Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Christmas Promotion

Is this legitimate? I am scheduled to be activated tomorrow. If it is legit, can I get in on this deal?

»toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell···36742298

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
said by Poser:

Is this legitimate? I am scheduled to be activated tomorrow. If it is legit, can I get in on this deal?

»toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell···36742298

Except from link:

EXCLUSIVE TO IN-STORE ACTIVATIONS ONLY, NOT APPLICABLE FOR ONLINE APPLICATION - We are an Authorized Dealer of Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

So....it pretty much answers your question there.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Poser
Didn't we talk about this outfit a while ago?

Something about it didn't seem right and I don't think TekSavvy guys were amused when they saw it...

Edit: there's the thread

»Teksavvy Store in Scarborough

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
reply to Poser
It is marginally legitimate. To the best of my understanding (I've asked about it before, but I might have misunderstood the answer) They are a Teksavvy wholesaler, so they are supposed to be rebranding rather than using Teksavvy's name. You are not really a Teksavvy customer exactly when you order with them. In particular, payment goes to them, and they then pay Teksavvy for in bulk for all their customers.

By comparison, I'm a Teksavvy reseller, so I use Teksavvy's name all the time. When you sign up with me you are paying Teksavvy directly and you are a full customer. Teksavvy pays me a commission.

I believe the reason they can offer big discounts on unlimited is that they only buy 300GB service for those accounts from Teksavvy. As we know, there is no usage meter...

And then of course there is the no shipping, which is easy. They buy bulk modems from Teksavvy.

It is an okay deal, but mine is better (as in, completely straightforward about everything, knowledgeable about the service, willing to take the time, etc. etc. ).
--
electronicsguru.ca

addp009
Premium
join:2003-03-08
Kitchener, ON
reply to HiVolt
Okay so what's the pros/cons of going to dealers vs directly from Teksavvy.

I want to switch to Cable from DSL dryloop, but the cost of new activation + new cable modem cost doesn't make a good ROI. A deal like this makes it a lot more attractive.
--
Addp009's Site

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 edit
Oh, I didn't notice, is it really $45 off activation? Now that I don't understand... Are they getting much cheaper modems from a third party then? Or are they subsidizing the activation cost some? Is Teksavvy cooperating some to improve the subsidy? I think Teksavvy will give cheaper prices if you buy a lot of modems at one time, but I don't know how that mixes with the activation discount.. I wish they'd tell me this stuff

Anyway.. Pros cons? I've never dealt with them specifically, they might be fantastic or completely absent. I don't think you'll ever save more than $40 or so one time, and no savings on the monthly fee. What service are you looking at?
--
electronicsguru.ca

addp009
Premium
join:2003-03-08
Kitchener, ON
Looking at Cable 18. The monthly cost is still lower than DSL 6 mbps + dryloop fee.
--
Addp009's Site

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to Poser
This is not something promoted by TekSavvy and it is being investigated.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to Poser
If there is a promo, TSI would announce it, Here, emails to customer base, TSI website.

petah

join:2002-07-27
L9T
reply to Poser
This says it all: (Steeles & Kennedy Inside Splendid China Mall).

I doubt Teksavvy would have a store inside a Chinese mall.... yet.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
reply to Poser
i'm chinese and i think this is hilarious. I guess TSI has enough fame now for knock-offs. LV/Gucci class of internet service - should be honored.
Expand your moderator at work

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to Poser

Re: Christmas Promotion

This mall is on the south side of Steeles, across from P mall. I always wanted to go in there and snap some photos of this place but figured I would stick out like a sore thumb right away lol...

XP7051V3

join:2012-12-04
reply to TSI Andre
holy crap! I registered with them back in Sept. I pay them about 43 bucks a month via pre-authorized credit card and it shows up as Redbox on my statements. I don't know what to do...or if I should do anything. The store had a GIANT Teksavvy banner on it.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to addp009
said by addp009:

Looking at Cable 18. The monthly cost is still lower than DSL 6 mbps + dryloop fee.

So the real issue is what modem you want on that service. Unless money is tight (or you are really frugal, or whatever), you should probably get a Docsis 3 so you'll be forward compatible with new speeds that should be coming soon. At the same time, Docsis 3 is a lot more expensive, and Docsis 2 is okay for 18mbps.

Your costs should come to something like:
Service (Express 18 300GB) $39.95
Activation $65.00
Subtotal $104.95
HST $13.64
Total $118.59
Modem $35 or $75, no tax.

For a total of either $153.59 (docsis 2) or $193.59 (docsis 3). If you can beat those all in costs, you are doing very well.

--
electronicsguru.ca

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

1 edit
reply to XP7051V3
Hello XP7051V3,

After further investigation, I can confirm that this company is a TekSavvy wholesaler.

To confirm, you haven't been serviced as part of a scam.

We are working with them to ensure branding is used in the correct fashions.

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

WiZZLa
Insert Meaningless Text Here -Run 4a Mod

join:2003-11-09
Canada
reply to Poser
It's now been changed to "Redbox Internet". They also state "We are an Authorized Dealer" and have removed all traces of the word "Teksavvy" from the ad.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by WiZZLa:

It's now been changed to "Redbox Internet". They also state "We are an Authorized Dealer" and have removed all traces of the word "Teksavvy" from the ad.

Wow! I wonder what changed from August till now..
--
electronicsguru.ca

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Poser
Even as "Redbox Internet" , I'd be thinking they'll have problems with that name too somewheres down the road. Wasn't there a DVD rental service or VOD service using that moniker too?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
Redbox is what Verizon wants or has called the VOD service.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to Poser
Actually Redbox (Redbox Automated Retail) is a company that owns and operates a network of automated movie rental machines in the US that Verizon is partnering with for a joint venture to stream media.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
Click for full size
redbox
Yes... thanks for clarifying that... I knew it had something to do with Verizon...

These redboxes...

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

To confirm, you haven't been "jipted".

The common spelling is 'gypped', and it's a racial slur.
You should be ashamed. Look it up and then go wash your mouth out with soap....and your keyboard too.

It doesn't matter that the term has entered the vernacular - it's racist, pure and simple.

stormy13

join:2003-10-28
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Martin
»forums.redflagdeals.com/teksavvy···1267568/
--
MS MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010-2012

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs
Lol @ calling gypped racist

PC much?,

stop gypping me bro.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
Don't be so ignorant. Get an education.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

said by MaynardKrebs:

Don't be so ignorant. Get an education.

Not everyone knows the meaning and doesn't mean they are being racist! The term also has few meanings so it really depends how the term is being used!!

You know the meaning so you don't use it but doesn't mean you rip them apart by using the term. Unless and of course it was meant to be racist which I don't think anyone in here knew before you posted your "Knowledge"!!!!

i LOLd

@videotron.ca
reply to stormy13
LOL
This guy is telling people that if they get 15-meg on their 28-meg service it's just congestion and that is normal.

So teksavvy is seriously legitimizing and "authorizing" this guy?

What does teksavvy think about the statement about how it's normal to have 15-megs of a 28-meg service at peak time?

This guy is basically telling people you are over-sold and congested at peak times and that this is normal to have and pay for!

Is this what you tell your resellers to say with your marketing material that you provide them?

Sorry, but that is funny and a good chuckle.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to stormy13
If Redbox is a reseller TSI really need to stop them from representing themselves as Teksavvy. On that RFD post Redbox makes it seem like he's an official TSI representative.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to i LOLd
well he's right, TSI is mostly oversold at this point and DSL is saturated at peak as well as cable in Ottawa.