share rss forum feed

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to HarryH3

Re: Testing HDD's in RAID 1?

Thanks for the output -- both WD Black drives look fine, barring the CRC errors, so my previous analysis stands true.

The USB-SATA bridge/chip used in the WD enclosure probably just allows SMART passthrough, or it's a model of chip smartmontools has support for. Dunno -- not really a focus of mine right now.

Wish I had an explanation for what happened to your array that would cause filesystem issues, but the best guess I have is that the system might have lost power at some point (despite NTFS being journalled it can still have issues of this sort), possibly one of the drives fell off the bus and made things quite angry, or maybe you got bit by some RST driver bug. Lots of possibilities, with no hard confirmation.

All I can tell you is that your WD Black drives, on a sector level, look perfectly healthy. No need to replace either of them, which I think is ultimately what matters here.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Thanks koitsu! BTW, do you ever sleep?

The system is on a UPS and write caching is disabled, just in case. High performance isn't an issue, but high availability is, so I try to keep it running all the time.

I'll keep an eye on things and see if perhaps upgrading to 11.2 of RST makes any difference. (Reading through the RST forums on Intel's site really makes it seem like a buggy POS).