alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to LazMan

Re: Reenforcing floor joists vs. thicker subfloor

said by ropeguru:

Part of my issue is financing. I cannot afford the lump sum up front. Since I can buy the DriCore from Home Depot, I can stretch out the payment for up to 24 months.

The materials I listed are available at Home Depot as well. Well, DeltaMS might be trickier, but Platon should be available as a substitute (but less PSI capacity).

said by ropeguru:

I do have one question though. If you are anchoring the plywood to the concrete with tapcons, that should pull things down tight. Why would you get clicking from the DeltaMS?

You never know where the concrete slab might be uneven and still leave a gap. Also over the years, the plywood and XPS might compress a bit, making things a little bit loose.

The landscape fabric was only 15$, so I figured it's a no brainer.

said by LazMan:

I looked at doing platon and plywood/OSB... With my local material costs, it was only about a 5-10% premium to go with Dricore; and the ease of install was worth it...

I'm surprised, you either pay dirt cheap for Dricore, or too much for platon+plywood. My calculation above shows that it's 259$ cheaper to go Platon/Delta + plywood (if you don't add XPS).
If you included XPS in your calculation, then the premium is all about the added insulation of the XPS. Warm floor = yay.

It might be harder to install, but only slightly. Don't forget that each 4x8 is equal to 8 dricore panels. It's 8 tapcons per 4x8, which is a lot, ya but the solidness of the installation is uncomparable.

I have more faith on the floor's stability when it's a single piece 4x8 section with 8 tapcons, compared to 8 pieces of 2x2 that's just dropped there.
I can actually use my subfloor before the final floor is installed.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

That might be the case in Canada, but here in the States, I do not show platon nor the Delta products available from Home Depot. The Delta-FL is available via special order from Lowes though. But I do not have the same deal nor a credit card from Lowes.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

That's a shame.
Don't forget you can still buy as much as possible from HD and just pay up front on the Delta at Lowes.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

You never know where the concrete slab might be uneven and still leave a gap. Also over the years, the plywood and XPS might compress a bit, making things a little bit loose.

The landscape fabric was only 15$, so I figured it's a no brainer.

How exactly does the landscape fabric help with this?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by robbin:

How exactly does the landscape fabric help with this?

As you can see in the picture of the DeltaMS, it's dimpled plastic. Once/if it gets a little bit loose and starts moving up and down when you walk over the floor, it would hit the concrete slab and do click-clack noises. The landscape fabric acts as padding so there isn't that noise.

This thread is what inspired me to do this sort of subflooring (with landscape fabric).
»forums.redflagdeals.com/subfloor···-610572/
It's also where they discuss using DeltaMS instead of DeltaFL.
It's long but interesting.