Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Condo Assocation and Signed Agreements with Cable Provider

Hi All

Been with at&t dsl since January 2005, today get the current newsletter from our Condo Assocation, and towards the end it states the Board has signed an Agreement with WOW to Service our area, and in the staging process.

What does this mean for current at&t dsl subscripers, Directv, and Dish network folks, as well as Comcast, I know with Satellite we got the FCC and OTard rules protecting us I do believe on that part.

But can they force us to switch internet providers? or will we be able to stay with at&t dsl like we are currently

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It means you will be paying for WOW services in your monthly dues whether you use it or not. You can do anything you want though. I own 2 rental properties where they have basic cable included. You can choose to use that, upgrade it and pay the difference, or not use it and go with anyone else you want. All it really means is you will be paying like $25/month extra in dues. If you use the basic cable it will save you maybe $10/month. If you don't use it then you just pay for nothing so others in the association can save that $10/month.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to computerman2

You should be able to stay with AT&T, since it is DSL, and most likely you'll be grandfathered in. I will say that my experience with WOW was great, coming from Comcast. It took over three years for WOW to get to the price I was paying when I left Comcast.

I haven't been with them for about five years, but they were great back then. Personally I'd pick WOW over AT&T.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to computerman2

I assume you didn't go to the last association meeting or complete the proxy? They need to vote on changes like this so you should have been able to vote 'No'.

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI

Well last meeting this wasn't mentioned, first mention of this was in the current newsletter, next meeting January 7th

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to computerman2

It might have been a few meetings ago. Normally they vote to look into it. After they get prices then they vote to approve it. After that the board has to work with the management company for the association to enact it. I'd guess the original vote was 2-3 meetings ago and it just finally got enacted.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Usually our meetings are once a year, last one was in October, and then this one coming up--last meeting in October discussed was parking, and Water bill, and misc other items--NO Mention of Signing any agreement with WOW Cable then

City just got WOW Cable and Internet in the City over the Summer...

But i'll just worry about it when the first bill comes I suppose, and deal with it then..

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to computerman2

Ouch it looks like in Michigan only an annual meeting is required by law. It's quarterly for me on both properties I have with associations.

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Draiman:

Ouch it looks like in Michigan only an annual meeting is required by law. It's quarterly for me on both properties I have with associations.

In Illinois, we're supposed to have them semi regularly, but we usually end up with one meeting a year when someone has something to complain about. Even then, the President of the Board is in foreclosure, so not much gets done.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

Every month where I live.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

bmilone2

join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ
reply to computerman2

The requirements for frequency of meetings at a Homeowners or Condominium Association would be contained in the Master Deed and By-Laws. Some documents only call for an annual meeting.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Majestik

said by Majestik:

said by Draiman:

That would cost a ton of money to do sending out all the paperwork monthly. I'd also contend it boarders on excessive to the point where the board could spread out issues for votes in hopes people would miss it and they could sneak stuff in. I'd take real offense to a month meeting unless voting was restricted to once a year or quarterly meetings only.
--

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Just got the notice on the door, that WOW Internet and Phone is gonna start wiring the complex soon, and please don't remove the utlity marking flags once placed on the lawn LOL

I wonder if they try to get people with Satellites on the roof or Pole mounted if they'll be willing to pay the Early Termination Fee lol, I doubt it though

Right now we're staying with at&t dsl, and Directv Satellite

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Majestik

said by Majestik:

said by Draiman:

For board meetings or full association meetings? The latter would be ridiculous.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

said by Majestik:

said by Draiman:

That would cost a ton of money to do sending out all the paperwork monthly. I'd also contend it boarders on excessive to the point where the board could spread out issues for votes in hopes people would miss it and they could sneak stuff in. I'd take real offense to a month meeting unless voting was restricted to once a year or quarterly meetings only.

Board meeting once a month. Always been that way here. No paperwork to send out. No cost. Coffee and tea might cost something. Homemade cookies or whatever. A lot of women here who like to cook and bake.
Discussions on resident issues or complaints.
Usually a guest speaker such as fireman to discuss home fire safety and prevention,police discuss home safety/security,learn to use portable resuscitator,saving a drowning victim,etc. getting to know new neighbors,District Councilor visits,discuss spring bake sale and annual spring garage sale,etc.
Always something going on here.
Voting ballots on anything are mailed to each resident usually the third week of December every year.Residents are informed and given detailed info and questions on any issue months before its time to vote.Any board member running for a position will present a detailed resume.
I think there has been one or two emergency issues we had to vote on that was not in December since I've lived here.

Monthly newsletter email has the board meeting,book club,Bridge club,game night,etc. date and time along ,monthly treasury report,property manager report,board member email address,classifieds,community news,etc.
This is a large gated community.
--

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to Cabal

said by Cabal:

said by Majestik:

said by Draiman:

For board meetings or full association meetings? The latter would be ridiculous.

I don't recall a full meeting every year. Usually when they want everyone to attend they will use a nearby hotel conference room.
And there has to be a over a certain amount before they will do this.
--

bmilone2

join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ
reply to computerman2

In regard to Association restricting access to satellite use the Federal Telecommunications Act states:

If it is a Fee Simple Homeowners Association (meaning the homeowner owns the lot in addition to the structure) the Association cannot restrict you from obtaining a signal through the use of a dish. (location cannot be restricted)

If it is a Condominium Association, the Association can't totally restrict use of a dish, but can stipulate one can only be placed on limited common element of the owner, which is normally the patio or deck (if the unit has one). The issue with this is that from that location the dish may not have the proper ability to line up to the satellite.

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI

Well we do have it in writing that it's allowed on the roof when Directv was installed back in May 2012..so I think we're covered there

So think we're fine for the moment

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to computerman2

What did the board chairman tell you when you contacted him/her about this?

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

It means you will be paying for WOW services in your monthly dues whether you use it or not. You can do anything you want though.

It is also possible that the board simply granted WOW a right of way in the development to install infrastructure to service any homes that want to subscribe.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by kontos:

said by Draiman:

It means you will be paying for WOW services in your monthly dues whether you use it or not. You can do anything you want though.

It is also possible that the board simply granted WOW a right of way in the development to install infrastructure to service any homes that want to subscribe.

That could be the case but the OP said the infrastructure already exists in the condos. They have RG6 aka coaxial cable in the units with other carriers who provide service now. It seems silly WOW would install all new infrastructure given it already exists.
--

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to computerman2

Is telephone/cable/internet included in the condo fees?

The "agreement" may be that they have agreed to allow WOW access to install on the property, not that they are requiring everyone to subscribe to them or abandon their current providers.

Too many unanswered questions. I would make sure that you are at the Jan 7th meeting to ask the pointed questions. I would also check your condo bylaws and declarations to see what is allowed by the board. They probably have the right to allow access to the property, but not to each individual unit.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to computerman2

For the 2 associations I deal with they control everything from the drywall out. That means they can request access to your place to install new water pipes, RG6 (cable), etc. and you can't stop them. If you refuse access they fine you. If you don't pay they invoke the clause that allows them to foreclose on your unit. They can be a great thing or your worst nightmare.

We had a toilet overflow in the unit above mine and it leaked into the ceiling of my unit. They came and replaced the insulation and drywall in the bathroom ceiling since it was their responsibility.
--

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

All I know right now is More Discussion President said will take place at the January 7th meeting

Currently have Comcast in here providing service to several units, and Some units have Dish Network or Directv cable, in addition to at&t dsl

and yes Condo Assocation controls indoor water meters, have to give them access, sprinker system meter inside here, in addition to sump pump maintenance when needed.

A lot of unanswered questions with the WOW Cable issue, but quite a bit of other issues to deal with at the next meeting as well.

Currently Telephone/cable, and internet is paid by each unit that subscribes to it, Current Water bill is paid by the Assocation, which is way behind on with that bill..

Will Post pictures once WOW starts installing, got construction notice on door hang tag yesterday, flag laying will be in a couple days it states..and they will do there best to restore the lawn back to way it was.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

For the 2 associations I deal with they control everything from the drywall out.

I am on our condo board, however our condo documents stipulate that the unit owner is responsible from the outside walls IN, meaning that any damage to the siding, glass, brick, etc as well as electrical and plumbing systems, is the responsibility of the owner, not the association. The only thing on the buildings that is the responsibility of the association is the roof. We have Cox cable and FIOS available to any owner, no exclusive rights. We HAVE to allow dishes on the buildings by law, (and there are many) but we can govern any damages to the roof or leaks caused by an installation.

As you can see, the rules differ immensely. It all depends on the builder and the lawyer.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by stevek1949:

said by Draiman:

For the 2 associations I deal with they control everything from the drywall out.

I am on our condo board, however our condo documents stipulate that the unit owner is responsible from the outside walls IN, meaning that any damage to the siding, glass, brick, etc as well as electrical and plumbing systems, is the responsibility of the owner, not the association. The only thing on the buildings that is the responsibility of the association is the roof. We have Cox cable and FIOS available to any owner, no exclusive rights. We HAVE to allow dishes on the buildings by law, (and there are many) but we can govern any damages to the roof or leaks caused by an installation.

As you can see, the rules differ immensely. It all depends on the builder and the lawyer.

They vary widely that's for sure. I was just trying to point out the same thing you were that more info is needed and you need to read the association stuff before you join.

The association we have on our 3rd rental in CT is non-existent. They have an annual meeting but they do nothing and no one shows up. The owners have to do everything. It's about $275 a month for nothing really yet one of the Florida rentals is $293 and it included basic cable, unlimited water, weight room, spa, pool, gated, etc.
--

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

It seems silly WOW would install all new infrastructure given it already exists.

If it works. The problem is that they don't know anything about the existing cable. Most cable companies are like that. I've dealt with both WOW and Comcast and they will run new lines for a new install, even if the old line worked fine. This way they know any problems are theirs and not with the old cable.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Kilroy:

said by Draiman:

It seems silly WOW would install all new infrastructure given it already exists.

If it works. The problem is that they don't know anything about the existing cable. Most cable companies are like that. I've dealt with both WOW and Comcast and they will run new lines for a new install, even if the old line worked fine. This way they know any problems are theirs and not with the old cable.

I wouldn't allow them to install new line. If they can't use the existing stuff they can't get my business. They can put on a tester and see how good the cable is before they use the existing stuff. If there is no issues they better use it. The last thing people want is 2-4 outlets in each room for each provider. STUPID!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Critsmcgee:

I wouldn't allow them to install new line.

Your not a good candidate for condo ownership then, its not your choice if the CCR's say otherwise.
Expand your moderator at work