Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

[OOL] Optimum Web Site losing IE 9 support?

Click for full size
I know few here go to the optimum.net web site, but when I went to it today using IE 9 I got the included banner at the top of the page. Since I'm running Windows 7 I can't upgrade to IE 10. Is anyone else getting this or is something screwy with the site's user agent code detection? I don't have any 3rd party add-ins that change the user agent string with IE, so I'm pretty sure it is not something on my machine.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
I've been running into so many websites lately with that message. I think it's some advertising scam. Don't pay attention to it.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to mbernste
I tried with a couple of very outdated browsers, but didn't get anything similar:

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
LOL, maybe it's the newer browsers it doesn't recognize

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
I did not get the notice when I went to the site with IE9.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to matcarl
said by matcarl:

LOL, maybe it's the newer browsers it doesn't recognize

That could very well be that the user agent string code check it uses doesn't recognize IE 9 or 10. I don't get it with other browsers under Windows or OS X.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to mbernste
I just tried with IE 8 and no problems. But I have seen that message on Google last night while using IE 9.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to mbernste
Where you using compatibility mode?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by majortom1029:

Nope.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
reply to majortom1029
I use compatibility mode

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
reply to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

It does go away after I change out of compatibility mode.
Could someone explain to me the differences of using compatibilty mode? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by matcarl:

Could someone explain to me the differences of using compatibilty mode? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

IE9 attempts to be more standards-compliant than previous versions of the browser.. Older versions of the browser such as IE 7 were able to utilize some code that was not fully W3C compliant, and there are websites out there that utilize this code still. Throwing IE into compatibility mode makes the browser appear as IE7 to the web server.

EO50

join:2005-01-23
united state
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:

I know few here go to the optimum.net web site, but when I went to it today using IE 9 I got the included banner at the top of the page. Since I'm running Windows 7 I can't upgrade to IE 10. Is anyone else getting this or is something screwy with the site's user agent code detection? I don't have any 3rd party add-ins that change the user agent string with IE, so I'm pretty sure it is not something on my machine.

The X in the top right corner make it look like an advertisement. Maybe it wasn't from Optimum.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by EO50:

The X in the top right corner make it look like an advertisement. Maybe it wasn't from Optimum.

It was definitely from Cablevision. That's not a spot on the page where they have advertising.

One correction I do want to make is that when I turn on compatibility view the banner comes up, but when I turn it off it goes away. I must've had it on by default on my Win 7 machine at home, thus causing the user agent string to be changed from IE 9 to IE 7.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Same. I left it off when I initially checked. Sounds like they're moving on from IE7. The logo for IE9 tends to be a more pale blue so when I didn't see it giving the error, I figured it was something else than IE9 and didn't think to look more.

That banner was very similar to the one used when IE6 was phased out 3ish years ago, so it is definitely from CV.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Odd that it didn't trigger on IE5.2, then.

lyokian159
Did you try turning it off and back on?

join:2009-01-30
Garden City, NY
said by tmpchaos:

Odd that it didn't trigger on IE5.2, then.

If you are still using IE5 you are most likely using an OS that will not support anything greater.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
I keep it around for s&g, as it's the most modern version MS made for my OS.