Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Apple 'Invents' Wireless Charging

Ready for ANOTHER patent war? Apple 'invents' wireless charging:

Wait, it's already a thing? Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of our lawyers

Apple is trying to patent wireless charging, claiming its magnetic resonance tech is new and that it can do it better than anyone else. This would be cool if its assertions were true.

Apple's patent application was filed in November 2010...after tech startup WiPower applied for its patent on the very concept of wireless charging in 2008.

And don't forget the Nokia Lumia 920, like a few other handsets already out there, already do wireless charging.

...the world ought to brace itself for another epic patent battle - although not quite yet: the public is still very unsure it wants wireless charging and the technology isn't built into enough coffee shops, airport lounges and car dashboards to gain a critical mass of popularity, but it should give the lawyers plenty of business by the time the current disputes fizzle out.

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

I am surprised they haven't tried to patent paper and pencil for writing.

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to FF4m3

Amusing. I wonder if Palm patented its wireless charging?

Palm's Touchstone Charger
»www.informationweek.com/mobility···29205869
June 08, 2009 12:45 AM

The Touchstone charger is one very cool accessory for the new Palm Pre.
Palm used magnetic induction which AFAICT is the same thing as magnetic resonance.
--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Ken1943

These patent trolls would try to patent all of the fundimental discoveries of our time if they were allowed to like fire, and the wheel.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Ken1943

said by Ken1943:

I am surprised they haven't tried to patent paper and pencil for writing.

That's already covered under Apple's broader patent pending for "Written Communication"

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

I'm glad they finally discovered how a common transformer works Not sure about US Patent Office though. Perhaps they still don't know that, accepting it as something new...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

OZO
Premium
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

These patent trolls would try to patent all of the fundimental discoveries of our time if they were allowed to like fire, and the wheel.

And the irony is - it looks like they are actually allowed to do so. US Patent Office becomes a prostitute - just pay the money and you'll get the service you want...
--

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I've been hoping for years that they'd close that place down and start over.

Seems to me Braun had a toothbush about 15 years ago that charged via a coupled coil. I'm pretty sure there were more before that.

Tesla comes to mind
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by SparkChaser:

I've been hoping for years that they'd close that place down and start over.

Seems to me Braun had a toothbush about 15 years ago that charged via a coupled coil. I'm pretty sure there were more before that.

Tesla comes to mind

And power companies for years have had to contend with folks firing up a pickup coil near their high-voltage lines to rob power from the fields. Maybe those power thieves should be awarded the patent instead...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3

WiPower should sue apple!

Sadly a little startup has no chance against Apple. So we know the Apple patent will get through in record time and then Apple will sue WiPower.

Just watch if Apple gets this patent they will sue the makers of all the handsets that already have wireless charging.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to FF4m3

I'm surprised Apple hasn't tried to patent the patent process.

OZO
Premium

They can't. Because I already did .
--

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to FF4m3

BREAKING NEWS:
Apple patents breathing!

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to FF4m3

nothing to do with security

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to FF4m3

Lots of prior art on this one

»www.wired.com/autopia/2012/12/in···ing-bus/

Braun/Oral-B electric toothbrushes from 10 years ago - as someone already mentioned

Microwave beamed power & charging
»www.friendsofcrc.ca/Projects/SHA···arp.html
»www.google.com/patents/US5503350

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to FF4m3

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wireless_System

Nikola Tesla was way ahead of apple when it comes to wireless energy ideas!

»www.google.com/patents/US1119732
--

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to FF4m3

I'm gonna apply for exclusive patent rights to the Sun Solar System Milky Way Galaxy Universe All Multiverses.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

I'll say it again, the patent office should be blown up, burned down and pissed on, and it would help a lot if Apple's IP team was in the building at the time. Apple is taking Patent Trolling to entirely another level and have become Patent Pirates, patenting stuff they didn't invent or otherwise innovate.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to FF4m3

I think Nikola Tesla holds the patent[s] on wireless transmission of power, so Apple may have to defend against some prior art claims, at the very least.

Seriously, If Apple thinks they JUST NOW invented wireless charging, they'd better fire their patent researcher and start reading tech journals forums more often. I think that's been around for over ten years.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

said by DrStrange:

I think Nikola Tesla holds the patent[s] on wireless transmission of power, so Apple may have to defend against some prior art claims, at the very least.

Seriously, If Apple thinks they JUST NOW invented wireless charging, they'd better fire their patent researcher and start reading tech journals forums more often. I think that's been around for over ten years.

but they invented wireless charging with rounded edges!! its the edges that make it different *nod*
--

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

Tesla's wireless power system used a big copper ball at the top of the tower. I think that constitutes prior art on 'round' or 'rounded'. Apple probably needs to pay back royalties to a flock of pigeons somewhere.

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to DrStrange

Other forms of wireless charging are mentioned in the patent, so it looks like it is just a particular implementation.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to FF4m3

Why are these patent stories showing up in the Security forum? There is nothing there that relates to this forum like the others I have seen.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

Just like this one:
»Troll Sues Apple For Daring To Plug Headphones Into iPhone

Did a "Hey Mods" about 2 weeks ago on that but it seems the Mods don't check that anymore.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

I for one, would not want to take on the tremendous liability issues for the misuse of either technology.

But seriously, why isn't there a more aggressive move in the US towards patent law reform? I'm all for limited-time patents on good ideas. But obviously the test for "novel" is no longer even a consideration, let alone a requirement, to get a US Patent. As for Apple? Yeah, the whole "prior art" thing appears to be their problem here.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Cthen

said by Cthen:

said by Cartel:

Just like this one:
»Troll Sues Apple For Daring To Plug Headphones Into iPhone

Did a "Hey Mods" about 2 weeks ago on that but it seems the Mods don't check that anymore.

My guess the mods just don't give a damn - another thread has been locked today. But a thread with the sole purpose of bashing Apple and the patent system is just fine.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

OZO
Premium

This is not about the Apple. Why don't you guys see that... It's about the whole patent system in the US, crating this absurd and facilitating patent trolls. Apple is just a good example here. Probably one of the most notorious, but still the example. Others come very close to it, for example, Microsoft. It's the system, that is broken here, not a specific company. These days all companies more or less are just being pushed to play this game in their businesses...

Again it's the US Patent Office, who creates this problem and therefore is at fault here. They found the way to generate a new revenue for them... Don't want to be sued later? Pay them for so called "patents" (whatever it means now).
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10
reply to FF4m3

I am in awe of Apples magnificence....

EGeezer
Go Cats
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to FF4m3

I'd make some toast, but I don't know where to send the royalty payment.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

This is not about the Apple.

It's also not about security.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!