how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

PureMusic and Amarra for iTunes?

Has anyone used either of these and does it really make a difference?

Amarra - »www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarr···l#AMARRA

PureMusic - »www.channld.com/puremusic/

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

This kind of stuff really depends on the ears of the listener; PureMusic has a 15-day free trial, what have you got to lose by trying it yourself?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

SonicSupport

@comcast.net
reply to Squirrelly

Amarra also provides a 15-day trial and the current build is compatible with iTunes 11.

If you have questions, contact support@sonicstudio.com

SonicSupport

join:2012-12-05
San Anselmo, CA
reply to Squirrelly

A free 15-day trial of Amarra is available at our website, www.sonicstudio.com. Note that the current build of Amarra is iTunes 11 compatible.

If you have questions, please contact support@sonicstudio.com

Sonic Studio Customer Support

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

I will download and test it out at some point but I just don't understand how it's can make it sound better.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Squirrelly:

I will download and test it out at some point but I just don't understand how it's can make it sound better.

It may not depending on your overall audio system.

Noted features of PureMusic that audiophiles (more than likely) care about:

Up to 384 kHz sample rate
DSD (2.8 and 5.6 MHz) file playback on any DAC (real time PCM conversion)
Native DSD Streaming (with DAC that supports DoP)
Automatic sample rate switching
Gapless track playback and Memory Play
Adjustable Dithered Volume Control
Fast-Responding Firefly Metering, Monitor Input (Native) or Output (Post - Volume Control)
Real-Time Dynamic Range Meter
Supports CoreAudio Compatible Sound Cards / DACs / Audio Interfaces.
Mix to Mono, Exchange Left and Right Channels, Invert Polarity / Phase, Channel Balance Trim
Per-Track Polarity and Volume Tagging
CoreAudio Device HOG Mode Exclusive Access support
Internal Audio Device Selection and Setup (or use Apple Audio MIDI Setup)
Supports AudioUnit Audio processing plug-ins (parametric EQs, etc.)
Uncompressed audio streaming support (up to 384 kHz and up to four separate connections)
64-bit Adjustable 2/3/4-way Crossover with time alignment and adjustable minimum phase filters
Pure Vinyl's™ High Quality File Sample Rate Converter (downsample high-resolution audio to 96, 88.2, 48 or 44.1 kHz / 16, 24, or 32 bit files)
Our own proven, optimized algorithms for sample rate and DSD to PCM conversion - not built from a patchwork of "open source" software
The first Mac OS music server / audio player software (May 2011) to directly play DSD format (dsf / dff, 64Fs and 128Fs) audio files with any DAC (real-time conversion to PCM during playback)
Support for Direct DSD streaming without PCM conversion 2

If none of the above is important to you or relevant to your current audio setup, you might not see any real benefit from PureMusic.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

SonicSupport

join:2012-12-05
San Anselmo, CA
reply to Squirrelly

Squirrelly, the reason players like Amarra make your music sound better than iTunes is they are typically purpose built to do one thing and that's to play great sounding music. The core audio function on the Mac, which is what iTunes uses for playback, is also busy dealing with every other alert and interrupt that may occur. Amarra bypasses core audio and our Sonic Studio Engine plays back your music, it does one thing and does it right.

Darcilicious provided a laundry list of features that the majority of are common to all players. Each Player has unique features of their own such as Amarra's ability to play FLAC files natively, no conversion necessary. Most of the features don't have alot to do with sound quality directly, they are just nice to have features. For instance Amarra can play back 384k files, but unless you have 384k content and a 384k DAC, the feature has no value.

The bottom line is how efficiently can your music be moved from it's home on a disk somewhere to your ears. I know that Amarra does that more efficiently and effectively than iTunes can and the result is better sound across the entire music spectrum.

Give the trials a shot, they're free so you have nothing to lose.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by SonicSupport:

Each Player has unique features of their own such as Amarra's ability to play FLAC files natively, no conversion necessary.

Are you claiming that no other software package can playback flac files without conversion? You might want to re-think that...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to SonicSupport

Thanks for the Spam ... I was hungry this morning.