share rss forum feed

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to dsa

Re: Baseboard heater wiring questions

Can you post the make and model # of the heaters and of the thermostat?

Also, are there any thermostats on the baseboard heaters themselves?
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

dsa

@bell.ca
The baseboards model are Dimplex LC4015W31 , Thermostat is RTH2310B.

There is no thermostats on the heaters.

thanks

Dsa

@bell.ca
reply to Cho Baka
The model of the baseboards heater are LC4015W31 and the thermostat is RTH2310B.

There is no thermostats on the baseboard.

thank you

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
Can you post the maker names to go with those Model Numbers?

Is this the heater?
Dimplex Linear Convector LC series:
downloaddimplexlcinstr.pdf 322712 bytes

Is there any chance that the 2 heaters you have were inadvertently installed in series?

Do you have NO heat, or just very little heat?
Do you have a clamp-on ammeter you can use to measure current flow?

dsa

@bell.ca
Sorry , i posted twice and the original message didn't show .

It's a dimplex.

thank you

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Dsa
said by Dsa :

The model of the baseboards heater are LC4015W31 and the thermostat is RTH2310B.

said by "Honeywell RTH2310B" :

Weekday/Weekend Programming - One program for the weekdays and a separate program for the weekends with 4 program periods per day
Energy Savings - Program to save up to 33 percent on annual heating and cooling costs (if used as directed, savings may vary depending on geographic region and usage)
Easy to Use - Basic operation keeps programming simple.
Backlit Display - Easy to read even in dimly lit rooms and hallways.
Early Start Function - Adjusts the pre-heating/cooling of your home so you are comfortable at your programmed times.
Filter Change Reminder
Works with heating and cooling systems
Does not work with heat pump systems and electric baseboard heat (120-240V)
1-Year Warranty

Unless there is also a 24V transformer and a relay/contactor involved, this thermostat is not suitable for your application.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

dsa

@bell.ca
reply to Cho Baka
Yes it's that brand , no they are not there is 2 wire going to each baseboards , i only have a voltage tester model equus 4320a.

thanks

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to dsa
Dsa, the thermostat you are using won't work on baseboards. The end

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit
reply to dsa
Do your baseboard heaters have the low-voltage relay installed ?

It would be an optional part with Dimplex part numbers BLLVCxx or BLLVD.

This relay makes your DImplex baseboard heaters compatible with the Honeywell Thermostat but in that case your wiring would be different (and you still need a 24V power source, perhaps from an air conditioning system). The 240V line voltage should under no circumstances go to this particular thermostat!

Hopefully the instructions that come with the relay are better then those for the baseboard heaters (which could be much clearer).

Edit: ideally you should use a line voltage thermostat for your baseboard heaters. Are you using this thermostat just for the heaters or also to control a central air conditioning system ? If the thermostat is used to control both heating and cooling then using the low voltage relays from Dimplex is the way to go.
--

dsa

@bell.ca
reply to dsa
Before it used to be an old thermostats like this one

»www.homedepot.ca/product/honeywe···g/903031

and the baseboard where 240V and there was no issues , then i changed for a thermostat like this RTH2310B 2 years ago and it was working well.

I then decided 2 months ago to replace them by dimplex 2 with the same wattage 1000w but 2 weeks ago they started to have this issue.

So now i though it was the baseboard so i went to change them and at the same time take 1500w which would cover the 300 square feet that i have , the issues still persist so i was wondering why suddenly what would be the problem.

Thanks

dsa

@bell.ca
It only control only the baseboard no ac on that.

As said before i had to use something similar due to the previous thermostat being a low voltage , i just wanted to be able to have different temperature at different time so that's why i changed the old one.

thanks

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dsa
said by dsa :

There's a relay somewhere.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by SparkChaser:

said by dsa :

There's a relay somewhere.

Hopefully!

Keep in mind that all dsa said is that it was like the one he linked to (the link points to a low-voltage thermostat). Honeywell also makes line-voltage thermostats and in some cases they do look similar on the outside.

At this point a picture of the wiring at the thermostat (and ideally also at the baseboard heaters) would be really helpful because there is just too much left to guessing.

There may be a relay/contactor somewhere that was sized according to the load of the original baseboard heaters and whose contacts are now overloaded.
--

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
I'm 99.99% sure that the round one never was a line stat. In fact I was using the round one for years on my electric heat with a relay. It used to be a mercury switch on a bi-metal spiral. Replaced last year.

My house is a T-stat museum. I have 6 different kinds. in 8 rooms.

dsa

@bell.ca
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are the pictures , the thermostat was connected the same way the old was.

dsa

@bell.ca
I think also there is a relay since how would that wire would connect to the 240 V

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to dsa
said by dsa :

Here are the pictures , the thermostat was connected the same way the old was.

This pretty much confirms that there is a relay/contactor somewhere with the associated 24V transformer to power it.

Do you see any junction boxes anywhere on the walls of the room? Is there a basement or crawl space beneath this room? Attic above? Look in all these places. If possible, try the trace to wires back. Also if you have a utility room look in there too, as well as the area around your breaker panel.

Hopefully it is not hidden in an inaccessible junction box somewhere inside the wall.