Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1

1 recommendation

iFixit teardown of the new iMac.

PITA to take apart...

Here are the highlights of the teardown:

-Nothing about the internals of the new Mac resemble last year’s model.
-Apple has swapped out the 3.5“ desktop hard drive for a 2.5” HGST laptop hard drive, freeing up valuable space.
-The hard drive has a rubbery housing at its edges, which is a new design meant to dampen the vibrations from the hard drive in the closely packed quarters of the iMac.
-There are no longer multiple small fans. Instead, Apple is using a single centralized fan.
-Apple’s new iMac has two microphones to improve sound quality when using FaceTime.
-The AirPort card uses a Broadcom BCM4331 single-chip WLAN solution and three Wi-Fi antennas.

The new iMac, with its ultra slim bezel proved to be a disappointment to the iFixit team, because both the glass and the LCD are glued to the iMac frame with strong adhesive, which negatively impacts repairability.

The late 2012 iMac 21.5" – code-named EMC 2544 – is an exercise in disappointment for us. We were quite worried when we saw that super-thin bezel during Apple’s keynote, and unfortunately we were correct: the glass and LCD are now glued to the iMac’s frame with incredibly strong adhesive. Gone are the lovely magnets that held the glass in place in iMacs of yesteryear.

While the RAM, hard drive, and CPU can be replaced, the entire logic board must be removed to do so, which led the iFixit team to give the 21" iMac a repairability score of 3 out of 10, down from 7 out of 10 for last year’s model.

»www.macrumors.com/2012/12/01/tea···ophones/

»www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Int···/11936/1

jmycknshk
...bring your green hat

join:2004-07-02
West Chester, PA
assuming the 27" is the same depth, i'd love to see them tear down a 3 TB model to find out if it's 3 2.5" drives in RAID0.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to mromero
whoops, dp

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mromero
While I'm sure the new iMac looks awesome, I really dislike this decreased ability to take it apart. I understand the concern for super thin in a portable device, but I don't know too many people previously complaining that the iMac was just too darned thick.
Oh well, I'm currently more likely to purchase a mini or a MBP anyway so it's not like they're losing me as a customer
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mromero
I'm going to the Apple Store later today to look at the 21" and hoping to see the 27" at least on display. I am going to order the 27" to replace my 2006 MP but really want to see the screen quality first.

For the 21" it best be ordered the way you want it including RAM. There isn't a RAM door on it like there is on the 27".

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Cody
I agree, particularly for the HDD, being moderately serviceable is a plus. I also agree the thinness of the iMac is pretty pointless other than for the eye candy.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to mromero
I just hope the 27incher still has VESA mount options. Rumor on the net is that it might be removed which will make me extremely angry.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to mromero
Im hoping my local Apple Store has the new imacs. Im going to check tomorrow.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

RiseAbove
Premium
said by Jackarino:

Im hoping my local Apple Store has the new imacs. Im going to check tomorrow.

they will only have the 21 not the 27. No one has the 27 yet.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
I was there yesterday and the 21" was out but the 27 wasn't yet. But the 21 is quite the machine. Pulled the trigger on a 3.4GHz 27" when I got home.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to mromero
I find it apalling that they glue the freakin screen on... They just want to make it less and less serviceable...

And the base iMac has a bloody 2.5" 5400rpm laptop drive... Thats pathetic. Dont get me started on the no user upgradeable ram slot either...

But yeah, it has to be 5mm thin at the edges you know... Cuz that's important...
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Anyone adept enough to work on the old iMac is adept enough to heat-gun the screen off the frame. And when it is apart you can put RAM in it. I haven't found the need to be swapping out RAM frequently. I've done drives more often than I've needed access to the RAM slots. Not having a RAM door wouldn't bother me much since I'd be in there for an HDD to SSD swap anyway.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Please. the glued screen is a major pisser and most will not want to bother with it... Especially that you have to peel off and re-apply new adhesive strip each time... I've replaced parts in the iMacs with the magentically held screen, and there were times where I had to go back because something dislodged during the re-assembly, or to clean a spot on the screen...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Please, just fire up a hair dryer and yeah, some people are REALLY lazy. If you have it in you to pull apart the old iMac you can use a hair dryer. And everyone does a test fit to make sure everything is working before final reassembly including any lint on the screen.

Meanwhile how many times does someone really need to pull apart an iMac? Anyone who has plans on pulling it apart all the time shouldn't have an iMac in the first place...any iMac, new or old.

RiseAbove
Premium
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Please. the glued screen is a major pisser and most will not want to bother with it... Especially that you have to peel off and re-apply new adhesive strip each time... I've replaced parts in the iMacs with the magentically held screen, and there were times where I had to go back because something dislodged during the re-assembly, or to clean a spot on the screen...

the base model comes with 8GB of ram, your average user, who is 80-90% of the people who will buy the low end models will never need more than that nor will they care. I personally havent seen many computers ship with that much ram so at least Apple didn't screw them more by putting in a really small amount of ram.

Plus as someone using the latest macbook air with only 8gb of ram on the ivy bridge chipset the computer is quick. Especially if they spend a few bucks more and get the fusion drive.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by RiseAbove:

the base model comes with 8GB of ram, your average user, who is 80-90% of the people who will buy the low end models will never need more than that nor will they care.

I'll give you that much, that they didn't skimp out, which is somewhat unorthodox, because Apple historically has always put in a piddly amount of ram compared to the cost of the machine... Like 3GB ram in a base $2500 Mac Pro just prior to the most recent update in 2012... LOL...

A bigger pisser is the hard drive though... 2.5" 5400rpm laptop drive... going backwards.

Apple always did fiddle with the laptop/desktop component mix in the iMacs... cpu's, graphics, now drives...

Its a shame they never did release that mythical "headless Mac" that would offer desktop level performance without the cost of the server-based architecture of the Mac Pro.

I think it would have been a very good success. But oh well, that will never happen now.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to mromero
Click for full size
Assembled in the US of A
The most interesting point I saw was that iFixit claims there is a note on the unit that says it was ASSEMBLED in USA, not just designed in California. Where would they be assembling these, back to Elk Grove?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Yeah that is interesting...

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to RiseAbove
Thx

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to mromero
I find the switch to a laptop drive interesting. As generally they do not perform as well as a full sized desktop drive. unless talking SSDs which are always faster.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
The difference is likely negligible in the real world. A 5400RPM drive sucks in any size. Meanwhile size and heat would and should be much improved. I'm assuming the 27" is still full size given the 3TB capacity. I can't imagine they're throwing in a gaggle of 2.5"ers.