bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Dodge

Re: Picking location to buy a house

In addition to things mentioned - how is fire protection, garbage pickup etc. handled. Sewer or septic? Floodplain or sinkhole area? Aluminum or copper wiring? Are you absolutely sure you can get dependable high speed internet? Is there more than one entrance to subdivision? Also, if there is a HOA investigate it in depth to find out about dues and if you can live with it in general.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

said by bkjohnson:

In addition to things mentioned - how is fire protection, garbage pickup etc. handled. Sewer or septic? Floodplain or sinkhole area? Aluminum or copper wiring? Are you absolutely sure you can get dependable high speed internet? Is there more than one entrance to subdivision? Also, if there is a HOA investigate it in depth to find out about dues and if you can live with it in general.

What's a subdivision and why does it matter how many entrances? HOA is out of the question, so if there is an HOA I'm walking away from the house no matter how much I like it.

This maybe a stupid question, but aluminum v copper wiring is inside the house question, or is this something I need to investigate on the outside also?

What am I looking for as far as Fire protection? I've always lived in NYC, where fire / ambulance / police response is stellar, so I am not even sure what to investigate here.

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

Subdivison is analogous to neighborhood, or maybe a group of contiguous neighborhoods, I guess. I like having more than one way in and out, in case one entrance gets blocked by a fallen tree, wreck. etc. With respect to aluminum vs copper, I was thinking inside, probably not range, etc. wiring. I used to live in a house with aluminum wiring, and it never gave any real problems. However, when I went to sell the house, it became somewhat of an issue with the buyer, and I had to pay for inspection and some remediation. After learning more about it I doubt that I would buy another house with aluminum wiring. There have been a good many threads here on the topic. As for fire protection, the rating of a fire department as well as distance to a fire station and hydrant can affect insurance costs. Probably won't be an issue, but still best to check. Also important to me are good EMS services.