k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by rocca:

Unfortunately not. The firmware on that is custom with Rogers details in it I believe? (ie when you login has their name, etc on it?) That model isn't certified for general use.

I don't think there is anything "locking" it to Rogers. Of course it could theoretically be a non-returned rental. It is just as easy for me to update as any other modem though.
--
electronicsguru.ca

jackie999

join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Teddy Boom:

said by rocca:

Unfortunately not. The firmware on that is custom with Rogers details in it I believe? (ie when you login has their name, etc on it?) That model isn't certified for general use.

I don't think there is anything "locking" it to Rogers. Of course it could theoretically be a non-returned rental. It is just as easy for me to update as any other modem though.

That's interesting ...I would have tried to flash it if I knew where to find the firmware. Is it possible to flash to the required ver then change mac addy so that it could be used as a spare?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by jackie999:

That's interesting ...I would have tried to flash it if I knew where to find the firmware. Is it possible to flash to the required ver then change mac addy so that it could be used as a spare?

For practical purposes no. This gets into the whole theft of service topic that I prefer to avoid, but.. Basically, there are security certificates that go with the MAC to ensure the modem you are using is really the modem it is supposed to be. Somebody might know how to do it, but I certainly can't.

I do have a copy of 1.4.0.40-RES (the RES part is redundant, as far as I can tell. It is just a restatement of the firmware version). It came from a modem that was on a US ISP, so probably Comcast. That means I do not have the administrator password for it. Except for turning it into a bridge, you really don't need admin access, so it isn't a huge problem. It does work perfectly on Rogers though, and satisfies the bureaucratic requirements that Rogers puts on the TPIA ISPs.
--
electronicsguru.ca

jackie999

join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Teddy Boom:

said by jackie999:

For practical purposes no. This gets into the whole theft of service topic that I prefer to avoid, but.. Basically, there are security certificates that go with the MAC to ensure the modem you are using is really the modem it is supposed to be. Somebody might know how to do it, but I certainly can't.

I do have a copy of 1.4.0.40-RES (the RES part is redundant, as far as I can tell. It is just a restatement of the firmware version). It came from a modem that was on a US ISP, so probably Comcast. That means I do not have the administrator password for it. Except for turning it into a bridge, you really don't need admin access, so it isn't a huge problem. It does work perfectly on Rogers though, and satisfies the bureaucratic requirements that Rogers puts on the TPIA ISPs.

Thanks for the informative answer. I had wondered about the theft issue ..but figured the modem is just a 'key' to access service already available on the line. I think this old modem is useless now then since I won't ever be going back to rogers

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by jackie999:

Thanks for the informative answer. I had wondered about the theft issue ..but figured the modem is just a 'key' to access service already available on the line. I think this old modem is useless now then since I won't ever be going back to rogers

Well, not useless exactly. The modems I get have never been on Rogers at all, so anybody buying a modem has to use it with a small company. Since yours was on Rogers network it is quite valuable to a Rogers customer. Firmware doesn't matter for them, because Rogers will push the update.
--
electronicsguru.ca