Gunn
join:2007-08-02
Drayden, MD

Gunn to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov

Re: [Exede] Port forwarding?

said by DrStrangLov:

Sidebar - I found this tidbit interesting:

How can I view a device (like an IP camera) on my AyrMesh Network from the Internet?

There is no way to do this with any router except the AyrMesh Routers. Making a device on your local network visible on the Internet is accomplished by a simple trick called “port forwarding” – opening a port on your router and forwarding that port to a device on the network. The AyrMesh Routers unify the AyrMesh network so they can “port forward” to devices networked on the AyrMesh Hub(s)

Via this product: »www.ayrstone.com/wp/prod ··· esh-hub/

The only problem with what they say is that in order to accomplish port forwarding, your ISP has to support/allow it! That's my issue. I'm using the Verizon MiFi cellular service now. And I've tested an AT&T 4G wireless hotspot device. The AT&T router admin webpage has the standard port forwarding page and it looks like it is supported just fine. But it doesn't work. I guess the device (made by a 3rd party manufacture) supports it, but the service (AT&T or Verizon) don't allow it. Has something to do with how they assign IP addresses and route them through their network...

That's why I'm interested in Excede; as that is my only other option out here... Those AyrMesh products are interesting though. I've done a similiar homebrew extended range network here in the past using a couple of routers setup with DD-WRT firmware and cantennas to get my local WiFi connection in a barn 500ft away without any problems. They advertise up to 2 miles!
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by Gunn:

port forwarding

In several weeks, I could check via older non-used computer to see if ports are blocked, but computer I'm using now has firewall tuned on, along with router's firewall turned on, and I ain't going to open these firewalls up on this computer.

There are internet programs like ShieldsUP,

»www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

to test all ports, but I don't have time to do this now.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to Gunn

to Gunn
said by Gunn:

The only problem with what they say is that in order to accomplish port forwarding, your ISP has to support/allow it!

FCC’s Open Internet Rules specifically applied to "fixed Internet." But, these rules "do not prohibit discrimination on the mobile Internet."

»cyberlaw.stanford.edu/bl ··· ou-think

In FCC's document cited below, on page 54, it suggests these mobile broadband providers should disclose their policies...I ain't got the time to read the fine print, but if true, then Verizon/AT&T should have somewhere their policies.

1. Application of Openness Principles to Mobile Broadband

a. Transparency

97. The wide array of commenters who support a disclosure requirement generally agree that all broadband providers, including mobile broadband providers, should be required to
disclose their network management practices.300 Although some mobile broadband providers argue that the dynamic nature of mobile network management makes meaningful disclosure difficult,301 we conclude that end users need a clear understanding of network management practices, performance, and commercial terms, regardless of the broadband platform they use to access the Internet.....

»hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_ ··· 01A1.pdf
Gunn
join:2007-08-02
Drayden, MD

Gunn

Nice link, thanks. Ill have to read more in my liesure time.

As I'm stuck with either a cellular or satellite home internet, it bothers me that port forwarding, while a standard for cable or DSL is not for mobile networks. And the real kicker is the mobile device itself supports it, but I guess the network does not. I just found out that at&t does offer a static IP and port forwarding, but only for corporate accounts....!

And I hate being stuck in a 2yr contract to check it out.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by Gunn:

port forwarding

Exede's Official Statement: Network Management Policy – Exede by ViaSat-1

"ViaSat does not intentionally block any particular form of traffic or reset a subscriber connection that otherwise complies with the Exede Terms of Service, except that ViaSat may block NetBios, TCP/UDP port 135-139 at the user terminal. These services allow file sharing over networks. When improperly configured, they can expose critical system files or give system access to any malicious intruder connected to the network. Further, from time to time, ViaSat may block additional ports that it reasonably believes may be a security risk to the network."

»www.exede.com/legal
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 edits

silbaco

Premium Member

said by DrStrangLov:

said by Gunn:

port forwarding

Further, from time to time, ViaSat may block additional ports that it reasonably believes may be a security risk to the network."

»www.exede.com/legal

I am surprised they still recycle that old line. A security risk maybe if you throw a factory windows 98 machine on directly connected to the modem. Modern routers will block these attacks, as will well configured software firewalls. Of course there are a lot of people who still use Windows XP with a crappy firewall or use Mint/Ubuntu with the default configuration of no firewall. But that is not the ISP's problem.

ISPs should not block any ports unless requested.