Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to Takamurasan

Re: What's the best SIP VOIP phone?

Please pardon my ignorance but are you people talking about phones which are not android phones that use SIP accounts?

The reason that I ask is that when I use my Anveo SIP account on my Samsung Galaxy SII to make calls, I find that the voice quality & reception is really bad.

Do the SIP phones that you are talking about provide a better quality experience?

Thanks,
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
said by RobThompson:

Do the SIP phones that you are talking about provide a better quality experience?

Yes. SIP hard phones like those from Polycom, snom, Gigaset, Grandstream, Yealink et al are fundamentally different from a soft phone client running on a smart phone.

Since they are not reliant upon wifi or 3G/4G networks that can be much more reliable that any kind of soft phone on a smart phone.

I have a Galaxy Nexus running Bria Android edition & Skype. Also a Nexus 7 table running Bria for Android Tablet Edition and Skype. My experience with these combinations has been a mixed bag. It can be good. It can just as easily be dreadful. It's no so much about the software, wireless IP networks are just like that.

In marked contrast I have Polycom VVX series phones in my home office and Gigaset SIP/DECT cordless phones in my home. These are absolutely reliable. They work and they sound great.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
said by mgraves1:

said by RobThompson:

In marked contrast I have Polycom VVX series phones in my home office and Gigaset SIP/DECT cordless phones in my home. These are absolutely reliable. They work and they sound great.

Thanks mgraves1.

To use a SIP phone, like the ones you described, do you need a special setup, equipment-wise?

Also, what is the advantage of using such a phone?

Thanks,
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
Just the device itself.

As to the advantages, they work absolutely reliably. And they sound great. They also don't tax you smart phone bettery.

lifespeed

join:2009-09-08
reply to RobThompson
said by RobThompson:

Please pardon my ignorance but are you people talking about phones which are not android phones that use SIP accounts?

The reason that I ask is that when I use my Anveo SIP account on my Samsung Galaxy SII to make calls, I find that the voice quality & reception is really bad.

Thanks,

I have a corded Yealink SIP T-26P. It works great, but who wants to use a corded phone these days? It's life is spent mostly is a loud telephone ringer, alerting my wife and I to pick up our Galaxy Nexus Android phones running Bria over wifi.

I have seen many times on this forum the comment that wifi VoIP phones are not good. I think what this actually means is the persons wifi network is not good. I have had excellent results using VoIP over smartphone wifi for more than three years. Voice quality is excellent, and on G722 calls is nothing short of amazing.

I don't get dropped packets or any other wifi inadequacies unless I go some distance outside the house. Here a SIP DECT phone would probably have superior range. But it is hard to justify buying a $120 phone just so I can walk down the street making a VoIP call. Under all reasonable circumstances, within the house, reception is very good.

All I did to set up a decent wifi network is install an Engenius EAP350 high-power access point in the ceiling in the middle of the house, and implement QoS on my network, both incoming and outgoing. Problem solved. I will also mention I had a standard-power Engenius EAP9550 at the same location before the introduction of the high power version. It worked almost as well, but that extra power is nice.

So don't be afraid of VoIP over wifi. If you already have a smartphone, install Bria and try it out. If you get dropouts, fix up your wifi network. A quality wireless access point costs the same as a SIP DECT phone, but improves ALL your wireless devices. An average size house without tons of metal in the walls should do fine with a centrally located access MIMO access point, especially with high power.
--
Lifespeed