spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thephantom

join:2001-04-24
Alamo, CA

[Help] Upgrade Samsung Galaxy IIs to Ice Cream Sandwich?

I have a Samsung Galaxy IIs I bought a little over a year ago and I am on T-Mobile. It has Gingerbread and I was wondering if there was a way (without rooting) to update it with Ice Cream Sandwich. And for that matter, should I?

TIA,
S.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
Unless you root, no there is not unless your provider pushes it via an OTA update; and yes you absolutely should update. The difference/improvements are substantial. Better yet, just make the jump to Jelly Bean instead.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to thephantom
I was under the impression that the S2 on TM could be updated with the official ICS via Kies (appears to have come out 6/11/12):

»support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3029

thephantom

join:2001-04-24
Alamo, CA
said by tcope:

I was under the impression that the S2 on TM could be updated with the official ICS via Kies (appears to have come out 6/11/12):

Thanks. I'll look into it. Do you know if I can I go directly to Jelly Bean? I've never had anything pushed to my phone.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
said by thephantom:

Do you know if I can I go directly to Jelly Bean? I've never had anything pushed to my phone.

You cannot, via Tmobile. You would need to root your phone and install an aftermarket ROM to do that.

Google puts out Android for free (with a few limits). Phone carriers can then design a phone and use Android as the OS. However, just like a computer, they need to obtain drivers for all of their hardware. They can then also modify Android as they want as well (Samsung using it's TouchWiz interface which is includes certain modifications to Android). On an upgrade Samsung then sends this to TM to have TM modify it a little (adding their bloatware such as WiFi calling). So there is a lot involved in providing an official update. It may also be that Samsung would rather not upgrade an older phone in the hopes that people will buy the newest Samsung product. But they also need to keep existing customers happy. it's a tough line to draw.

IMHO, the jump from ICS to JB is not that big.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to tcope
said by tcope:

Ahhh yes, forgot about Kies. Horrid program that it is.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
I looked at it once... once. And that was for about 2 seconds.