spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo

Anon

Which modem is best for Powerboost?

We have 10 MBPS with PowerBoost that works great. Our promotion with free WiFi modem/router expired and I'm looking to exchange the rented wireless gateway ($9/month) with a standalone modem ($4/month) and use a separate router. I've been told DOCSIS 3.0 modems don't support PowerBoost and I'd experience slower speeds if I upgrade. Is Time Warner still renting DOCSIS 2.0 modems, and if so which one should I look for?

Aside from the eventual upgrade compatibility, is there any reason to pick a DOCSIS 3.0 modem now with our present plan?

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Docsis 3 modems do support Powerboost. I am on Turbo with a Motorola SB6141 and I have Powerboost.

odinb
join:2001-11-26
Frisco, TX

odinb to Vertigo

to Vertigo
Unless you are looking at upgrading your speeds within the next 6 months, a Docsis 2 modem would be more than enough, and it supports Powerboost.

Got mine here:
»www.ebay.com/itm/Motorol ··· cb5a7108

Good luck!

TelecomEng
@rr.com

TelecomEng to Vertigo

Anon

to Vertigo
Do yourself a favor and get the DOCSIS 3 modem now, while you are looking. Yes, you can get a DOCSIS 2 modem and it will work just fine, but getting ahead of the curve with a DOCSIS 3 modem would put you in a position to put off having to get another modem for a pretty long while.

That said, any DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3 compliant modem should handle Powerboost just fine. I'd recommend the Motorola 6141 (if you can find it).
thorin
join:2007-11-08
Kansas City, MO

thorin

In most if not all markets Powerboost is disabled on DOCSIS 3 modems. That being said, the D3 modem would still be a better choice, Motorola SB 6141 or SBG6580.

odinb
join:2001-11-26
Frisco, TX

odinb to Vertigo

to Vertigo
Do the math before you decide, the cost of the docsis 2 modem will be recouped in less than 6 months, and it supports powerboost.

So as I said before, if you are not planning a speed upgrade in the near future, going with a docsis 2 makes the most economic sense.

TelecomEng
@rr.com

TelecomEng to thorin

Anon

to thorin
said by thorin:

In most if not all markets Powerboost is disabled on DOCSIS 3 modems.

Powerboost is enabled in the config file for the speed tier, not the modem. The top tiers, which require a DOCSIS 3 modem, do not have Powerboost enabled, whereas the lower tiers do. Powerboost will work, as long as your tier has that feature, regardless of modem type.