join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness

Re: crooked steering wheel/grease

Nowadays, nothing needs to be greased. Most fittings are lifetime greased. Gone are the days of leaky ball joints and tie-rod ends that always needed grease.

Some u-joints can be greased. The axle usually may have a grease fitting if it is telescopic (usually only on manual transmissions.)

Ball joints don't come with grease fittings these days and usually already have grease.

Are you saying the steering wheel is no longer centered? That would likely be caused by adjusting the tie rods differently.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I wonder if the OP had a FE alignment at the same time?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I did not. They just put in a new grease fitting. Does that involve taking anything apart? I remember when I got the ball joints done, the steering wheel was crooked, so they had to do an alignment.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Replacing a zerk usually does not require it, unless it's in a very odd place. Most are in very accessible spots.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to shdesigns

MVM

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

Nowadays, nothing needs to be greased. Most fittings are lifetime greased. Gone are the days of leaky ball joints and tie-rod ends that always needed grease.

Back when I had my 02 Sierra 1500, I think there were 13 different grease fittings for various steering and suspension components. I can't speak specifically for the Ranger, but at least some vehicles of that vintage need the occasional squirt of grease.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Really depends where you get them and what quality they are. I only buy ball joints that have grease fittings. With fords you need to have the ability to grease them.