uniqs
share rss forum feed

kpossible
Premium
join:2003-09-11
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

WOW Bandwidth Speed Test Sites Question

Could someone explain to me why testing bandwidth using different WOW speed test sites, for example using the Cleveland site and the Columbus site, would yield vastly different results? Running one after the other, the download can differ 20 to 25 mbps. We're less than 150 miles apart. Shouldn't that render a negligible difference between sites, if any at all?

Thanks in advance!
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

Not sure if this is how they set it up or not but it may be an explanation. The reason to use wows vs another is that wows is completely on their internal network. So if you get good on wows and bad elsewhere it stands to reason the issue is outside wows network. That being said the only real reason to have them separated by region could be because it uses the outside network to reach other regions. So in Cleveland to Cleveland speed test is isolated to only wows network but to another region it leaves wows network and comes back to it.

Just a possible explanation that makes a little sense, not sure though.
However as long as the server you are testing with has the bandwidth you should get the same speed all across the country with only ping increasing.

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to kpossible

said by kpossible:

Could someone explain to me why testing bandwidth using different WOW speed test sites, for example using the Cleveland site and the Columbus site, would yield vastly different results? Running one after the other, the download can differ 20 to 25 mbps. We're less than 150 miles apart. Shouldn't that render a negligible difference between sites, if any at all?

Thanks in advance!

I just tested with the 4 WOW sites I know of, Troy, Columbus, Cleveland and Naperville and they all tested pretty much the same and usually they do. Usually the speed you would get depends on the size of the pipes along the way more then the server. At Chrysler we have dual Gig+ Internet connections via Verizon and ATT but my speed tests there are usually slower than at home because of internal network constraints. Then the farther away you get the more hops (routers to go through) and the more complex the path gets so usually slower. A pipe along the path could be overloaded, a router at capacity, etc.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to kpossible

I would guess you're seeing differences in WOW's distribution AND have a lot of bandwidth to start. My 16/2 sees them all pretty much the same.

For some infrastucture reason, Naperville always is the best here, but not by much, even though I'm physically closer to Troy. Such a difference may likely be amplified, like you're seeing, if I had your screaming service.

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Well, thanks for the complement on my bandwidth. During the day, I must say that I works well 95% of the time. At night, and tonight is no exception, my bandwidth looks closer to yours I'm getting 19 mbps down. It'll go on like that for a 4-5 hour block. My upload is nearly never far off of 5 though, so that's good.
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Click for full size
See what I mean? I just took that and could do it all evening long and it never goes up. Ugh.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Duh... I was reading the *difference* was 20 to 25 mbps. Like 80 vs. 60 mbps. I don't even know how high WOW has.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to kpossible

Since it's been a while and my internet is quiet...

From Royal Oak, MI
15.75 / 2.14 Troy »speed.try.wideopenwest.com/
15.75 / 2.14 Naperville »speed.nap.wideopenwest.com/
15.75 / 2.14 Cleveland »speed.clv.wideopenwest.com/
15.76 / 2.16 Columbus »speed.col.wideopenwest.com/

LOL! Not what I expected. Not only are they very close but Columbus is king.

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

That's amazing!! You're doing well. I hope that someday... soon... I start to receive what I've been paying for in my package. It would be nice.
--

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have the 30/3 service and I get that pretty much all the time from the 4 WOW speed test servers.

Download Speed: 30.784 Mbps (30784 kb/sec transfer rate) COL
Upload Speed: 3.404 Mbps (3404 kb/sec transfer rate)
Monday, December 03, 2012 17:58:40

Download Speed: 30.787 Mbps (30787 kb/sec transfer rate) NAP
Upload Speed: 3.423 Mbps (3423 kb/sec transfer rate)

Troy is my local one which I did not test. If you do not usually get what you pay for you should complain some more. For me, WOW's speed has been pretty solid.

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Sssh... don't use the "c" (complaining) word in association with my name... I'm starting to get a rep

Seriously, though, I don't have much hope that it will be resolved. I was thinking of changing my service to 15 or 30. Normally, I would think that something like that wouldn't help, but a friend in my immediate area has 15 and gets just that, 15 all night long. So, I probably really don't need the 50, just spoiled by it. Maybe back to basics is the way to go.

It's just so weird with the different WOW bandwidth sites though (for me). At the very start of the evening, when things are just beginning to go downhill, I will maybe get 42 down from Cleveland, 35 from Columbus, and 48 from Nap. Then they will all "switch around" for awhile before all going into the teens to or twenties. I've read the above explanations (thank you to everyone, BTW) but I must have brain-drain, or am blinded by my frustration to the point of just not getting it.
--