uniqs
share rss forum feed

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Mangix

Re: New U-Verse HSI install jitter issues

said by Mangix:

you say you're on the 6/1 plan but from the graph, that doesn't look like it.

try getting your modem swapped for a 3600HG-V. check this post for more info: »Re: Slow internet U-verse 12mbit

The OP is really on the 6/1 speed profile. The UV Realtime tool is reporting the service profile and the capacity of the OP's line not their actual HSI service offering.

For the OP, U-verse VDSL is only provisioned as interleaved which adds to your line's latency vs what you had with your previous DSL.

Switching to a 3600 modem will have no impact.

Dave

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits
The 3600 is actually more failure prone than the 3800/3801. Wierd, I don't know how people are having such high pings on U-verse. On my VDSL2 line with a triple play bundle I had 25ms latency to NY from CT.

I don't have U-verse internet anymore but this is what I had:

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
Click for full size
Click for full size
For reference here are my stats/bitloading

We are about 250 feet from the VRAD if I follow the road where the line comes.

profane

join:2010-10-10
reply to dave006
said by dave006 See Profile
The OP is really on the 6/1 speed profile. The UV Realtime tool is reporting the service profile and the capacity of the OP's line not their actual HSI service offering.

For the OP, U-verse VDSL is only provisioned as interleaved which adds to your line's latency vs what you had with your previous DSL.

Switching to a 3600 modem will have no impact.

Dave [/quote :

How would I go about getting their ADSL2+ service then? I'm considering switching to Brighthouse but I don't wanna go through the hassle if there's still something I can do.

I just don't understand how this "upgrade" as they call it, is actually worse than old 90's DSL tech which worked flawlessly. I don't even want their TV or any other service for that matter, why push this crap upon me?

They also did it in a very unprofessional manner, turning my old DSL service off with no e-mail, letter, phone call...nothing, then try to charge me for 2 accounts which took weeks to sort out.

Darknessfall
Premium
Once you go VDSL you cannot go back . I still don't know why your pings are so high.

profane

said by Darknessfall:

Once you go VDSL you cannot go back . I still don't know why your pings are so high.

Me neither. I tried changing settings according to a few recommendations and it never helped.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I still don't know why your pings are so high.

This is not abnormal for Uverse at all. Actually very typical.

Darknessfall
Premium
@DataRiker
Look at my pings above. I'm on VDSL2 with only 25ms from CT to NY. Maybe I was just lucky O_o?

DataRiker
Premium
said by Darknessfall:

@DataRiker
Look at my pings above. I'm on VDSL2 with only 25ms from CT to NY. Maybe I was just lucky O_o?

Very lucky.

Darknessfall
Premium
That's also on wireless with 3.5 bars :P.

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to Darknessfall
my experience with my 3600HG-V and my friend's 3800HG-V and 3801HG-V is different. He always has issues whereas I don't. We live pretty close to each other as well.

My guess is that the OP's issues are due to the gateway. I could be wrong but my experience suggests otherwise.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to DataRiker
Guess I was "lucky" too.

...or it could be the fact that the technology is in fact capable of lower pings. People just complain about the interleaving because it hurts their e-penis.

(Though U-verse doesn't always have the best routing, which can contribute to higher latency as well, so I guess I am "lucky" in that aspect.)

profane

Yea...you are lucky. Have a look at this without doing this

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

It could be bad routing from your area. This is what I got. Have you done a trace route?

DataRiker
Premium
40 to 50 ms is very typical of uverse. I've put in hundreds and I've actually never seen a sub 30 ms ping. So take from that what u will.

They use different fiber cards in some areas so that would probably explain some of the discrepancy.

profane

reply to Nuckfuts
said by Nuckfuts:

It could be bad routing from your area. This is what I got. Have you done a trace route?

Yes, it's hit or miss with those. Sometimes they're decent, sometimes they're really craphouse. There's even been a couple times where it would time out on the RG.