how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

Router Comparison

I currently have a Cradle point MBR-1000 wireless router with mobile broadband, my telco WINDSTREAM is working on DSL and it should be ready in the next year, they provide a sagemcom f@st 1704 or just a modem. I'm not sure if I should keep my current router or go with theirs. What would you guys do? Thanks.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
I would never recommend a modem/router combination, which the sagemcom appears to be. Get a separate modem and keep your present router if you find it satisfactory, or buy a decent router if you don't.
--
db

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Well, my current router is a bit old, it support b/g/n but it is at EOL, they are done releashing firmware for it, and also lacks some features, but it is a decent router. The Sagemcom is a modem/router gateway, why don't you recommend that? It doesn't appear to support N either, just b/g. But if I went with the sagemcom, the telco would replace it when it went bad.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

I don't recommend modem/router combinations because I've seen many, but never one that worked reliably. Put them in bridge mode (ie, disable the router function), if they support it, and they're usually fine.

Likewise, I've seen loads of consumer routers that just aren't reliable on factory firmware, and every modem-router I've ever seen fits into that category. Get a simple modem, pair it with a router that works, and don't worry about the overrated telco support.
--
db

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to m12345s
or better yet, use the isp provided sagemcom and then bridge it so you can use your own router...

that way, when troubleshooting time comes, you can hook your computer directly to the modem and avoid any bs that tech support might throw back at you for not using their equipment.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to m12345s
I think I'll end up getting their provided modem and using it with my current router, that way I have their supplied modem that I would hook directly up to the computer if troubleshooting was needed. Has there been any big changes in router technology over the last 3-5 years that would make it worth buying a new router, mine has b/g/n and WEP2 I believe.

medbuyer

said by m12345s:

I think I'll end up getting their provided modem and using it with my current router, that way I have their supplied modem that I would hook directly up to the computer if troubleshooting was needed. Has there been any big changes in router technology over the last 3-5 years that would make it worth buying a new router, mine has b/g/n and WEP2 I believe.

you should still be good with that..newer ones have wpa for security and dual band radios but try it out first with your current router...

don't fix anything if it ain't broke..

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Double checked and saw it actually has WPA2 Personal selected, I noticed something in the settings called beam width or something like that and it was set to 20 but it had a selection for 20/40 automatic, what is that and is it set to the correct setting? Thanks.

medbuyer

said by m12345s:

Double checked and saw it actually has WPA2 Personal selected, I noticed something in the settings called beam width or something like that and it was set to 20 but it had a selection for 20/40 automatic, what is that and is it set to the correct setting? Thanks.

just use the defualt config unless you need a specific feature you need for your network..

one thing and only thing I could think of that you need to double check is the ssid channel..make sure you use a channel that no other wifi network around you is using...

default is 6 i think, I use a higher number...

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Haha, don't think I need to worry too much about that, nearest neighbor is a quarter of a mile away, thanks for your help.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to m12345s
Sorry guys, forgot about one more question I had. When I get the service installed will my modem have to be close to the NID, or can it be at any telephone jack. I ask because the jack the NID is close to is at one end of the house and most of our computers and devices are at the other, so I would much rather use the jack in the center of the house, there are already holes going through the floor there for the satellite, so it would be easier to run Ethernet cables with it at that jack as well.