share rss forum feed

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to Rob

Re: Getting New HSI Account in My Name

That make sense for comcast, but why is the kid responsible for someone else's service? That is what I don't understand. When does one person become responsible for someone else's responsibility?

Zizoo

join:2010-05-12
PA

1 recommendation

He used the service that was in her name. He has just as much as a responsibility as she does to pay the bill in my opinion.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

That make sense for comcast, but why is the kid responsible for someone else's service? That is what I don't understand. When does one person become responsible for someone else's responsibility?

Because the kid lives in the same place, if he/she moves to an apartment and calls with no previous balance under its name they will sign him/her up fast and with a smile, ok maybe not the smile.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
reply to Zizoo
said by Zizoo:

He used the service that was in her name.

immaterial. The only person Comcast has any authority to go after would be the person who's name is on the account.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
said by ArrayList:

said by Zizoo:

immaterial. The only person Comcast has any authority to go after would be the person who's name is on the account.

Yep

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

said by Zizoo:

So the kid doesn't HAVE to pay, But comCast has the right to refuse service at that address until that bill is paid or they have PROOF that it is a new tennat.
The advise given, is for the OP's convience (and mothers credit rating) to work it out and pay it off.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
You can have multiple accounts at the same address, I don't know how his mothers service affects the OPs ability to get their own service. If OP has good credit, there is no risk for comast to provide service. I hope OP has some good alternatives to comcast.

OP shouldn't pay for it. It isn't their responsibility if they are not listed on the bill.

and yes, I understand that comcast may have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, but OP should check with his public utilities commission and see if that is legal for comcast to do that. I'm guessing it is, but it doesn't hurt to explore all avenues.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

It may not be fair, but you have to draw the line somewhere. And that line is that Comcast will allow new service if they can be provided evidence that the person who has the outstanding bill will not benefit from the continued service. And that evidence is usually in the form of a lease agreement.

The mother will benefit from the use of Comcast if Comcast allows the son to get the service under his name, while she owes money.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
So the mother is banned from enjoying any sort of Comcast service now? Can't go to someone's house and use the internet or watch TV?

In all seriousness order some service online. Worst case they deny it, then just order DSL.

The ordering service at another address bit seems interesting. Do you know someone that will let you? If Comcast denies you at your address you could try to order it and get it installed at another address, and then call comcast in a week or 2 and tell them you moved!
--
PRescott7-2097

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
You know what I mean -- benefit from the service in her own home after she has failed to pay for the service.

Unless things have changed, the Comcast system has different statuses in their billing system to indicate the status of the account. ACTV indicates the account is active. P/INS indicates there is a pending installation (usually either for new service, or when a technician is scheduled to install additional services), P/DS to indicate a pending disconnect, etc.

A P/DS status can happen for one of two reasons. The first is that the customer wishes to cancel their services, and once placed in P/DS, the equipment and services stop working. Another reason is if the customer is in past due status.

If you attempt to start service at an address where the current status is P/DS, you will not be able to have service installed.

So he can try ordering it online, but once Comcast sees the P/DS status, the system prevents new installation until the P/DS status is resolved.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 edit
reply to ArrayList
never mind