join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to mattrixx

Re: Question about ATT "Gateway" and 3rd. party Router

I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes.

The 3800 HGV gateway has a provision for one client to share the public IP address. You would use that for your router. Or you could just connect your router as a second level router (that's how I do it).

The second method should work for any gateway. The first method should work for any 2Wire gateway, but I'm not sure about other gateways that are used.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

said by nwrickert:

Or you could just connect your router as a second level router (that's how I do it).

What exactly do you mean "second level router"? Could you be more specific regarding the actual connection and config?

Thanks for your original reply. Any further insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by mattrixx:

Could you be more specific regarding the actual connection and config?

When I first got u-verse, I set up my router as "a router behind the router". That 2Wire terminology. I set it up to share the public IP of the gateway. I used it that way for a year.

Then I switched to the current way of using it. I disabled the "router behind router" check in 3800 HGV gateway. I connected the WAN port of my router to the gateway. The gateway used IP addresses 192.168.1.* on it's lan, so my own router got an IP of that form for its WAN address. And I have my router set to use 192.168.254.* on its LAN.

If I want to forward a port (I do forward port 22 for example), then on the gateway, I forward that to my router, and on my router I forward that to the particular computer that I want to handle incoming connections.

The reasons that I switched - basically, it works better this way. With my router sharing the public IP, "traceroute" (from linux) did not work though "tracert" from windows worked. With the second level router setup, both work. The immediate problem that caused me to switch, was that my router was losing connection every two or three days. After a firmware update to the gateway, the DHCP lease renewal was less reliable for a router configured to share the public IP.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

Thanks nwrickert

Not yet dealing with this switch over to U-Verse and it`s "Gateway", I think I understand what you are saying is just connect my router`s WAN port (presently connected to ATT DSL Modem) to an open LAN connection on the "Gateway"?

As you might have guessed, I am not too familiar with all of this, having been originally setup for Broadband DSL many years now, and being content with typical Modem and Router configuration.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by mattrixx:

Not yet dealing with this switch over to U-Verse and it`s "Gateway", I think I understand what you are saying is just connect my router`s WAN port (presently connected to ATT DSL Modem) to an open LAN connection on the "Gateway"?

Yes, that's correct. But first make sure that the range of LAN addresses on your own router is different from the range of LAN addresses on the gateway. You can change that range on either device.
--