uniqs
share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

iTunes corrupt message on launch

A friend of mine has an iMac running 10.6.8 and yesterday she went to launch iTunes (she had just connected a new iPad4 to the Mac), and she received an error message - something to the effect that iTunes was corrupt. I didn't get the whole gist of the matter as I was on the road at the time and had to concentrate on driving.

Anyway, I've done a little digging and was wondering if the following steps made sense to try in this order:

1) Re-start in safe mode to see if that fixed anything automagically
2) repair disk permissions in DU
3) delete itunes.plist Preferences file and restart
4) re-install iTunes (what would you recommend as the best way to do this)

...anything else????

Thanks

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

You could also try renaming the itunes library file(s) in case it's the library that is corrupt and not the actual install (this would work under Windows at any rate, and should work with OS X).

iTunes will start up empty if it was the library file(s) that were corrupt.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

MaynardKrebs
Premium

If the Library file(s) were in fact corrupt, I'm guessing that restoring the library from a Time Machine backup might also be corrupt.

If restoring from Time Machine I presume that going back far enough in time ought to recover a usable copy of the library, if more recent versions were also corrupt.

Not being familiar with iTunes library file(s), am I looking for one, or many files to potentially restore?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

Not sure as I don't use OS X (so hopefully someone else can answer). On Windoze, minimally it would be the iTunes Library.itl file and maybe the iTunes Library.xml file.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to MaynardKrebs

Just to close this thread,

All the iTunes applications files, plists, etc... were deleted, and then a fresh install of iTunes downloaded from Apple cleared up the problem.