newer all-in-one-router has better antennas.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

fataldarknes

@telus.net
I am upset at TELUS because the technician they gave me seemed almost robotic and like he didn't know much about networking at all. And as far as environment goes there could be a new network in town running on the same channel, I never checked that. If I change the broadcasting channel on my network will I have to change anything on the wireless devices that are connected?

klackkker

@telus.net
reply to fataldarknes
google a program called
inSSIDer
from metageek.

Its free and allows you to scan for other networks that may be stomping all over your chosen channel.

change your routers channel(1-11 , but 9 is subject to the microwave ovens interference)and your wireless devices that connect will automatically use that channel

The gigaset(adsl) is a piece o crap and is being replaced by the actiontec(adsl/vdsl) which has telus firmware(crappy firmware for us people who need to be able to do things without issues). Try to get a speedtouch(adsl) as it is just a modem without built in router crap.
Telus modem page. Click on the page for the modem units. Click if your modem is not shown above
»www3.telus.net/chatsupport/#

AnonTechEDM

@telus.net
reply to fataldarknes
said by fataldarknes :

I am upset at TELUS because the technician they gave me seemed almost robotic and like he didn't know much about networking at all. And as far as environment goes there could be a new network in town running on the same channel, I never checked that. If I change the broadcasting channel on my network will I have to change anything on the wireless devices that are connected?

if you change the wireless channel you will not have to reconfigure anything on the client. there is some free software available that will scan all the wifi around you and show you what other networks channels are and their signal strength in relation to you which will help in determining what channel you should be on. A good one is inSSIDer. TELUS is not responsible for wifi signal, all we can troubleshoot is the connection up to the modem, basic networking between the modem/gateway is really all that is supported. Wifi being on a highly saturated 2.4Ghz band is something that can not be guaranteed due to the high level of interference causing sources such as 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, microwaves, other wifi routers, wireless security and camera systems, wireless video transceivers, etc. This unfortunately is your problem not a TELUS problem. With that said usually a channel change can fix the issue, the problem with that being if the source of interference is using an automatic channel selection then you could continue to have issues intermittently. You could see if yours has an automatic channel selection as well so the router can help decide the best channel available. Good Luck!

EricG

join:2010-01-12
Procter, BC
reply to fataldarknes
There are free apps for Android that give you a graph of signal strength over all channels. Windows must have some too.

The 2.4Ghz band is shared with Bluetooth and wireless mice/keyboards.
Expand your moderator at work

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to EricG

Re: [AB] Wireless speeds suddenly dip

wifi analyzer on android... strongly recommended

Teletech1663

join:2012-12-05
Edmonton, AB
reply to fataldarknes
The modem at least the wifi portion could have died since two days ago. Anything that emits RF radiation could be messing with the 2.4 GHz channel on your modem. I would get rid of that modem call and ask to have a new one sent out or call a TELUS store and ask if they will give you a replacement. If the new one is still giving you issues it's not a TELUS issue and tech's don't have spectrum analyzers so all they can do is unplug anything that emits RF.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to JammerMan79
said by JammerMan79:

wifi analyzer on android... strongly recommended

That is a very good recommendation. I've used that and it works very nicely.

fataldarknes

@telus.net
Thanks to everyone, my problem was fixed and your suggestions worked. Give yourselves a pat on the back.