how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

calc1

join:2009-02-19
Rosemead, CA

Disconnects...SB6121 new firmware?

Tried to reply my old thread but it was too old....
»[HSI] Higher power levels

Anyway, I'm now definitely getting disconnects, has been going on for over 2 weeks now.

On advice of all the posters last time around I left everything alone and has been working fine.........until now.

My downstream power levels are still hovering around +12/+13 dB. Won't go any lower and I'm definitely getting disconnected when downloading/streaming.

As of the last post I've noticed my firmware has changed to 1.0.6.6.. I'm not sure if the new firmware is the culprit to all these problems or what....???

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
I have the same firmware dated April 2012, but I'm not having any problems.

However, my power levels are -2 and -1, big difference from yours. I don't know if that's a problem or not. Check in with Charter Direct, they'll be able to help you.

Should have read the older post first, you're apparently trying to avoid a service call, and work out the power problem on your own. Sorry I didn't have any useful info. :/

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to calc1
If possible, swap out modem. If that doesn't work or you don't have an available modem, contact Charter Direct.

»/forum/charterdirect
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to calc1
Probably not the firmware. Usually when there's a firmware problem you see a lot more reports of similar concern.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Unless it's a problem of a slightly smaller nature like the firmware issue Charter created with the 6120's!!

There were a few of us here that had issues with that modem and firmware, but not a Charter wide problem.
--
The Firefox alternative.

desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI
reply to calc1
I have had the same problem; high downstream signal levels that would eventually rise to +12dV until the modem would reset. I tried everything including padding the input 6db; that helped a little bit (but also affected my upstream levels).

Motorola blamed the problem on Charter, Charter blamed the problem on the modem. I suspect it's a case of both since there was a major outage in my area and signal levels are now much more respectable and I stay connected for as long as three weeks. It's nothing like the DOCSIS 2 days where I would never disconnect.

Charter worked the problem quite aggressively sending out some A-List field guys who spent a fair amount of time at my house. But Motorola says the modem wants to see -10dbV to 10dbV (will liberally throw around that is the "specification") and Charter was unable to deliver it until they fixed whatever caused the outage.

I suspect Charter's move to requiring their own modem is in part due to wanting to find a modem that is a lot more forgiving on signal levels.

You're in for a fair amount of finger pointing to get this resolved. I wish I knew what was the cause of that major outage, because it cleaned up a lot of problems.

whoaru99

2 edits
reply to cork1958
As was I affected in the 6120 ordeal.

As I've said countless times, it never was a problem with the modem and the firmware, per se. The problem actually was due to the CMTS that happened to serve you. That's why not everyone was affected. If your serving CMTS was newer/upgraded you didn't have the issue...and that modem and firmware will work fine today, if you still have it.

The modems never were "bricked" in the true sense of the word.

Also, bear in mind that AFAIK Charter does not write firmware for modems. That is done by the modem mfg. That said, Charter may ask for a special version and certainly it is Charter's obligation to test it for compatibility, which was the 6120 issue. Some of Charter's CMTS weren't compatible with the firmware.

whoaru99

reply to desarollo
Your description seems to indicate pretty clearly that what ever was affecting you was due to Charter's system, not the modem.

When you think of Charter working towards requiring their modem, think of the Apple computer model. Which is easier for the company to manage a good experience? The Apple model where pieces, parts, and software are tightly integrated and controlled, or the PC model where we just expect everything, from anyone, from everywhere, forever, to just happily coexist and work together? People like to bash PC but, frankly, given the essentially open platform I'm amazed it works as well as it does. Every different kind of modem on Charter's system isn't too much different than that albeit a smaller scale.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
Thing is that MOST customer owned modems are exact copies of what Charter uses anyhow.

A trip to the local WalMart and you would find the Moto SB 5101 and 6120 along with a couple of other brands that they use themselves. And the overwhelming number of them work perfectly. More often than not it is NOT the modem.

I think the drive to force customers to use Charter owned equipment is so they can "eventually" raise prices because the modem is factored into the service price.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
"I think the drive to force customers to use Charter owned equipment is so they can "eventually" raise prices because the modem is factored into the service price."

Some where along the line you know that's coming!
--
The Firefox alternative.

whoaru99

1 edit
reply to 15444104
Didn't I say it was most likely NOT the modem? Yes...I believe I did.

Anyway, from my perspective, I've never seen Charter issue a Moto modem although perhaps they do (or did) in some markets. They're Ubee or Cisco(?) around here for quite some time. Many, many, years ago I had a RCA modem from Charter...

Regardless of any speculations of nefarious intent, the point is that it's easier to provide a better customer experience with less variables; even if it's just one less.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
In my area Moto is the only brand they distribute to subscribers. It previously was the SB5101, now it is the SB6120.

I have my own SB5101 and it was obviously designed for heavy duty use. Another words they build these things so that the Cable Co could re issue them over and over and over again and have them still function perfectly over being supplied to many different subs.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Same here as far as Charter used to issue only Moto modems.

When Charter screwed up the 6120's, which was my own modem, and I went to pick one of theirs up, it was a Ubee though. Dipstick lady at office gave me a Docsis 2 when I SPECIFICALLY asked for a Docsis 3. This was only just last year and Docsis 3 has been here forever.

As with anything Charter does, it varies by area.
--
The Firefox alternative.

whoaru99

The 6120s have worked for quite some time now. Hopefully you didn't give it away too cheap.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
6120 was brand new. Took it back to BestBuy and got my current Zoom modem, which has worked perfectly and even endured a firmware update from Charter, that fixed the boot time some people were having with that modem. Zoom modem was $10 cheaper even.
--
The Firefox alternative.

ciremg01

join:2012-12-01
Aledo, TX
reply to calc1
I have the same modem. Bought it to replace my SB5120 when I started having intermittent disconnects/packet loss about 4-6 weeks ago. Had 3 techs out and still no improvement. I'm convinced it's an upstream problem, possibly stemming from the Sandy mess, but no one at Charter has confirmed this.

I've been communicating with Charter on their direct forum, but now that that's going away, I think my time with Charter is almost up.

calc1

join:2009-02-19
Rosemead, CA
reply to calc1
Thanks for some of the inputs.... before I go posting in the direct forum is there anything else I can do/check??

I've been logging into the modem page for the past couple of days and I'm seeing power levels from +12 to +14. Very unstable, any type of hi-def youtube streaming and it disconnects.

ciremg01

join:2012-12-01
Aledo, TX
Those levels are really pushing the top of the -15/+15 range. Mine usually stay between +4 and +8. You may just need a tech to check out the lines and get your signal levels in check.

whoaru99

1 edit
reply to calc1
Varying 2dB over the span of a couple days isn't that unusual. That, in and of itself, isn't the problem nor is it particularly indicative of one.

My levels tend to run hot and I very rarely have any issues with my connection. Here are my current levels from just seconds ago.

13.01 - 14.08 - 14.22 - 13.90

If you need help from Charter then get on the phone. If you don't get any help on the first call, call back. If you don't get help then ask for level 2.

I understand that you don't want to have to make multiple calls but if you don't document the history of a problem then why would they keep on it if it looks good at the time they check?