how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada

High Speed 50/Optik 50 FAQs

Just to save people some time calling TELUS, I've put together the following FAQ to answer any questions you may have about the new service.

** the speeds are off the top of my head, I'll update them if they are wrong, but those are what I remember

High Speed 50
Speeds - 45.0 to 50.0Mb/s down, 5.0 to 10.0Mb/s up
- test this on wired, don't call in once you get it stating that you're not getting 50Mb/s on wireless)

Optik 50
Speeds - 25.0 to 50.0Mb/s down, 5.0 to 10.0Mb/s up (fair warning, that's what I recall initially, but seeing on the TELUS site now if I change my service, it just says Up to 50.0Mb/s down
- again, see note above regarding testing this speed
- DSL ONLY depending on your train rate, there's enough overhead to offset watching all streams while using your internet for it to not be adversely affected (eg. I train at ~73Mb/s, if I watch all TV at once [3HD + 1SD] it would leave me 73Mb/s - (3x 6.0) - 3.0 = ~52.0Mb/s, where as before, if you were on Optik 25, you would see speed loss once you invoked a 2nd HD or SD stream (33.304Mb/s - 25.0Mb/s = 8.3Mb/s = less than 2 streams, so the 25.0-50.0 range is pretty generous, but again, that depends on what you train at

Cost - $75.00/month, less any bundle discounts you receive.
Bandwidth Cap (either plan) - 500.0GB/month
As of Feb 1, 2013, this will change to 250.0GB/month.
(Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not happy about this either, however, TELUS may change their minds. In all honesty, I thought for HS/Optik 50 that we would get 1.0TB of bandwidth. Woe is me...

Requirements

If you're on ETTS or GPON, stop, advance to go, collect $200, and be happy that you qualify automatically for the new service. Call and book it.

If you're on copper (ie. DSL) things are a bit trickier.

TELUS will prioritize service on a single line. If that single line can sustain the necessary train rates (~52-55Mb/s down, ~10-12Mb/s up) then see the Single DSL Line section. If not, then jump to the loop bonding section.

Single DSL Line
- officially, you will require an Actiontec V1000H or V2000H (bonding only,) however, I get Optik 50 working fine on my ALU + Netgear setup. If you don't have one of these gateways, one will be provided to you during install.
- for those who can sustain those speeds on the one line, TELUS will book a field tech, however, it may just require a software order (ie. flip a switch.) However, if it's not a software order, a tech will come to your place if you require an Actiontec, or a VDSL POTS splitter (if you were on an ADSL profile prior to the upgrade.)
- if you call in for this and TELUS says no, ask what the maximum 17a profile speed is. This must be at least the numbers listed above.

Loop Bonding
- if your one line (clearance) can not sustain the train rates required above, if you have a second clearance to your place, we may be able to bond your lines to achieve that.
- generally, you'll only have a second clearance to your place if you live in a house. Most condos and apartment buildings don't have a physical second line going in. If you're not in a house, you most likely won't be able to get bonding, short of getting another line run to your unit/suite.
- as of Dec 1, 2012, loop bonding is only available in Edmonton, Alberta or Prince George, British Columbia. Sorry for those who don't live in either city, however, this rollout will change.
- loop bonding doesn't guarantee HS/Optik 50, but will guarantee HS/Optik 25 (3HD/1SD/25,) those on 2HD/1SD/15 or 1HD/2SD/15 rejoice.
- loop bonding for HS 25 requires minimum ~25-27Mb/s down and ~2.5-3.0Mb/s up (train rate.)
- loop bonding for Optik 25 requires minumum ~33Mb/s down and 2.5-3.0Mb/s up (train rate.)
- loop bonding requires a technician visit and you can only use an Actiontec V2000H.
- if you call in for this and TELUS says no, ask what the maximum 8b profile speed is (again, only if you're in Edmonton or Prince George. If you're not and you call in for bonding, I will be a sad red panda.) The max 8b profile speed will dictate if you can get HS/Optik 25 or 50.

That's all I think we need for now. I'll add more to this, and update this thread once Loop Bonding is out in more communities, in addition to adding new info and fixing errata.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

e_phils

join:2001-04-19
Canada

said by anhloc:

Cost - $75.00/month, less any bundle discounts you receive.
Bandwidth Cap (either plan) - 500.0GB/month
As of Feb 1, 2013, this will change to 250.0GB/month.

Is Telus going to start charging for BW over the limit? Or is that not decided yet?

kylez

join:2009-03-26
reply to anhloc

Thanks for the info!

Does the bandwidth decrease include HS25 as well?

GhostM

@telus.net

I am interested in this service but I have no idea how I will even know if its available in my area. I love telus but this is what drives me nuts about them, i have to be prepared to battle to get an informed answered.

Last year when turbo 25 was available it took about 4 calls of arguing before getting someone who finally said, yes you can get turbo 25.

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to anhloc

There are still a couple of DSL options if they do start enforcing the monthly cap. One is a business line: for $85 a month you get unlimited usage, and the above speeds.
TekSavvy also has an unlimited 25/2 package in AB.

Speaking of which, my "max" line speed in the upstream direction (on the 50/10 package) is well in the 45000 kbps+ range. Is it going to be relatively easy to add more upload speed in the future?
Expand your moderator at work

Onetwo

join:2009-04-14
Medicine Hat, AB
reply to e_phils

Re: High Speed 50/Optik 50 FAQs

This is what were all wondering, since he works for telus he might know... I hope he can respond soon.

matt123

@telus.net
reply to anhloc

I hope they decide to at least keep optik/high speed 50 at 500gb per month. 250gb is fine for 25mbps but not enough for 50mbps.

RedRov

@telus.net
reply to anhloc

If Telus cuts the cap to 250gigs per month on the HS50/Optik 50 plan, I will expect them to cut the price to $37.35 per month.

I have no problems dropping all Telus services if they do so choose to cut the bandwidth cap down to 1/2 of current.

I also have no problems of filing a CRTC and Industry Canada complaint against Telus if they so choose to cut the cap by 1/2.

I signed up for the Optik 50 service based on the allowable bandwidth cap.

And yes I am rambling.

Netflix and similar services suck up alot of bandwidth per month when you have 4 people in the same household using the same internet connection

anhloc

Canada
reply to anhloc

This is totally dependent on TELUS enforcing the cap.

I'm not in Governance so I don't get to make those decisions, however, I can say again personally that the halving was a bit drastic. Mind you come February, this may change.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Onetwo

Medicine Hat, AB
reply to anhloc

Thanks when you say dependent on telus enforcing the cap, does that mean basically you are unaware if it will be enforced or not?

Bauwoo

join:2003-12-07

The cap lowered and UNCONFIRMED as of this moment if it will be enforced. To date Telus has never enforced caps.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by Bauwoo:

The cap lowered and UNCONFIRMED as of this moment if it will be enforced. To date Telus has never enforced caps.

There was that short stint around '06 during the Telus Strike They dropped it pretty quick, pretty much when they started to roll out adsl2 tech.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to anhloc

Will Optik 50 support using your own router in any form?

anhloc

Canada

Read my post (first one.) My ALU + Netgear works fine with Optik 50.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4

I read that but is there any other way to use your own router. I am thinking of switching to Telus and it's hard to obtain a ALU modem.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to anhloc

one note to the FAQ...
Customer service reps (the ones who can actually do orders) will no have any idea what you're talking about when it comes to 17a or 8b profiles. The qualification system they use does not use those terms.
The tech support teams may know that information however customer service will not be able to override regardless.
--

Nas1

join:2011-10-05
Camrose, AB

Your absolutely right Jammer, I called in asking what my attainable rate on 17a was and all I heard was crickets lol. I was then transferred to tech support and he was confused as well. He did inquire with someone in the know however and concluded that I could only get ~ 31 Mbps on the profile. This surprised me a little since I'm around 600 m from the Dslam, I however don't know my loop length. Either way I'm setting my hopes on bonding to get me there.

anhloc

Canada
reply to JammerMan79

Could have sworn the CARE peeps used SAQ/LQ?

It lists max 8b/17a speeds. Depending on which one is higher will dictate max service.
--

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC

ahh... yes they do and yes it's there.
That was not there previously.
AFAIK it has not been communicated or explained - reps would not know where to look for it or know it exists.
90+% of the reps don't know how to interpret the results other than "Qualified" or "Not Qualified" (red or green - when it comes to yellow or orange they're lost)... and most of the time they don't need to.

--

anhloc

Canada

I've only seen one example where the bonding has actually been nearly double, but it wasn't in Edmonton or Prince George. /wahwahnoise
--

anhloc

Canada
reply to anhloc

Confirmed that HS/Optik 50 plans will be reduced from 500GB to 400GB of usage come Feb 1, 2013.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

1 edit

said by anhloc:

Confirmed that HS/Optik 50 plans will be reduced from 500GB to 400GB of usage come Feb 1, 2013.

I can live with 400gigs per month.

With Netflix being the biggest bandwidth hog in our house, we use 350gigs on average per month. Less in summer months for obvious reasons.

I forget who posted it, and which thread it was, but someone said that one of the Telus reps they spoke to on the phone said one of the reasons for the reduction of monthly usage caps was also due to people pirating.

I guess everyone with a Netflix account is a pirate in Telus, Shaws, Bells, Eastlinks etc etc. eyes.

-------------------------------------

Honestly, Telus should offer data packages on top of the caps.

$10 for every 100gigs. and not $2per gig in overage charges (if they ever enforce it)

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02

said by South_of_22:

said by anhloc:

I can live with 400gigs per month.

With Netflix being the biggest bandwidth hog in our house, we use 350gigs on average per month. Less in summer months for obvious reasons.

I forget who posted it, and which thread it was, but someone said that one of the Telus reps they spoke to on the phone said one of the reasons for the reduction of monthly usage caps was also due to people pirating.

I guess everyone with a Netflix account is a pirate in Telus, Shaws, Bells, Eastlinks etc etc. eyes.

-------------------------------------

Honestly, Telus should offer data packages on top of the caps.

$10 for every 100gigs. and not $2per gig in overage charges (if they ever enforce it)

It's funny you say that as what's gonna happen when Netflix increases the quality of their streams or starts offering 4k streaming? Just because it works for you now doesn't mean the 500gb you were promised when you signed up won't be important and shouldn't be honoured.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

1 edit

said by WhosTheBosch:

It's funny you say that as what's gonna happen when Netflix increases the quality of their streams or starts offering 4k streaming? Just because it works for you now doesn't mean the 500gb you were promised when you signed up won't be important and shouldn't be honoured.

I honestly would like to see 1TB per month as part of the HS50/Optik50 plan.

But you know that would never happen.

What's the point of offering faster and faster connections when the ISP's neuter the amount of data one is allowed to use per month.

IMHO I think it is just collusion amongst Canadian ISP's to force customers into crappy TV packages and ISP provided streaming content.

It is just their way of getting back at the customers who look elsewhere for streaming content (Netflix)

Onetwo

Medicine Hat, AB
reply to anhloc

If any of this is enforced...

matt123

@telus.net
reply to WhosTheBosch

Well 400gb is much better then 250gb. But i guess the cap really does not matter much unless they start enforcing it.

yido12

@telus.net

I can only speak for myself, But they've enforced the cap on me 3 times in 2010 and 2011, Cutting my Internet of for the remainder of the Month all 3 times. Ever since then I haven't heard a peep

I got it back online a half month in the 2nd time being as nice as I could on Customer service since most of the times i was only 10 or 15 or so GB past the 100 cap

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to South_of_22

said by South_of_22:

Have you considered that you might be addicted to netflix? Perhaps TELUS is actually doing you a favour by lowering the caps.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC
reply to yido12

said by yido12 :

I can only speak for myself, But they've enforced the cap on me 3 times in 2010 and 2011, Cutting my Internet of for the remainder of the Month all 3 times. Ever since then I haven't heard a peep

I got it back online a half month in the 2nd time being as nice as I could on Customer service since most of the times i was only 10 or 15 or so GB past the 100 cap

this has never been reported previously... I highly doubt it
--