share rss forum feed

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to Teddy Boom

Re: [Cable] Should I get the Motorola SB6120 at this point? (28m

said by Teddy Boom:

As others have said, how often Motorola updates really isn't relevant. What is important is the written or unwritten rules around Rogers changing the firmware they expect.

Once you pay Rogers the $8,100 to get a modem/firmware approved, for how long do they have to continue supporting that modem/firmware? Are they allowed to change the firmware requirement unilaterally? Are they expected to push updated firmware when they decide to change the requirement? I can't emphasize enough how critical those questions are.

What i have found out after looking into this is there is no guarantee of support for the firmware. Rogers does not on a whim decide to upgrade firmware. These upgrades are only performed to maintain network stability and to ensure that the modem is functioning properly. They do notify us prior to the firmware requirements being changed but will not update the firmware for us.
--
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

xlsx

join:2012-12-03
If it is not too much work, can you please show the current supported firmware version beside the name of the modem on TekSavvy website so that we can keep and eye on the updates. Something like: Motorola SB6120 (supported firmwares: 1.0.6.1,... etc.). Or on this forum, as a sticky, will do too. In that case, we can just monitor the forum for updates.

When there is an update I hope someone will post it on the internet for the rest of us. I have read several customer reviews of all four of the cable modems recommended on TSI's website, and found SB6120 to be the most reliable. So, this modem is not going anywhere any time soon.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
The appropriate place to put a list of approved cable modems would have to be on our site. Which has always been the case.

If you choose a service & pick the approved modems tab, the list will appear.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSILiz
said by TSILiz:

These upgrades are only performed to maintain network stability and to ensure that the modem is functioning properly.

Which makes sense. The carriers are not going to bother putting the effort into rolling out newer firmware unless there is a very good reason to do so. For cable the firmware updates were to resolve bugs that resulted in instability for a portion of the user base after upstream channel bonding was rolled out. But it was a feature that has not seen real world use until very recently even though it is a part of the DOCSIS 3.0 spec. The fact that Bell took so long to roll out the firmware updates for the CellPipe modems is ridiculous.