Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

Re: [TWC] Have new speed tier with problems on Win 8

I expected Oceanic to set it up properly. These two were Oceanic's best ... one tech I have known for many years and he is excellent...but excellent for finding the problem on the node more than for enabling DOCSIS 3 at someone's home. The other tech moved over from Kona where he was with Oceanic since the 90's so both are highly experienced (he even recalled that he used to hoard the Surfboard 4100 years ago because if a customer was having problems generally the one thing that fixed it was changing the modem to a Surfboard (instead of crappy Toshiba, etc) and Oceanic never had enough Surfboards even when they were actively ordering them. So the techs would hoard them when they got one back and hide them and not officially return them to the warehouse so they had one for their customers when nothing else fixed the problems).

I didn't notice where to put in bridged mode. If I login will I see it? I may have to use it for awhile (if Oceanic has no 6141's today and they knew I wanted ONLY the 6141 so they must have had none yesterday or they would have sent the 6141, ...of course, whoever grabbed the modem might not have been someone who knew I had been very specific about wanting only the 6141).

Oceanic CSR told me last night on the phone that I should NOT purchase my own modem because if I do a service call will cost $60+. They are now warning everyone to not buy their own modem.

EDIT: Ok, I see instructions on how to set it to bridged mode. I'll try to return it in the next hour and, if I have to keep it for awhile, I'll follow those instructions.

»www.ehow.com/how_12124828_bridge···580.html
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by Mele20:

I expected Oceanic to set it up properly.

It's set for default Oceanic settings which are probably fine for 99% of users.

You're picky and want something special. You can set it up. I did for my 6580.

Service calls will only be billed if they find something wrong with your equipment or wiring.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

There was confusion at the office today because I asked for the Surfboard 6141 and was told Oceanic doesn't have any and the CSR had never heard of them. The problem was that Oceanic refers to all the modems by another number that I was not familiar with and the CSR wasn't familiar with "Surfboard 6141" until I told her to look at the list of approved DOCSIS 3 modems ....then she saw it and it was one of the three she had gotten out of the drawer already.

It has a power block too but not as huge. But it covers two connections on my APC UPS. Why are the manufacturers doing this? The power block on the 5100 was on the line itself not on the connector so it didn't interfere with a power strip or UPS with connectors not extremely widely spaced. How can people use a UPS when everything now has these big blocks on the plugs?

I cannot connect to the modem's internal page. It should be at
»192.168.100.1/startup.html

But I get a 404 error there.

Plus, now the Win 8 computer cannot see the XP one or the virtual machine running on the XP one. I can't get my one monitor to hook up correctly to the XP one...this problem started last night. It's like I didn't screw in the monitor cable correctly but I tried both DVI connectors on the back of the XP computer....it had been working until last night. The XP computer probably needs rebooting but I need to be able to have a monitor working on it to do that as there is a virtual machine running on it that would need to be shut down first.

My speed with the 6141 is about one-half what I was getting with the Gateway Surfboard modem yesterday on the XP computer. It was excellent on XP but just slightly above Standard RR speed on the Win 8 computer. It is STILL like that on the Win 8 computer with the new modem. It's the download speed that is poor on Win 8...upload speed is fine. Any ideas about the possible cause?

I see that something is still wrong. My Linksy router is not handling the dhcp. Instead, a road runner address is shown as handling dhcp. That's why "ipconfig /all" shows a 12.35 hour lease time instead of the 7 days lease time that would be shown if the router was handling it. How do I fix this?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

TebTeb

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Mele20:

I cannot connect to the modem's internal page. It should be at
»192.168.100.1/startup.html

But I get a 404 error there.

Take the /startup.html off. When i clicked the link I got the 404 error as well, but »192.168.100.1/ worked fine.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Ahhh...thank you! that did it. I was using an imported Fx bookmark from my XP computer.

Hmmm...the sig/noise ratio on the 4 downstream bonded channels was higher using the Surfboard Gateway Router/Modem (41-42) as opposed to (37) on the 6141. Plus, the downstream power level was zero on the gateway router/modem and is 3 on the 6141. I wonder why that much difference?
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

2 edits
reply to Mele20

All of your home networking issues and dhcp lease time issues are from your router. The 6141 isn't handling any of that since you have a router.

First I'd suggest shutting it all down and sequentially (modem, router, pc) starting them.

BTW, both signal sets as written from the 6580 and 6141 are well within spec for basic levels. The differences between the two could just be the differences between internal chipsets or firmware revisions. If I remember right the 6580 uses a Broadcom chipset and the 6141 uses a Texas Instruments chipset.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit

I've shut down the Win 8 machine. I always pull the plugs on the modem and both routers. I know how to reboot all of it properly. I can't shut down the XP machine because it is dying and it might not start again. Besides, the monitor no longer shows activity when i connect it to either of my two DVI ports on the XP machine so I can't see even to shut down the virtual machine running on it or do anything else.

You like to blame my router. It is NOT the routers.

This is an ugly modem. I have no idea what the icons are supposed to be. Why did Motorola do away with the nice, neat round buttons and the slim, taller, sleek and sophisticated look? Instead they have a FAT, squat, too short, sluggish looking modem with those two hideous blue colored buttons (I'll have to put tape over them) instead of nice, green round circles. Plus, no pause button! I have to keep jerking the cord out of the UPS instead..stupid design. Why so many different colors for the ugly icons? On should be green round circles and that is it ...except for the activity button they should have done away with as you have to cover it up because of the constant blinking. It is an ugly orange now. The color was much better on the 5100. My two routers have only green lights and I can't see them unless I stand up so the constant blinking doesn't bother me.

I have not connected the modem directly to the Win 8 computer and I don't want to do that because I am still hoping to be able to get the monitor to work again with the XP computer. It can't be the router because the dhcp lease time is 12.35 hours now and it is not being handled by the router.

BTW, I didn't ask for this upgrade. I was trying to downgrade to 3/384.

--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

4 edits

Click for full size
downloadSB6141.pdf 525,903 bytes
Motorola 6141 manual PDF
I suggest you read the Motorola 6141 manual, commonly available on the internet and I've uploaded a copy above, it'll answer many of your questions.... Blue colored LEDs mean bonded channels or GigE connection depending on which LED you're looking at. If send/receive LEDs are green colored that means single channel lock. An amber link LED means 10/100 ethernet connection. The new shape allows it to be laid down on it's side without looking odd and wall hanging without a homemade mounting bracket. The modems are international, so no need to make separately printed LED labels in other languages like the 5100s and earlier needed, one model can serve all countries as far as I know.

Ok, you have the PC plugged into the router and the router plugged into the modem. The PC is getting a IP from the router right? Something probably in the 192.168.x.1-255 range right? If it's getting an IP in that range, it's getting it from the router not the modem since it's no longer a combo router modem. If it's getting the IP from the router, it's getting the lease time from the router, that's the way DHCP works. If the router is set to pass on the DHCP parameters received by the modem, instead of creating it's own, that's another router config issue, but in that case your Win8 machine would be getting a public IP if it's able to access the internet. Tell us how it's not the router if that is what your PC is connected to?

The interconnection between your XP machine and Win8 machine is handled by your router. The modem shouldn't even see any of that traffic. So the machines not seeing each other is either a PC config issue or router issue.

You'd be able to check all of this if you had access to your own router, but you still don't know the password do you? Don't give us the story about why you can't access it again...

[edit] For those who want the story on Mele20's router password issue:
2007: »[Wired] BEFSR41 v3 password suddenly rejected
2008: »Re: Raising Awareness: Another CSRF Attack (Linksys)
2009: »Re: New PC Advice?
2010: »Re: Call up: change the default password on your home router
2012: »[TWC] No more perboost?
We won't go into the DHCP problems you know that particular router has... it's obviously a LONG time, sore subject.

Without testing against another router, testing without a router, or seeing what the router is currently configured for, your router is the mostly likely suspect in your PC DHCP lease issues.

[edit again]You can hard reset your router and setup the password again without losing the beta firmware on it, but if you really are worried about it you can get a copy of the beta BEFSR41V3_v1.06.05_000_code.bin firmware here: »Re: [ENG] TM402P reset
--

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

"You'd be able to check all of this if you had access to your own router, but you still don't know the password do you? Don't give us the story about why you can't access it again..."

I am sorry but I just laughed right out loud.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

join:2001-07-12
St. Pete, FL
kudos:2

It's a special feature of [sic] Linksy routers